Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Dylan Bundy Is Perfect In His Pro Debut

Dylan Bundy Is Perfect In His Pro Debut

PostPost #1 by ofahn » April 7th, 2012, 10:16 am

Here is Steve Melewski's report.

I guess right-hander Dylan Bundy could have had a better pro debut. He could have struck out all nine batters he faced.

He didn't quite do that, but he was very impressive nonetheless when he took the mound last night in Asheville, N.C., for his first game in the O's organization.

Scheduled to pitch three innings, Bundy retired the Tourists in order three straight times with six strikeouts to pitch Delmarva to a 7-2 win in the Shorebirds South Atlantic League season opener. Bundy's debut was pushed back one night after Thursday's scheduled game was rained out.

The 19-year-old 2011 Orioles first-round pick struck out the side in the first inning. He got a groundout, fly out and strikeout in the second, and went strikeout, groundout, strikeout in the third.

I am told he threw about 45 pitches and his fastball touched 97 mph once or twice. He pitched mostly in the 94, 95 mph range. He went to a pair of 3-2 counts but Asheville could not touch him up for even a single base hit.

Bundy is due to make his second pro start Wednesday when Delmarva plays at Kannapolis.

Here are some play-by-play highlights from Bundy's stunning outing last night as called by Delmarva radio broadcaster Bret Lasky.

Here are some play by play segments of his strikeouts courtesy of Steve.

http://soundcloud.com/smelewski/a-stron ... -for-dylan
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Dylan Bundy Is Perfect In His Pro Debut

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » April 7th, 2012, 11:27 am

Awesome. Hope the hype machine stays out of his head.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » April 7th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Minor should hold him an extra day for the home opener Thursday.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by Matt P » April 11th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Another impressive start.
Dylan Bundy's second pro start for the Orioles went about as well as the first one.

In fact, just as he did in that outing last Friday night, Bundy tonight retired all nine batters he faced for Single-A Delmarva over three perfect innings, this time at Kannapolis, again with six strikeouts.

He has pitched six perfect innings with 12 strikeouts over his first two outings.

Bundy struck out the first batter he faced in this game and then the last five to come up against him.

Bundy's line tonight: 3IP, 0H, 0R, 0BB, 6K.

Shorebirds broadcaster Bret Lasky had Bundy at 31 pitches after he threw 45 in his first game.

Bundy is now out of the game at this point and Trent Howard has taken over in a scoreless game in the last of the fourth.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... bundy.html
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by dan72 » April 12th, 2012, 11:23 am

I hate to rush him, but its obvious he is on another level than the rest of the competition at DelMarva. I hope they let him go 5 innings next time out.
2k's per IP is dominating. Since he is on the 40 man you know he is going to advance quickly. So long as there is no set backs
Darfting Dylan maybe the best move the birds have made since drafting Wieters.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by ofahn » April 12th, 2012, 11:34 am

dan72 wrote:I hope they let him go 5 innings next time out.

I agree with your thinking but I might suggest a different approach. Since he only needed 31 pitches to run through nine batters, maybe they should allow him 60 pitches and see how far he can go with that.

Eventually, let him go to 75 pitches, and if he's getting into the seventh and still dominant; send him to Frederick with a 75 pitch limit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Bowie by August.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Zach » April 12th, 2012, 1:02 pm

I agree that expanding pitch counts is a much better way of advancing than by using inning distinctions, however, if he is one an innings limit for the year that might not be the best way to do it in order to have him pitching the entire season. I would rather see him developing through the year (hopefully in Bowie by late in the season) then expand pitch counts early and prematurely reach the innings limit.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » April 12th, 2012, 1:26 pm

I completely agree on expanding and monitoring him based on pitch count and not IP.

Given he has only thrown 76 pitches total in his two outings, I'd even be OK with 50 next time out (specially since I have to miss it) and continue to expand to 60 and 75 over time.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #9 by OriolesRedskins28 » April 13th, 2012, 12:47 am

Dave Cameran gave an interesting anecdote on fangraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... or-a-ball/

I think he should remain in Delmarva to build his pitch counts up in a controlled environment and then advance to Frederick. If he dominates Frederick he should get to Bowie by the end of the year.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #10 by ofahn » April 13th, 2012, 6:35 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Dave Cameran gave an interesting anecdote on fangraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... or-a-ball/

Thanks. That was a good read.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Zach » April 13th, 2012, 8:01 am

After some of the missteps from our minor league system I am hesitant to see us rush a prospect up through the system quickly, but it sounds like Bundy might force the organization's hand.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #12 by ofahn » April 13th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Zach wrote:After some of the missteps from our minor league system I am hesitant to see us rush a prospect up through the system quickly, but it sounds like Bundy might force the organization's hand.

I don't disagree with what you have said but, IMO, if a player is dominant at a level and he is meeting the goals the organization has set for him then moving him along faster is not rushing him. Each player develops at their own pace.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Ampontan » April 13th, 2012, 11:34 pm

Matt Riley was dominant at his minor league stops too, and he got moved up fast. Not such a good idea. Bundy seems to have a better mental/emotional approach than Riley, but I won't be disappointed if he doesn't get past Frederick this year.

There are reports, BTW, that he was roughed up a few times in spring training intrasquad games, and once didn't make it out of an inning, so let's not sew an S on his chest yet.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #14 by thezeroes » April 14th, 2012, 9:28 am

Inter squad spring training is were players work out kinks on things that may use during the year and I would not hold much stock in them.

Lets just say that Dylan was told to throw only a four seam fast ball through out the game because he was working on arm slot, landing, location. This would get almost everyone "Lit Up" if the batters had nothing else to worry about. Not knowing what the coaches had told/wanted from Dylan in these games would leave the fans at a dis-advantage by reading any stat lines.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » April 17th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Bundy makes his third appearance tonight.
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Next

Return to Minor Leagues