Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Prospect Brian Ward Facing 50 Game Suspension

Orioles Prospect Brian Ward Facing 50 Game Suspension

PostPost #1 by ofahn » March 31st, 2012, 8:15 pm

According to industry sources, Single-A Frederick catcher Brian Ward is facing a 50-game suspension for violating baseball's drug policy.

Ward, who was invited to spring training before being reassigned to minor league camp on March 11, batted .254/.339/.382 with 22 doubles, seven homers and 32 RBIs in 104 games at Frederick.

Ward threw out 52.6 percent of runners attempting to steal last season and is widely regarded as the organization's top defensive catcher.

Orioles officials declined comment on the suspension.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... nsion.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Prospect Brian Ward Facing 50 Game Suspension

PostPost #2 by ofahn » March 31st, 2012, 8:29 pm

If this is true it's a real shame. The team thought enough of him to send him to the AFL last fall ahead of Caleb Joseph.

Because of his age and the fact that he hasn't played above A ball, this suspension could be an unrecoverable blow to his career.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » April 1st, 2012, 5:48 pm

ofahn wrote:If this is true it's a real shame. The team thought enough of him to send him to the AFL last fall ahead of Caleb Joseph.

Because of his age and the fact that he hasn't played above A ball, this suspension could be an unrecoverable blow to his career.

I doubt that. His defensive prowess is enough to keep him above others. This would be the same as an injury or the 60 day DL to start the season.
I need to hear full details on this situation before I make any judgment, but I know that Brian is a great guy and I think we are all fairly shocked that this happened.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by osforlife » April 2nd, 2012, 8:23 am

I'am guessing this gives Caleb Joseph another shot to prove himself. Or at least be Bowie's starting catcher.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Return to Minor Leagues