Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #16 by Matt P » March 25th, 2012, 1:19 am

Ampontan wrote:
Matt P wrote:Let's face it, this team isn't competing this season or next season. Neither of these guys are going to be on the next Orioles playoff team (if there ever is one) so there is no reason to hang onto them.


I've never understood this logic. At all. The constant roster churning resulting from an assumption you're not going to be in the playoffs is one sure way to consistent 90-game losing seasons and never getting in the playoffs. (The Marlins are a rare exception.)

The Orioles still have to play a 162-game season and sell tickets, food, and merchandise to entertain the fans, most of whom don't obsess over trades. They're supposed to put a good product on the field now. That doesn't necessarily mean playoffs. Climbing back to respectability --- and, more important, staying there --- requires one step at a time, which means .500 first. Having a player hit 35-40 home runs is a good way to get there.

As for getting to .500, they could most definitely be there this year, absent serious injuries (such as hobbled the team last year with Scott and Roberts). The continued development of Matusz and Arrieta, along with good results from Chen and Wada, could certainly make things interesting next year.

As for trading Reynolds or Gregg or both, I'm fine with that, depending on the return. All major league teams have players like that they want to unload, that might fit in better elsewhere.

This team isn't reaching .500 unless multiple young players all take HUGE steps forward this year. Even if they do, .500 is the best anyone can realistically hope for. They aren't going to win enough games to be in contention for a WC spot. Winning 81 games doesn't mean anything so I'm not sure why that would be a goal. The O's best bet at having a real future is to get rid of anyone on the current 25 man that will not be a part of the team in 2014 and beyond and stockpile the minor leagues with as much talent as they can get. It seems like Duquette knows what he's doing in terms of player development so get some talent and let it develop.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #17 by thezeroes » March 25th, 2012, 3:50 pm

12 more wins is not a "Huge" step.

3 more in Inter league Play
3 more against the West Division
2 each more against the AL East Foes
That would be 14 wins.

It actually is all in your perspective of how/when/where the wins are gotten.

If the team had a "Fire Sale" this past winter I do not believe that what would have remained and been brought in would have us compete in 2014. Mark Reynolds would/should be a sell high candidate in June if he exceeds what he did in the second half of 2011 in the first half of 2012. That is when you sell, not before. Gregg is/was a wasted signing and I feel helped expedite MacPhails departure. This is just my opinion.

By the same token 12 more loss his no big leap either.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 250
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 38

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #18 by Ampontan » March 25th, 2012, 11:06 pm

The steps don't have to be HUGE at all. Reimold just has to be his rookie self with slight improvement. That erases the hole last year in left field. Markakis goes back to being Markakis. Wieters builds on his second half with the bat. Andino plays with confidence and builds slightly on it. No hole at DH anymore. Hunter reverts to his first year as a starter, with slight improvement. Matusz and Arrieta revert to their development course pre their wasted 2011.

Some people may take the 100 or zero approach, but if this team wins 85 games --- which I don't think is a stretch --- all of Baltimore will be excited about baseball again (including the organization). Not bad for a year's work.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 180
Joined: February 2012
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #19 by Matt P » March 25th, 2012, 11:22 pm

So, Reimold needs to go back in time 2 years while also improving, Markakis needs to improve his OPS by .50+ points, and Wieters needs to do the exact same thing this year as everyone was hoping he would do last year and couldn't? Andino ... wow, improve slightly on a .670 OPS? So, if he is a .690 OPS player he is going to be an answer to winning 81+ games? How did they fill the DH hole? Hunter is another guy that needs to find himself and also improve. Matusz and Arrieta are the only on the list that seem like they will be accomplished without a doubt.

I'm not doubting some of that could happen. I certainly hope all of it happens. Matusz and Arrieta can't get much worse than last season and from what I've read they look good in Spring Training.

Once again, this team is not finishing above .500.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #20 by Ampontan » March 26th, 2012, 8:51 am

Matt P wrote:Reimold needs to go back in time 2 years while also improving, Markakis needs to improve his OPS by .50+ points


To do stuff they've already done, while they're still young enough to do it with little problem. Or are they suffering from a Permanent Baseball Disability?

Of course, if you think production out of left field will be the same as last year's with one-armed Luke, or at first with DLee in Twilight Time...

Matt P wrote:How did they fill the DH hole?


