Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles option Berken, Bergesen, Antonelli to AAA

Orioles option Berken, Bergesen, Antonelli to AAA

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » March 26th, 2012, 5:48 pm

Antonelli, Berken, Begesen optioned

Willis, Beerer, Tolleson, Hester, Galarraga reassigned

Britton, Roberts DL
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Orioles option Berken, Bergesen, Antonelli to AAA

PostPost #2 by osforlife » March 27th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Contracts have to be my worst subject regarding baseball. Why were Antonelli, Berken, and Bergy optioned, but the others were reasssigned?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by ofahn » March 27th, 2012, 4:06 pm

osforlife wrote:Contracts have to be my worst subject regarding baseball. Why were Antonelli, Berken, and Bergy optioned, but the others were reasssigned?

Players are optioned when they're on the 40 Man Roster and assigned when they're not.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by thezeroes » March 27th, 2012, 9:26 pm

osforlife wrote:Contracts have to be my worst subject regarding baseball. Why were Antonelli, Berken, and Bergy optioned, but the others were reasssigned?

These players are on the 40 Man Roster and have been tendered contracts or signed to a contract. Options mean that they can be sent to the Minors without having to clear waivers. Most players have three options (Years) Some players because of injuries get an added year to their options and have four options.
Zach Britton
Matt Wieters
Jake Arrieta
Wi-Yen Chen
Tsuyoshi Wada
Matt Lindstrom
Luis Ayala
Dylan Bundy
Ryan Adams
Josh Bell
Joe Mahoney
Oliver Drake
Jason Berken
Brad Bergesen
Matt Antonelli
Chris Tillman
Brian Matusz
Zachary Phillips
Darren O`Day

These players are on the Forty Man Roster and have used up all their options. To get sent to the Minors they must clear waivers. If they clear waivers and have never been "Waived" previously they must accept the assignment with a few exceptions. If they have been waived previously then can either accept the assignment or become a Free Agent. If claimed off waivers the claiming team will pick up all of their existing contract and pay the waiving team $75 thousand "Waiver Claim Price".
Jai Miller
Taylor Teagarden
Ryan Flaherty
Tommy Hunter
Chris Davis
Troy Patton
Adam Jones
Pedro Strop
Robert Andino
Nick Markakis
Dane Eveland
Nolan Reimold
Mark Reynolds
Jim Johnson
Jason Hammel
J.J. Hardy
Wilson Betemit
Alfredo Simon
Kevin Gregg
Endy Chavez
Brian Roberts

There is a little more to this but this is the jist of it at this time of year. If I have errored I hope anybody will correct me.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #5 by Ampontan » March 28th, 2012, 4:50 am

DBundy got four options because he signed a major league contract right away. There's a rule that you get four if you sign a major league deal within a short time (I forget how long) after being drafted or signed. The first of those get used up this year, so the time when we're up against the option wall with him is 2016.

Same thing happened with Loewen.

Come to think of it, I think Matusz signed a major league deal too after being drafted, and if he did, he got four too.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » March 28th, 2012, 2:57 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Antonelli, Berken, Begesen optioned

Britton, Roberts DL

Britton and Roberts aside, I pray to God we never see ANY of them again 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by osforlife » March 28th, 2012, 3:33 pm

So players that are optioned either go back down to the minors or retire?
Players are reassigned if no team picked them up on the waiver wire?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » March 28th, 2012, 3:37 pm

osforlife wrote:So players that are optioned either go back down to the minors or retire?
Players are reassigned if no team picked them up on the waiver wire?

Can you rephrase that question? I'm not sure I understand.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by CSPitt17130 » March 28th, 2012, 4:28 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:

Britton, Roberts DL

I don't know why you'd have an issue with Bergesen, Berken, or Antonelli in the right role. Seeing any of the others (except for Willis if he manages to turn out to be a decent LOOGY) wouldn't be as disappointing as whatever situation caused those guys getting the call (injury, ineffectiveness, etc.).
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #10 by thezeroes » March 28th, 2012, 5:48 pm

I would not write off Beerer as of yet. He is a transformed pitcher who hurt his arm. Compare him to High A Ball player as far as experience with the bat.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by Matt P » March 28th, 2012, 8:52 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:

Britton, Roberts DL

So, you would be against it if any of them performed well enough at Norfolk to get promoted?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by osforlife » March 28th, 2012, 8:58 pm

One question at a time. Players that are optioned have two choices right? Either go to the minors or retire?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » March 28th, 2012, 9:45 pm

osforlife wrote:One question at a time. Players that are optioned have two choices right? Either go to the minors or retire?

Yes, BUT...most players with options are younger and wouldn't normally consider retirement.

Most veteran players try to sign a Major League contract because it puts them on the 40 man roster. Since they are often out of options if their new team wants to remove them from their roster they have to expose them to waivers which would give any other team the opportunity to acquire them by simply assuming that player's ML contract. If all of the teams pass on the player THEN the player normally has the choice between accepting an assignment to the minors or becoming a free agent again. If they were on an ML contract they get termination pay which anywhere from 1/6 of their contract to all of it.

I hope that helps.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by thezeroes » March 28th, 2012, 10:36 pm

osforlife wrote:One question at a time. Players that are optioned have two choices right? Either go to the minors or retire?

When a player is placed on the Forty Man Roster from the Minors for the first time they have what is called Three Option Years. When the player is sent to the minors from the Parent club it is called Option Assignment. After the third year of options a player is said to be "Out Of Options" which means he has been sent out the total of three different years to the minors. At that point he needs to stay on the Twenty-Five man roster or be placed on waivers. If placed on waivers and he clears waivers he can be re-assigned to a minor league affiliate. This can only be done once in the lifetime of the player. The second time he is placed on waivers and clears they can refuse the minor league assignment and become a free agent.

To further confuse the issue, for a player to be removed from the Forty Man Roster they are also placed on waivers and this has nothing to do with options and optional assignments.

When a player is waived by another club, the club that picks them up off waivers has to place them on their Forty Man Roster which usually entails them (the claiming team) placing a player on waivers to make room on their Forty.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by osforlife » March 29th, 2012, 8:04 pm

Thanks guys.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles