Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Adam Jones

Adam Jones

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » April 17th, 2012, 6:05 am

Against the Yankees in a critical at-bat, Jones struck out, but you could see him trying too hard to come through for the team, he just was not used to that type of in game situation and it showed in his approach. Well last night he needed to hit a homerun to tie the game with two outs in the top of the 9th, and Adam once again was showing you the effort you want to see. This time, he connected and drilled a shot to center field. It was a moment of growth, potentially of leadership, it was great to see, and a something we should expect from our #4 hitter, by coming through in the clutch. I was happy for him.

The bad news is Adam should have been signed to an extension before the season began. My opinion was Adam should have been looked upon with Matt Wieters (who also did well offensively last night), to lead this club for the next 5 years offensively. Some will argue he is not a true centerfielder, but so what? Once the albatross of Markakis' contract is done in two years he could have been shifted to right field. You would end up paying a little more because of it, but its not like the team is saddled with many long term deals. Maybe the Orioles will surprise and get it done. :|

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... -more.html
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Adam Jones

PostPost #2 by Ampontan » April 17th, 2012, 7:15 am

There are rumors from semi-believable sources that Jones wasn't interested and would rather hit free agency. If the team continues to do well, and he is convinced BS and DD are turning it around, perhaps he will change his mond.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #3 by ofahn » April 17th, 2012, 7:58 am

Adam Jones is off to a good start in average and has hit four home runs in just ten games. Two of those homers have been in key spots BUT, to me, the most telling number is ONE. That's the number of RBIs he has that have not come from his four solo homers.

We need about 100 RBIs from anyone hitting in the 3-4-5 slots. Unless Adam plans on hitting about 80 HRs he won't get near that number. That's why, IMO, Adam Jones best value to this team is as a trade piece that could return three B+ or better prospects in July.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by CSPitt17130 » April 17th, 2012, 10:20 am

How many at-bats has he had with RISP? He only has 44 total plate appearances. It's still way too early to worry about that, unless you're implying that having runners on is affecting the quality of his at-bats. That is another issue and I don't know how you would know that.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by ofahn » April 17th, 2012, 11:51 am

CSPitt17130 wrote:How many at-bats has he had with RISP? He only has 44 total plate appearances. It's still way too early to worry about that, unless you're implying that having runners on is affecting the quality of his at-bats. That is another issue and I don't know how you would know that.

All I'm saying is that he's a GOOD player, not a GREAT player. I think it's a mistake giving GREAT player money to another just GOOD player. I would rather use it for players that are not replaceable. Like Wieters.

Trading Jones could help restock the farm system for the 2014 -2015 teams that have a chance to go to the post season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » April 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Ampontan wrote:There are rumors from semi-believable sources that Jones wasn't interested and would rather hit free agency. If the team continues to do well, and he is convinced BS and DD are turning it around, perhaps he will change his mond.

With DD in charge now, I don't see things going that far. There will be a deadline set and if he doesn't extend, he is moved. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by CSPitt17130 » April 17th, 2012, 4:49 pm

ofahn wrote:
All I'm saying is that he's a GOOD player, not a GREAT player. I think it's a mistake giving GREAT player money to another just GOOD player. I would rather use it for players that are not replaceable. Like Wieters.

Trading Jones could help restock the farm system for the 2014 -2015 teams that have a chance to go to the post season.

I completely agree with this. I hope he continues to "break out", hitting homeruns and stealing bases and nets the O's a huge haul at the deadline. I just disagree that his lack of RBIs 10 games into the season is the reason why he's a GOOD player and not a GREAT player.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » April 17th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Unfortunately baseball is all about overpaying, easy to do when its the taxpayer putting up the dough for the stadiums etc, but I digress. :P

Adam provides some offensive balance for an organization that is not going to be producing any offensive players for the next 2 years. Britton, Arrieta, Matusz are all young and they need some support to help build their confidence by keeping them in games and maybe even winning a few. Those guys need help, they do not perform in a bubble.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Beaker » April 25th, 2012, 12:42 pm

I think it would be a mistake to trade Jones. He is an above average CFer and he has done nothing but improve on his power numbers in each year he has been with the Orioles. He is also still young.
Beaker
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles