Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

If you were the O's GM, what move(s) would you make right now?

If you were the O's GM, what move(s) would you make right now?

PostPost #1 by osforlife » April 23rd, 2012, 4:13 pm

Let's have a little fun on this rainy off-day. Explain your transactions and please make them within reason please.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: If you were the O's GM, what move(s) would you make right now?

PostPost #2 by senbillferg » April 23rd, 2012, 4:52 pm

(1) Find a dark hole for Gregg and keep him there.

(2) Bundy to Norfolk.

(3) Matusz to Norfolk to work out his issues.

(4) Strop as first-choice regular setup (ignoring last night's mishap).

(5) Pray for value for Roberts and send him on his way, Andino has proven his worth.

(6) Ship Reynolds and Machado off and trade for a highlight positional 3B hitter.
senbillferg
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Matt P » April 23rd, 2012, 5:14 pm

I'd send Nick Johnson down to AAA and call up Matt Antonelli as well as release Kevin Gregg and call up Pat Neshek.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by osforlife » April 23rd, 2012, 5:16 pm

(1) Cut Nick Johnson and bring up a long reliever (Berken, Piniero, Eveland)

(2) Cut Gregg and bring up a replacement (Phillips, Neshek)

(3) I would want to send down Matusz but there isn't really a reliable replacement
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by Zach » April 23rd, 2012, 5:56 pm

Bundy to Norfolk would not be a good idea. Keys maybe or even Bowie, but that much of a jump is not going to be help. Doesn't help his development. He has shown that he is that much better than low-A, but AAA is a huge jump. Why in the world would we trade Machado. The kid is producing very well at the AA level and is considered by most to be a top 10 prospect at a position that we need.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by A_K » April 23rd, 2012, 6:00 pm

1. Cut Kevin Gregg, replace with Jason Berken to be used as true long reliever.

2. Cut Nick Johnson, replace with Matt Antonelli. Use Antonelli as everyday 3B and Reynolds as everyday DH.

3. Move Bundy to Frederick and let him pitch a full starter's workload. He needs to turn a lineup over if he's going to make adjustments and improve his secondary pitches.

Not much else to be done right now. It'd be nice to send Matusz to the minors, but with no viable alternatives I don't see who comes up in his place. What's more, Matusz has shown a bit of progress lately, getting a fair amount of swinging strikes but getting some bad BABIP luck and poor defense behind him.

But I do think options 1 and 2 would meaningfully improve what is currently a very poorly constructed roster.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by senbillferg » April 23rd, 2012, 6:49 pm

Zach wrote:Bundy to Norfolk would not be a good idea. Keys maybe or even Bowie, but that much of a jump is not going to be help. Doesn't help his development. He has shown that he is that much better than low-A, but AAA is a huge jump. Why in the world would we trade Machado. The kid is producing very well at the AA level and is considered by most to be a top 10 prospect at a position that we need.

Good points, all around. Was probably writing too quickly and not thinking. Any chance Machado moves to 3rd, or does JJ just eventually get pushed?
senbillferg
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Zach » April 23rd, 2012, 8:57 pm

I think that we would end up pushing JJ to second rather than pushing machado to 3b. We are going to keep him at ss as long as he continues to produce.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » April 23rd, 2012, 9:00 pm

The first move I would make is to get a LRP.

I dread the night where a SP goes only 2 innings.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #10 by OriolesRedskins28 » April 23rd, 2012, 10:21 pm

As others have said:

1. Replace Kevin Gregg with Pat Neshek

2. Replace Luis Ayala with whatever the next best available reliever is in our minor leagues (Jason Berken?).

3. Trade Reynolds for a pack of chewing gum and call up Antonelli to replace him.

4. KEEP Bundy on his pitching schedule. Build his innings in a controlled environment where he can work on his secondary pitches. Move him to Frederick after 2-3 more starts and once he's stretched out and proven he can turn a lineup over a couple times, move him to Bowie.

5. When Zach Britton is ready to come off the DL I think it should be between Matusz and Hunter's rotation spot to lose. That will give them both about another month to improve, whichever one improves more should keep his rotation spot.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #11 by CSPitt17130 » April 23rd, 2012, 10:46 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:As others have said:

2. Replace Luis Ayala with whatever the next best available reliever is in our minor leagues (Jason Berken?).

3. Trade Reynolds for a pack of chewing gum and call up Antonelli to replace him.

What's wrong with Ayala?

Giving Reynolds some time to start hitting and gain some trade value is probably what the front office is currently thinking.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #12 by Ampontan » April 24th, 2012, 12:29 am

CSPitt17130 wrote:What's wrong with Ayala?

Nothing as far as I can see.

Reynolds: He usually starts slow. He started slow last year and hit 37 home runs.

Johnson: Unless they see something up close beyond what we can see with the batting average, the usual practice in baseball is to stick with a guy like this until about the end of May. That will give Antonelli a chance to get in the groove, or for Bill Hall to show if he has anything left.

One thing DD has shown so far is that he isn't afraid to make a move, so if there's a reasonable move to make, he'll make it.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #13 by Old Sneakers » April 24th, 2012, 12:46 am

Regarding Dylan Bundy

How about we let him build his innings up in Delmarva and if / when he's lights out through seven innings we consider a promotion to Frederick?

Jason Berken most likely will be back in Baltimore soon. Preferably as a reliever but I am not sure Brian Matusz is really making much of a case to stay so I wouldn't rule out a stint for Berken as a starter again. The team does need a long reliever and he has done well at that in the past. For all I know he serves in Baltimore in both roles this season. He might do well in a few spot starts skipping Matusz if needed.

I'm not ready to send Reynolds packing yet. But the team needs someone that can at least get on base and be a singles machine. Might be time to sit Reynolds a few games. Just to add to that, If Mark Reynolds was running up pitch counts every time he was batting I wouldn't worry so much about the low average and strike outs. Sadly he's not. Defensively I think these bugs should be worked out in the spring. We shouldn't be thinking about this now, but here we are...
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #14 by TuckerStokes » April 24th, 2012, 5:45 am

Easy,
I'd drop gregg now, trade Adam Jones for Shelby Miller, make sure we can land Mark Appel this year. I'd also rebuild the system without killing our chances at winning, there was this AA reliver I saw in the Mets organization who I liked and he was undervalued(throws VERY fast) I would trade for him and catcher Dusty Ryan.
TuckerStokes
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by ljmillar22 » April 24th, 2012, 7:54 am

Have to agree with Tuckerstokes about trading Jones, i dont care where he gets traded just want a good deal out of it, someone that can come along with the Bundys, Schoop and Machado.

I would try and get rid of Gregg anyway possible, even if it means eating some salary. Replace with Berken or Bergesen.

Mark Reynolds has again shown that he is a DH or 1B, he has limited trade value at the moment, need to wait until he is hitting HR's. (watching him is the most frustrating thing ever for me, as he doesnt make adjustments when hitting, its all or nothing, and watching him play 3B is equally frustrating as he either short arms throws or gets his footwork all wrong)

Im not sure what i would do with Matusz, if you send him down who do we bring up and would it shatter what is left of his confidence if he gets sent to AAA.
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles