Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 12th, 2010, 8:13 pm

I apologize for the lack of content, I've been extremely busy. We will continue with the top 50 prospects countdown Thursday and hopefully finish the next 47 over the following 47 days.

Use this thread to discuss anything related to this year's Arizona Fall League.

The following players will represent the Orioles (more here):

You can read more about how the AFL works and its rules here. O's players will play for the Scottsdale Scorpions.

Links
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League Thread

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » October 12th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Timely...I was just coming here to post about the start of the AFL. Curious to hear who everyone thinks will shine the brightest of all the Orioles prospects at the AFL.

I'll start with my projection of Ryan Adams. I feel like he started developing a little more pop in the bat in 2010 and this venue seems to work well for gap type hitters with a little pop. I am really interested in seeing how he fairs playing more 3B which I see is where he is starting tonights opening game.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Don » October 13th, 2010, 10:31 am

I was talking with my friend and scout last week. We openly talked about the need to have a solid replacement either through free agency or the organization with regards to second base. Brian Roberts has come to a point where the team needs to have a solid 1a that can come in and replace Roberts for 20-30-40 games. The combination of injury history and his style of play makes the need for both a short term and long term solution, imperative.

Funny that this was brought up by Roch just the other day.

It would be nice to see Ryan Adams log a fair amount of secondbase in the AFL. He might not be a gold glove wizard, but he is atheltic enough to man second and turn the double play. (Which was a major issue for the Orioles most of this past season.) He has slowly improved over the years and a .960 fielding percentage is not the worst the Orioles have seen man secondbase in the last ten years. He has the contact and power potential to supplant his short comings in the field. You never know and it is possible that he could be the Orioles version of Martin Prado.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » October 13th, 2010, 2:26 pm

I would remind everyone that when he was here on the Eastern Shore, Adams broke the SAL single season record for errors. The record was previously held by?......Juan Samuel. Certainly not a Hall of Famer, but if Adams could turn into Samuel.....I'll take it. .260BA, 15HR, 70RBI, 30SB.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Don » October 16th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Solid first week for Ryan Adams.... A guy who is hitting .500 and decent power and with runners in scoring position over almost 20 plate appreances. This is the results that could launch him into the utility role or better with a solid spring training. He is moving in the right direction.

You have to take AFL with a grain of salt because teams do not send their best pitchers, but what would you rather have with Ryan, a .200 average and loads of strikeouts or .500 average with solid numbers?
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » October 18th, 2010, 11:14 pm

I know its only a week into this, but since I can't manage to get one prospect right, I'll take this as an early win. Ryan Adams, Co Player of the week in the AFL.

I know this is a hitting league, but Joseph, Adams and Miclat are all off to good starts.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by ZBall2131 » October 24th, 2010, 9:37 pm

It's nice to see Miclat hitting well over there too. He's always shown good plate discilpine, a decent bat, and a solid glove.

I'll be very keen to see how he finishes up his stint in AZ.
ZBall2131
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #8 by ZBall2131 » October 24th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Pitching hasn't been overly impressive. I've never really been a big Wynn Pelzer guy, and Drake tends to look overmatched when the pressure is on.
ZBall2131
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #9 by Don » October 25th, 2010, 11:37 am

Do not look too much into Pelzer issues. I was told that the Orioles have asked each pitcher to place emphasis on improvements and basic work.

Pelzer, for instance, was told specifcally to work on his throwing plane. It was an issue I highlighted during the first trade. He stands too tall in his follow through and they are working on his release point. It will take a ton of time and his numbers should be dis-regarded.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 11th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Adam Foster (Project Prospect) spent a week at the AFL and posted thoughts on some Orioles through twitter:

Adam Foster wrote:Xavier Avery may be the worst hitter out here. RT @Orioles_Nation: Have you seen any O's yet?

Adam Foster wrote:Saw him swing through three pitches in one BP session. RT @Orioles_Nation: What don't you like about Avery?

I talked to Adam through DM and he said he saw a few of the Orioles, but none of them stood out to him. I asked him specifically about Ryan Adams and he said he didn't make any lasting impressions, but wanted to see more of him. He may upload video of Adams soon.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Minor Leagues