Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Billy Rowell Is Going To Try Pitching

Billy Rowell Is Going To Try Pitching

PostPost #1 by ofahn » April 6th, 2012, 7:04 pm

April 6, 2012 7:37 PM by Steve Melewski

Orioles 2006 first-round draft pick Billy Rowell, who has struggled the last few years as a hitter, has agreed to take a shot at pitching.

He has been taking part in the beginnings of throwing program the last two days in Sarasota and will continue with that for about a month. At that point, the Orioles will decide if he has made enough progress to pitch in extended spring training games. If he advances past that, he could possibly join a minor league affiliate as a pitcher later this season.

After producing some solid offensive numbers very early in his career, Rowell, the ninth pick in round one, has struggled at bat since his first two seasons and has not lived up to the promise of a first-round pick. After spending three seasons in A-ball, he hit just .227 in a reserve role last year at Double-A Bowie.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... ation.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Billy Rowell Is Going To Try Pitching

PostPost #2 by docjj » April 6th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Good for him. I met him at Frederick. He's a nice guy, contrary to what some have posted online. But I knew he'd never make it as a hitter. I saw him go 0-4 with 4 K's at Frederick once. He just couldn't recognize the breaking ball and he swung at fastballs in the dirt. I wonder how strong his arm is? Did he pitch in high school?

The smarter move would be to make Hobgood a hitter. His shoulder is toast. As a physician who cares for sports injuries, I can attest...this guy's done as a pitcher. From what I recall reading, he was a pretty good masher at the plate too.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Return to Minor Leagues