Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Millwood back for 2011?

Millwood back for 2011?

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » September 30th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Just putting this out there. Don't have any source saying it or anything, so don't attack me for it. Never even said I liked it. Just the thought.

What would you think if the O's brought back Kevin Millwood as a back end starter next year? Wouldn't cost nearly as much, and has supposedly helped the young pitchers a lot, let alone he truly is a class act and fan friendly guy.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Millwood back for 2011?

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » October 2nd, 2010, 1:50 pm

Let's hope not. If he is we will all be looking forward to '12 very quickly.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by DougDE » October 2nd, 2010, 2:01 pm

Yeah I'll take a pass on that one also. He served a purpose here this year and he wasnt quite as horrible as his numbers initially suggest, but that ship has sailed in my opinion
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by CamdenRevival » October 2nd, 2010, 10:30 pm

I think he's better off somewhere else. He'll be 36, so he's really not long for the future of this club. Plus, if he stays, he'll be blocking a prospect that is likely ready (Britton, Tillman) given Guts, Bergy, Matusz, & Jake are locks. I think you've gotta let Millwood go and let Britton & Tillman battle for the 5 spot (and maybe make Jake feel like his spot is up for grabs as well--just like they did this year with Tillman).

Man, I really like how our rotation looks for 2011--even if we don't add anyone.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by DougDE » October 3rd, 2010, 12:37 am

Id be okay with it if they didnt sign a starter this offseason. They have the 6 you just named and free agent starting pitching is so expensive and risky. I say let the guys at the back end battle it out in spring training and take the best 5. Then you see what you're getting out of the 5 hole and how the team is doing, and if need be a trade can be made.
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by CamdenRevival » October 3rd, 2010, 2:33 am

I agree with that. I don't think a starter is a necessity. If he's mediocre, I'd rather hand the ball to Tillman/Britton and take my chances. If he's worth having, he'll be too expensive and would likely be a bust anyway. I was watching the Red Sox telecast tonight and they were saying that John Lackey was going for his 14th win tomorrow, which would tie for the 2nd highest total of his career. Wow, 31 years old playing for a perennial playoff contender for the previous 7 seasons and he's only won over 14 games once? And yet he got $16M/year for five years. The market is ridiculous. Same with watching Barry Zito this afternoon. How about AJ vs Dice-K tonight? Two more examples of signing mistakes. I think the last time the Orioles invested in a big-name FA pitcher was Sidney Ponson. Ouch.

With the exception of a CC, free agents pitchers are rarely the heroes you predict them to be. No thanks--I'd gladly put that $$ into the big bopper.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by LukeScottsShotgun » October 6th, 2010, 8:34 am

CamdenRevival wrote:I agree with that. I don't think a starter is a necessity. If he's mediocre, I'd rather hand the ball to Tillman/Britton and take my chances. If he's worth having, he'll be too expensive and would likely be a bust anyway. I was watching the Red Sox telecast tonight and they were saying that John Lackey was going for his 14th win tomorrow, which would tie for the 2nd highest total of his career. Wow, 31 years old playing for a perennial playoff contender for the previous 7 seasons and he's only won over 14 games once? And yet he got $16M/year for five years. The market is ridiculous. Same with watching Barry Zito this afternoon. How about AJ vs Dice-K tonight? Two more examples of signing mistakes. I think the last time the Orioles invested in a big-name FA pitcher was Sidney Ponson. Ouch.

With the exception of a CC, free agents pitchers are rarely the heroes you predict them to be. No thanks--I'd gladly put that $$ into the big bopper.

I would like to add one starter. Preferably a guy like Westbrook or Kuroda. Adding a starter should definitely not be very high on the priority list though. It is interesting to note though that Buck did campaign to get Randy Johnson while he was with Arizona and Buck loves having a strong rotation, so Cliff Lee might be more than a pipe dream. I highly doubt MacPhail would do that though.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by OFFNY » October 13th, 2010, 5:09 pm

I don't have a problem with Millwood coming back for another season for less money. He may be the best 4-15 pitcher in the history of the game. Also, by all accounts, he was well liked by all of his teammates.

If Millwood can give us at least 20 quality starts and eat a lot of innings in 2011, that would be an excellent (continued) stop gap for the rising young pitchers like Matusz, Bergesen, Arrieta, Tillman, Britton, Hernandez, etc. We're probably still a year away from contending for a playoff spot, anyway. Let's try to get a winning season next year (between 83 and 86 wins), and then we can reevaluate what we want for 2012 (that probably would not include Millwood).

COLTS, ORIOLES, BULLETS - 1971
OFFNY
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles