Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Claim Luis Exposito, Designate Josh Bell

Orioles Claim Luis Exposito, Designate Josh Bell

PostPost #1 by ofahn » April 17th, 2012, 4:00 pm

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [April 17, 2012 at 1:06pm CST]

The Orioles announced that they claimed catcher Luis Exposito off of waivers from the Red Sox. To create 40-man roster space for Exposito, Baltimore designated infielder Josh Bell for assignment.

The Red Sox designated Exposito and Michael Bowden for assignment in a recent roster shuffle. The 25-year-old Exposito spent last season at Triple-A, where he posted a .242/.298/.367 line in 359 plate appearances. He prevented one third of stolen base attempts from behind the plate.

Bell, once considered a top prospect, has fallen out of favor in Baltimore. He spent most of last season at Triple-A, where he posted a .253/.320/.438 line in 438 plate appearances as Norfolk's third baseman. He has a .485 OPS in 226 plate appearances at the MLB level.

posting.php?mode=post&f=2
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Claim Luis Exposito, Designate Josh Bell

PostPost #2 by osforlife » April 17th, 2012, 6:56 pm

I want to believe this move makes sense in the wake of Ward's and Ohlman's suspensions...but I just don't see it. Is this supposed to be a move to get Wheeler more playing time at third? But he's at Bowie and Bell was at Norfolk. Can someone please explain?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Ampontan » April 18th, 2012, 5:41 am

Let's see how this works.

1. Teagarden was supposed to be the backup, but it was reported earlier this week that they don't know when his back will be ready.

2. The falloff after Wieters / Paulino is steep. If there's an injury, there's not a real good replacement option there. Exposito seems to be better than the alternatives. So I think it's because of Teagarden instead of Ward and Ohlman, neither of whom are close to the majors.

3. Bell was already on the roster bubble. He was regressing instead of progressing. Do you think anyone will claim him for their 40-man? Probably not, but if they do, the Orioles seem prepared to lose him.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by ofahn » April 18th, 2012, 6:32 am

osforlife wrote:I want to believe this move makes sense in the wake of Ward's and Ohlman's suspensions...but I just don't see it. Is this supposed to be a move to get Wheeler more playing time at third? But he's at Bowie and Bell was at Norfolk. Can someone please explain?

There's an excellent chance that Bell will clear waivers and remain at Norfolk. He just won't be on the 40 man roster.

Maybe this will be a wake up call for him. He sure hasn't shown much desire lately.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by osforlife » April 18th, 2012, 2:10 pm

I would think Hester is about as good Expisito if not better. And thats good that Bell is probably staying in the organization.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by A_K » April 18th, 2012, 3:33 pm

ofahn wrote:
osforlife wrote:I want to believe this move makes sense in the wake of Ward's and Ohlman's suspensions...but I just don't see it. Is this supposed to be a move to get Wheeler more playing time at third? But he's at Bowie and Bell was at Norfolk. Can someone please explain?

There's an excellent chance that Bell will clear waivers and remain at Norfolk. He just won't be on the 40 man roster.

Maybe this will be a wake up call for him. He sure hasn't shown much desire lately.

Why would you assume it a matter of desire, rather than ability?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by ofahn » April 18th, 2012, 3:39 pm

A_K wrote:Why would you assume it a matter of desire, rather than ability?

Because he's entering into his peak performance age years and his results are regressing.

This is his third year at AAA. He should own this league by now. IMO his declining production is a combination of frustration and disinterest.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » April 18th, 2012, 7:10 pm

I just wonder what really happened to Josh Bell. Once he came to the O's it seems like his ability to get on base vanished.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by Ampontan » April 19th, 2012, 12:05 am

Maybe he maxed out. Some players are OK at lower A, but can't handle upper A. Some reach their ceiling by failing at AA. Bell's never been that good AAA. Maybe that's just an indication of his skill level.

Just a theory, though.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #10 by Matt P » April 19th, 2012, 1:23 pm

Ampontan wrote:Maybe he maxed out. Some players are OK at lower A, but can't handle upper A. Some reach their ceiling by failing at AA. Bell's never been that good AAA. Maybe that's just an indication of his skill level.

Just a theory, though.

It's certainly possible. I guess no one will ever really know.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Minor Leagues