Do the name Wilson Betemit ring a bell? Look up his stats against right-handers and see how well they stack up against Vlady's numbers last year. Surely someone else will bat against lefties. Even Nick Johnson --- you've seen his name, right? --- a left-handed batter, hits lefties pretty well.

Showalter said he's going to go with several at DH this year.

Matt P wrote:Hunter is another guy that needs to find himself and also improve.


OK, if by "finding himself" you mean getting back in the groove after an injury at the beginning of last year, coming back to the bullpen instead of the rotation, and then getting tossed into the O's rotation after a trade. He doesn't have to improve that much, either. If he duplicates his 2010 season, he would have been the ace of the staff last year.

He's also younger than Arrieta, I think, or about the same age.

Oh yeah, we won't have to suffer through starts by Jo-Jo, Jaku, or Bergesen this year. Well, maybe Bergy, but only if he shows he's found either himself or his sinker at Norfolk. Same goes for Tillman.

Matt P wrote:Once again, this team is not finishing above .500.


Glad you settled that for us.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 180
Joined: February 2012
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #21 by ofahn » March 26th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Ampontan wrote:Glad you settled that for us.


Thank you. Just...thank you.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #22 by birdwatcher55 » March 26th, 2012, 2:22 pm

ofahn wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:My two cents: make him your full time DH and watch the fireworks.


Except that he has been VERY clear that he doesn't want to DH.

That's a shame but if I'm Buck, "you're DH my friend.. so get used to it." 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #23 by Matt P » March 26th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Ampontan wrote:
Matt P wrote:Reimold needs to go back in time 2 years while also improving, Markakis needs to improve his OPS by .50+ points


To do stuff they've already done, while they're still young enough to do it with little problem. Or are they suffering from a Permanent Baseball Disability?

Of course, if you think production out of left field will be the same as last year's with one-armed Luke, or at first with DLee in Twilight Time...

Matt P wrote:How did they fill the DH hole?


Do the name Wilson Betemit ring a bell? Look up his stats against right-handers and see how well they stack up against Vlady's numbers last year. Surely someone else will bat against lefties. Even Nick Johnson --- you've seen his name, right? --- a left-handed batter, hits lefties pretty well.

Showalter said he's going to go with several at DH this year.

Matt P wrote:Hunter is another guy that needs to find himself and also improve.


OK, if by "finding himself" you mean getting back in the groove after an injury at the beginning of last year, coming back to the bullpen instead of the rotation, and then getting tossed into the O's rotation after a trade. He doesn't have to improve that much, either. If he duplicates his 2010 season, he would have been the ace of the staff last year.

He's also younger than Arrieta, I think, or about the same age.

Oh yeah, we won't have to suffer through starts by Jo-Jo, Jaku, or Bergesen this year. Well, maybe Bergy, but only if he shows he's found either himself or his sinker at Norfolk. Same goes for Tillman.

Matt P wrote:Once again, this team is not finishing above .500.


Glad you settled that for us.

Just because someone did something once does not mean that they can do it again. If you think Betemit is the answer at DH and Nick Johnson is going to stay healthy and be another one of your guys that goes back in time ... lol. Being the "ace" on what was the worst rotation in baseball last year is nothing to hang one's hat on.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #24 by birdwatcher55 » March 31st, 2012, 5:23 am

What's happened to Reynolds' power this spring??? The guy is still a horrendous fielder. Seems like he's either DH or gone from Baltimore 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #25 by DougDE » April 1st, 2012, 7:40 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:What's happened to Reynolds' power this spring??? The guy is still a horrendous fielder. Seems like he's either DH or gone from Baltimore 8-)

Really worried about a veterans spring power stats? And for what it's worth, Angel and Manfra (assumin it was Manfra, cant remember for sure), said Reynolds has looked like a new man at 3rd this spring.
DougDE
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 376
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #26 by Beaker » April 25th, 2012, 12:57 pm

I can see some team offering something for a power hitter like Reynolds, but Gregg would not get many offers at all with the way he is pitching.
User avatar
Beaker
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 73
Joined: April 2012
Location: Bel Air, MD
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #27 by birdwatcher55 » May 1st, 2012, 12:45 pm

I don't know about you, but I've had it with this strikeout machine. He's the closest thing to an automatic out that I've seen since Mendoza 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Orioles Shopping Kevin Gregg, Mark Reynolds

PostPost #28 by osforlife » May 1st, 2012, 5:55 pm

Reynolds will come around. We can live with him for another month. Wait till he heats up and then trade him.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1617
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59


Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron