Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

8 weeks to go

8 weeks to go

PostPost #1 by docjj » April 14th, 2012, 8:21 pm

some guys like Zimmer are outstanding one day, and not as good the next. Appel and Gaussman fit this description too. Buxton I think is risky. He might be the super stud of the draft, but he might miss completely. Reminds me of a slightly better and bigger version of Xavier Avery.

I'd be tempted by Giolito if he is there at 4. Of course, with the Hobgood disaster, I could see how this might deter them. This draft isn't nearly as clear cut as past years....
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: 8 weeks to go

PostPost #2 by CSPitt17130 » April 14th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Comparing Buxton to Avery and Giolito to Hobgood is ridiculous. Neither of the O's draftees are close to Buxton or Giolito.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by docjj » April 15th, 2012, 1:28 pm

I wasn't comparing, per say. I was pointing out that the O's may be reluctant to pick Giolito given hs injury. After they were snakebit on Hobgood, they might fear taking another high school righty who has an injury.

Avery was a toolsy athlete from Georgia. He has this in common With Buxton. Obviously, Buxton is considered a vastly superior prospect, but the point is he is facing poor competition, hasn't hit a HR yet this season, and the O's are poor at developing tools guys. They need highly polished guys like Wieters.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » April 16th, 2012, 7:52 am

If he was there I would take Giolito and I think the Orioles will too. All assuming there is no tear which will require TJS.

It seems more likely we will have our choice of a pitcher. Gausman and Zimmer would be fine picks at #4, given their youth, inexperience, stuff, projection and stamina.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » April 16th, 2012, 1:35 pm

docjj wrote:some guys like Zimmer are outstanding one day, and not as good the next. Appel and Gaussman fit this description too. Buxton I think is risky. He might be the super stud of the draft, but he might miss completely. Reminds me of a slightly better and bigger version of Xavier Avery.

I'd be tempted by Giolito if he is there at 4. Of course, with the Hobgood disaster, I could see how this might deter them. This draft isn't nearly as clear cut as past years....

I agree totally but IF Giolito is close to being okay, you grab him at #4. When healthy, he is the best player in this draft from what I have read. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » April 16th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Rising O's wrote:If he was there I would take Giolito and I think the Orioles will too. All assuming there is no tear which will require TJS.

It seems more likely we will have our choice of a pitcher. Gausman and Zimmer would be fine picks at #4, given their youth, inexperience, stuff, projection and stamina.

Even if he needs TJS, I think I would still roll the dice at #4 and wait on his recovery 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » April 17th, 2012, 6:12 am

I would rather they know that it needs to be done before trying to have him rehabiliate in extended spring or rookie ball potentially causing more damage. We've seen what they have done to a few of our top pitching prospects, I do not trust them to get it right. But given Strasburg's success early on this year, maybe this is one guy to take a chance on. If the guy is rated as a Jameson Taillon then he is an easy pick at #4.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to MLB Draft