Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Billy Rowell

Billy Rowell

PostPost #1 by KeysFan » November 8th, 2010, 2:11 am

Hello All. I'm new here. Glad I found this site. Tons of great info here.

Anyway, I was wondering what everyone thinks of Billy Rowell. As my name suggests, I am Keys fan from Frederick, MD. I went to about 20 games this season and if there was one thing we faithful Keys fans could count on was a big breeze by Billy when he'd swing and miss in key situations (no pun intended). When he got to 2 strikes, I'd tell my sons, "Get ready for the breeze." It was actually quite refreshing on those hot summer nights. ;) All the opposing pitcher had to do was give him something - anything off-speed, and he'd go fishing every time.

So, let's say he doesnt do well again this year. Do they add him to the 40 man roster or do they risk him getting away in the Rule 5 draft? How much more time can the organization give him to live up to his lofty potential?

I look forward to your replies.
KeysFan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Billy Rowell

PostPost #2 by hsbaseballcoach » November 8th, 2010, 9:26 pm

I have a feeling they will add him to the 40 man roster. Billy had a slightly better season last year than years past and is still young enough to turn into something as a big leaguer, even if his ceiling is much lower than the "can't miss" tag he was given when he came out of HS.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » November 8th, 2010, 10:01 pm

I also think Rowell gets one more year (I feel like I say that every year). However I do think this is his last chance to prove he can make it and needs to be a standout at AA (not just average) in order to continue comes 2012.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by Don » November 9th, 2010, 8:37 am

I still feel there is hope for this kid simply because he is not the organizational type. You watch his cage work and you automatically can see that he has the makings of future major league hitter. I simply think it is best that he explore all of his options and his production will come with another club.

Jayson Werth would have flamed out with the Orioles and he needed to see new surroundings and different voices to finally come along. This fanbase has simply been too hard on him to wanted lighting in a bottle. He will be exposed because they have a number of slots to add other players that will ultimately contribute to the majors next season or have a higher prospect status that the teams wants to lock down.

I suspect that he will not be picked in the rule 5 MLB phase because he would not last on anyones bench for more than a few weeks. He could end up selected during the MiLB phase and move to someone elses AA affiliate.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 11th, 2010, 4:33 pm

KeysFan wrote:So, let's say he doesnt do well again this year. Do they add him to the 40 man roster or do they risk him getting away in the Rule 5 draft? How much more time can the organization give him to live up to his lofty potential?

I think they'll take a risk and leave him off the 40 man. Is a team really going to keep Rowell, a player who's struggled at A+ and hasn't sniffed AA on their roster for any amount of time? I don't think so. That's not to say Rowell's time as a prospect is over, but it's getting there.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Minor Leagues