Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Sign Joel Pineiro

Orioles Sign Joel Pineiro

PostPost #1 by ofahn » April 11th, 2012, 5:21 pm

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [April 11, 2012 at 4:27pm CST]

The Orioles have signed right-hander Joel Pineiro to a minor league deal, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports (Twitter links). They Orioles will assign the Wasserman Media Group client to Triple-A for now, but they've signed him with the intention of using him as a long-reliever in the Major Leagues.

Pineiro signed a minor league deal with the Phillies in January and would have earned $1.5MM on the MLB roster, but they released him before Opening Day. Pineiro started 24 games for the 2011 Angels, posting a 5.13 ERA with 3.8 K/9 and 2.3 BB/9 in 145 2/3 innings.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/04/o ... neiro.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Sign Joel Pineiro

PostPost #2 by Zach » April 11th, 2012, 6:07 pm

another low risk signing
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by Matt P » April 11th, 2012, 6:35 pm

He's a guy I thought they should take a look at in the off season on a minor league deal. Hopefully he still has something left and can be ready soon.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by osforlife » April 11th, 2012, 8:27 pm

So he'll report to Norfolk, who's getting demoted or released? Chris George maybe? The signing makes sense, but I'd rather have Patton get extended every time out and be the long reliever instead of having Pinerio called up.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by Ampontan » April 12th, 2012, 5:01 am

Willis says he's got a sore shoulder. He might go on the DL, though come to think of it, they'll still have to find roster space.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » April 12th, 2012, 5:20 am

Goodbye, Kevin Gregg?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by dan72 » April 12th, 2012, 11:38 am

Patton pitched well last year down the stretch and I think we saw his ceiling. I have never had much faith in him having seen him struggle in the minors. When you see these guys faulter in AAA it makes me wonder how they got promoted in the first place. I guess its a need based promotion.
Patton doesn't have a big league fastball that he can go to to get outs when needed. he is a nibbler/ pitch to contact type pitcher..... I hope he outperforms my expectations.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by ofahn » April 12th, 2012, 11:48 am

dan72 wrote:Patton pitched well last year down the stretch and I think we saw his ceiling. I have never had much faith in him having seen him struggle in the minors. When you see these guys faulter in AAA it makes me wonder how they got promoted in the first place. I guess its a need based promotion.
Patton doesn't have a big league fastball that he can go to to get outs when needed. he is a nibbler/ pitch to contact type pitcher..... I hope he outperforms my expectations.

IMO he's best suited to be a long guy. He can go four or five innings and, as a LH, he could follow a hard throwing RH with softer LH finesse. It would be enough of a contrast that it could slow down a LH lineup at least one time through the order.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by osforlife » April 12th, 2012, 5:56 pm

ofahn wrote:
dan72 wrote:Patton pitched well last year down the stretch and I think we saw his ceiling. I have never had much faith in him having seen him struggle in the minors. When you see these guys faulter in AAA it makes me wonder how they got promoted in the first place. I guess its a need based promotion.

IMO he's best suited to be a long guy. He can go four or five innings and, as a LH, he could follow a hard throwing RH with softer LH finesse. It would be enough of a contrast that it could slow down a LH lineup at least one time through the order.

Long guy, exactly. Quit this one inning stuff. He's been a starter all his life, so use him to go 3-4-5 innings.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles