Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Waive Alfredo Simon

Orioles Waive Alfredo Simon

PostPost #1 by ofahn » March 30th, 2012, 9:09 pm

By Zach Links [March 30, 2012 at 7:17pm CST]

The Orioles have waived right-hander Alfredo Simon, a source confirmed to Dan Connolly of The Baltimore Sun (via Twitter). Simon, 30, had a 4.90 ERA with 6.5 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 16 starts and seven relief appearances last season.

One National League exec told Connolly (via Twitter) that it's hard to imagine Simon not getting claimed based on his ability, though consistency is a concern with him. Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com tweets that the move will help to create room on the 40-man roster as the O's need space for Nick Johnson and Ronny Paulino.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/03/o ... simon.html

SARASOTA, Fla. - An industry source has confirmed that the Orioles have placed pitcher Alfredo Simon on waivers.

Simon entered spring training as a candidate for both the rotation and bullpen, but he was slowed by a groin injury and allowed six runs and six hits over two innings upon his return on Wednesday in Dunedin.

Simon is likely to be claimed by another team because of his upper-90s fastball and versatility.

The Orioles need to clear room on their 40-man roster with the expected additions of catcher Ronny Paulino and first baseman Nick Johnson.

Executive vice president Dan Duquette wouldn't confirm Simon's placement on the waiver wire, saying that the waiver process is "confidential."

The Baltimore Sun first reported that Simon's name appeared on the waiver wire.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... ivers.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Waive Alfredo Simon

PostPost #2 by Ampontan » March 30th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Two possibilities come to mind:

1. I don't understand the ins and outs of it, but the Strop/Gonzalez deal wasn't a straight trade. I think it involved Strop being waived too. This might be the prelude to a deal of some sort in a similar arrangement.

2. If that's not the case, because everyone knows of his ability, I suspect it would have to be because Showalter gave up on him.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » March 31st, 2012, 12:32 am

But we're holding on the Brian Roberts...

And why would you not put Simon on the DL given his groin problems?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Ampontan » March 31st, 2012, 4:23 am

Roberts is a unique situation, isn't it? They'd probably be accused of insensitivity by some in both the media in the fan base by cutting him loose before he's ready to hang it up, especially if he got angry about it. He has been a good soldier and does good works in the community. It's a delicate matter, and the org's solution seems to be to wait for him to make up his mind.

As for not putting Simon on the DL, isn't it the two possibilities I mentioned? They either have or think they can get a deal for him, or gave up on him.

Not sure, but another possibility is that these might be the waivers that can be withdrawn if someone makes a claim. They maybe see if that team wants to deal, and if not, revoke the waivers and cut someone else, like Jai Miller, who's going to be cut anyway.

It might be significant that DD isn't confirming it, saying that waivers are confidential. He didn't have that attitude with anyone else.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » March 31st, 2012, 5:13 am

Rising O's wrote:But we're holding on the Brian Roberts...

And why would you not put Simon on the DL given his groin problems?

I wonder if Roberts is next?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » March 31st, 2012, 5:15 am

Bit surprised by the Simon move but the arrival of Wada and the re-emergence of Tillman, who is younger and cheaper, probably clinched it 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by osforlife » March 31st, 2012, 7:37 am

Hate this. Hold on to Simon and quit this starter crap. Put him in the bullpen where he belongs. No, not long relief, pitch him one inning and watch him dominate. Again, I'am not really sure how this contract stuff works, but I'am pretty sure every other team has the chance to pick him up. If that is the case, we're giving away a potential stud reliever.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by Ampontan » March 31st, 2012, 10:59 am

osforlife wrote:If that is the case, we're giving away a potential stud reliever.

If he were five or six years younger, I might agree with you, but he's 30, has a career ML ERA over 5, and had problems lasting the whole year two years ago as a reliever.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by thezeroes » March 31st, 2012, 12:31 pm

Rising O's wrote:And why would you not put Simon on the DL given his groin problems?

Unless he is placed on the Sixty Day DL this move would not clear up a roster spot for Paulino (Backup Catcher) or Nick Johnson (IF,DH)to be put on the Forty Man Roster.

All moves that are being made until the start of the Regular Season is to establish a workable 40/25 Roster.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #10 by ofahn » March 31st, 2012, 12:55 pm

thezeroes wrote:Unless he is placed on the Sixty Day DL this move would not clear up a roster spot for Paulino (Backup Catcher) or Nick Johnson (IF,DH)to be put on the Forty Man Roster.

I was thinking the same thing until I remembered that Jai Miller is on the 40 and they will DFA him. After that, it seems clear to me that they should DFA Josh Bell off the 40. At this point Wheeler (just picked off waivers from Milwaukee) is a better prospect than Bell and his best position is 3B. There's your two spots.

There has to be something else here besides just opening a roster space.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #11 by osforlife » March 31st, 2012, 9:26 pm

Ampontan wrote:
osforlife wrote:If that is the case, we're giving away a potential stud reliever.

If he were five or six years younger, I might agree with you, but he's 30, has a career ML ERA over 5, and had problems lasting the whole year two years ago as a reliever.

That was also his first year off of Tommy John. Which he came back from very early and was rushed into the closer's role.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #12 by Rising O's » April 1st, 2012, 11:36 am

Its tough to lose a power arm coming out of the pen since we are short of those. I guess personality dispute is what I'll go with then but still not being able to complete a trade is puzzling.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by A_K » April 1st, 2012, 3:48 pm

For whatever reason my personal impression of Simon has always been a bit more favorable than his numbers suggest is warranted, so I would have liked to see him given a role in the bullpen. Like others have said though, there isn't much sense getting worked up about losing control of a 30-year-old reliever with a career ERA over 5. But based on my own subjective impression over the years, I wouldn't be surprised to see him become an effective pitcher for someone else.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #14 by Ampontan » April 1st, 2012, 10:18 pm

I wouldn't be surprised either, and I wanted him to succeed in an O's uniform, but there we are. Wonder what it is that prevents him from being consistent?
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Tucker Blair » April 2nd, 2012, 12:13 pm

Ampontan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised either, and I wanted him to succeed in an O's uniform, but there we are. Wonder what it is that prevents him from being consistent?

I personally think all the shuffling is the main reason. He still has a few flaws in his mechanics, but it's hard to truly settle down and master them when you are closing one week, starting the next week, and then throwing middle relief the week after.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles