Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Machado, Schoop Assigned To Double-A Bowie

Machado, Schoop Assigned To Double-A Bowie

PostPost #1 by ofahn » March 31st, 2012, 8:13 pm

SARASOTA, Fla. - The Orioles are in the process of setting their minor league rosters. More tweaking is likely as players in major league camp are reassigned and others in the system are released.

At this moment, the Orioles have assigned top position prospects Manny Machado and Jonathan Schoop to Double-A Bowie, and No. 1 overall prospect Dylan Bundy to low Single-A Delmarva.

Bundy's current assignment isn't a surprise. It's been speculated for months that he'd debut with the Shorebirds. However, there's been debate within the organization whether Machado and Schoop should be separated and both allowed to play shortstop.

In that scenario, Schoop probably would have remained at Single-A Frederick. However, he's currently set up to play second base with the Baysox, taking the place of Greg Miclat, the PTBNL in the Taylor Teagarden trade with the Texas Rangers.

Also, outfielder Xavier Avery is presently assigned to Triple-A Norfolk. Outfielder LJ Hoes is assigned to Bowie.

Bundy's brother, Bobby, is assigned to Bowie. So is Tim Bascom, the organization's minor league Pitcher of the Year in 2011.

Norfolk's current pitching staff includes Brad Bergesen, Jason Berken, Willie Eyre, Armando Galarraga, Chris George, Steve Johnson, Jon Link, Miguel Socolovich, Chris Tillman, Oscar Villarreal and Dontrelle Willis.

Bowie's pitching staff includes Bascom, Bundy, Zach Clark, Pat Egan, Eddie Gamboa, Sean Gleason, Cole McCurry, Jacob Pettit, Pedro Viola and Ross Wolf.

Oliver Drake (Navy) has a tender arm and will remain at extended spring training until he's ready.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... bowie.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Machado, Schoop Assigned To Double-A Bowie

PostPost #2 by ofahn » March 31st, 2012, 8:33 pm

I'm very glad the team made this decision. I kept reading suggestions and opinions that Schoop should stay at Frederick as a SS. Why? He an Machado make an excellent DP combo and should matriculate through the minors that way. They could arrive in the majors around the same time as the best middle infield combo since Whitaker and Trammell.

It's a high bar to set but these guys might be that good.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by osforlife » March 31st, 2012, 9:24 pm

IMO, Machado should have never left Delmarva. Now he's leaving Frederick? What did he hit, .245? I know it's early, but does anybody else think we are rushing this kid? Could he be the next future regret?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by ofahn » March 31st, 2012, 9:48 pm

osforlife wrote:IMO, Machado should have never left Delmarva. Now he's leaving Frederick? What did he hit, .245? I know it's early, but does anybody else think we are rushing this kid? Could he be the next future regret?

Based on his numbers ONLY you make a good point. But he was dominant at Delmarva and struggled when he first got to Frederick. He started to make adjustments and was dominant again during the playoffs against the best teams in that league. He has held his own against ML talent this spring.

IMO he's ready for AA. We'll see shortly whether I'm right or just optimistic.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » April 1st, 2012, 11:50 am

Interesting, in that Schoop will stay at 2nd and not move to 3rd. O's thinking will not grow enough forcing a move, or will just cross that bridge when they come to it.

Anyone hear where Delmonico and Esposito are starting at?
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by ofahn » April 1st, 2012, 12:30 pm

Rising O's wrote:Anyone hear where Delmonico and Esposito are starting at?

Considering how well they did against ML and AAA talent during the spring I wouldn't be surprised if Delmonico starts at Delmarva and Esposito at Frederick.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Don » April 1st, 2012, 2:37 pm

Both Jason and Nicky are starting in low A Sally league.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by A_K » April 1st, 2012, 3:25 pm

Will Delmonico and Esposito share 3B/DH/1B duties in Salisbury?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #9 by Rising O's » April 1st, 2012, 6:44 pm

Both? Wow, I was hopeful Esposito might just start at Frederick.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #10 by Shorebirdfan » April 1st, 2012, 7:21 pm

I think keeping Machado and Schoop together does in fact make sense. Let them continue to grow as a team for the future. That said, I'm not sure Bowie is the right place to start them. I would have preferred to see them start at Frederick for a short time.

Also agree that Delmonico and Esposito to Delmarva is the right place to begin.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #11 by osforlife » April 2nd, 2012, 8:21 am

ofahn wrote:
osforlife wrote:IMO, Machado should have never left Delmarva. Now he's leaving Frederick? What did he hit, .245? I know it's early, but does anybody else think we are rushing this kid? Could he be the next future regret?

Based on his numbers ONLY you make a good point. But he was dominant at Delmarva and struggled when he first got to Frederick. He started to make adjustments and was dominant again during the playoffs against the best teams in that league. He has held his own against ML talent this spring.

IMO he's ready for AA. We'll see shortly whether I'm right or just optimistic.

I agree. We'll see.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » April 2nd, 2012, 2:38 pm

He deserved promotion to Frederick last year. The jump now up to AA seems a tad rushed though. If he has a mediocre year it will be a huge disappointment as you said he hardly dominated.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » April 5th, 2012, 11:49 am

Bowie is well managed. They are going to be a very exciting team to watch this year with this one-two punch 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #14 by chirping birds » April 6th, 2012, 10:23 am

although i feel like having two solid SS prospects is better than 1 SS and 1 2nd baseman, the orioles need to start building a core that is young and comfortable together. Although the numbers for machado arent the best right now, if you can solidy the middle of the field and get a consistent output offensively with slow growth overtime, then it would be easier to get some pieces to fill in the holes without completely depleting the bank IMO
chirping birds
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Minor Leagues