Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matusz

Re: Matusz

PostPost #16 by Tucker Blair » March 19th, 2012, 1:33 pm

At this point, I don't think it would be a shock at all to see Matusz in Baltimore and Britton at AAA.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #17 by Tucker Blair » March 20th, 2012, 1:06 pm

5 IP , 7 H, 1R, 3 K, 1 BB, 3 DP for Matusz today so far

Not the greatest start but still making a strong case for a rotation spot.
Encouraging to say the least, although I highly doubt he gets 3 DP in the regular season.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #18 by ofahn » March 20th, 2012, 1:26 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:5 IP , 7 H, 1R, 3 K, 1 BB, 3 DP for Matusz today so far

Not the greatest start but still making a strong case for a rotation spot.
Encouraging to say the least, although I highly doubt he gets 3 DP in the regular season.

Yeah, overall, he didn't impress me today.

What I did like to see was how he got out of the jam in the 1st. In the past he would have gotten frustrated, grooved a pitch, and watched a three run homer leave the park.

There HAS been some improvement.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by dan72 » March 26th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Matusz deserves to be in the rotation. He put in the work and it's obvious in the results....Prediction: AL comeback player of the year.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #20 by Matt P » March 26th, 2012, 6:17 pm

dan72 wrote:Matusz deserves to be in the rotation. He put in the work and it's obvious in the results....Prediction: AL comeback player of the year.

All he has to do is keep his ERA under 5.00 and he will be in the mix.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » March 31st, 2012, 5:21 am

So-so performance Friday. Bad start, strong finish. Fastball touched 93 mph. Does he get the #5 slot?? Orioles have a tough call IMHO 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #22 by osforlife » March 31st, 2012, 7:40 am

I still don't think he should be in the rotation. Can't we have say...Tillman start one or two games until Wada is ready to come off the DL. Maybe, Wada will be ready. Who knows...
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #23 by Matt P » April 10th, 2012, 12:02 am

Well, he was horrible in his first start. The only positive to take out of it was that he at least was throwing in the lower 90's rather than the upper 80's.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #24 by Rising O's » April 10th, 2012, 12:08 am

Glad I got called in to work so I missed this game. I sure hope his struggles today were mechanical and not mental because I am sick of losing to the ankees.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #25 by CSPitt17130 » April 10th, 2012, 2:36 pm

I think it was more of an issue of control than lack of stuff.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #26 by osforlife » April 10th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Many fastballs were up and away to right handed hitters. That means he is either over-throwing or not following through. I'am gonna repeat what Palmer said. Matusz was a thrower last night, not a pitcher. I'am gonna stick to my statement throughout the offseason that he shouldn't have been on this club to start the season and so far I've been right. I was not impressed with him last night and if he pitches like that in his next start, he'll be demoted once Wada comes back. I know it was against the Yankees, but after a season like last years, he doesn't havent much breathing room for excuses. Other than a tick in velocity and a better curveball, I saw no difference in the 2011 Matusz than the 2012 Matusz. Hopefully in his next start against the blue jays, he'll prove me wrong.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #27 by Ampontan » April 11th, 2012, 7:23 am

osforlife wrote:I'am gonna stick to my statement throughout the offseason that he shouldn't have been on this club to start the season and so far I've been right. I was not impressed with him last night and if he pitches like that in his next start, he'll be demoted once Wada comes back.

Ditto posts are frowned on at websites, but I agree with all of this.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #28 by birdwatcher55 » April 16th, 2012, 1:39 pm

I seriously wonder how much longer you go with Matusz, who is looking more and more like a draft bust??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #29 by DougDE » April 16th, 2012, 10:34 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I seriously wonder how much longer you go with Matusz, who is looking more and more like a draft bust???

For the immediate future I think you give him one more start and if it's more of the same he goes to Norfolk and tries to work it out there
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #30 by Beaker » April 25th, 2012, 11:09 am

I think Matusz is on a very short leash. We have Tillman, Bergesen and also the emergence of possibly Steve Johnson as possible replacements for Matusz if he continues to suck.
Beaker
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles