Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Tillman

Re: Tillman

PostPost #46 by Rising O's » March 16th, 2012, 1:54 pm

As a fan I have no reason to give up on any player as long as they are part of the organization. Tillman has shown the ability to get through games and compete, it just has not been anywhere near consistent enough. So I wish him luck under the Orioles new management and philosophy.

Arrieta is a starter, he has shown me enough to believe he can be a TOR, #2 pitcher in the ALE. He was going out there early in 2011 and putting up quality starts almost every time out. If his arm is healthy he will have an excellent chance to prove it this year.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #47 by osforlife » March 23rd, 2012, 3:12 pm

Tillman through one inning yesterday and struck out the side; reported to be clocked at 96mph multiple times. I would like to see more reliever stints from him in ST.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #48 by CSPitt17130 » March 23rd, 2012, 3:33 pm

osforlife wrote:Tillman through one inning yesterday and struck out the side; reported to be clocked at 96mph multiple times. I would like to see more reliever stints from him in ST.

He's still figuring things out as a starter and should be starting whether that's in Baltimore or Norfolk. All reports say he looks much better overall this spring so let him try to put it all together as a starter before sending him to the bullpen because he looked good in one inning yesterday.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #49 by ofahn » March 23rd, 2012, 4:27 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:He's still figuring things out as a starter and should be starting whether that's in Baltimore or Norfolk. All reports say he looks much better overall this spring so let him try to put it all together as a starter before sending him to the bullpen because he looked good in one inning yesterday.

For at least a year I have felt Tillman is David Hernandez all over again. A pitcher that had a great fastball but was unable to get through an order more than twice. When the Orioles finally accepted that with Hernandez they converted him to a short reliever and his FB hit 96 or 97 for an inning or two. His control improved and he became dominant. Tillman is that guy waiting to happen.

Jim Johnson also fits that profile.

I'd give Tillman ten starts or so in AAA and if he's not averaging at least seven innings a start it will be time to make the change.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #50 by CSPitt17130 » March 23rd, 2012, 4:56 pm

But the things that will make Tillman successful, like consistency in his delivery, will make him successful in either role. If he figures everything out and gains that consistency, he'll be fine as a starter. If not, he won't even do well in the bullpen.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #51 by birdwatcher55 » March 23rd, 2012, 6:12 pm

I'm onboard with moving Tillman to closer. Toodles Gregg 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #52 by ofahn » March 23rd, 2012, 6:16 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:But the things that will make Tillman successful, like consistency in his delivery, will make him successful in either role. If he figures everything out and gains that consistency, he'll be fine as a starter. If not, he won't even do well in the bullpen.

For whatever reason he seems to become more hesitant each time he faces the same hitter in a game. The second and third time around the order he nibbles more and more. He should trust his stuff but he gets inside his own head and loses confidence. I think he could be lights out if he knew he would only be facing a batter once in a game and could smoke them with fastballs while mixing in the occasional curve.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #53 by osforlife » March 23rd, 2012, 10:06 pm

There are definitely multiple reasons why Tillman hasn't succeded in a starters role; whether it's straightness on his fastball, decreased velocity, pitching up in the zone too much, lost control of his secondary pitches, or no accuracy inside the strike zone. He obviously has many problems that I have my doubts that most, rather some, will get solved this season. I'am not saying transitioning to a reliever will solve all of his problems, but I definitly think he would be more successful in one inning stints. He should start the season as a starter and needs to prove he can go 7innings everytime out. Or else he becomes the next David hernandez like ofahn said.
Last edited by osforlife on March 24th, 2012, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #54 by CSPitt17130 » March 24th, 2012, 12:12 pm

osforlife wrote:There are definitely multiple reasons why Tillman hasn't succeded in a starters role; whether it's straightness on his fastball, decreased velocity, pitching up in the zone too much, lost control of his secondary pitches, or no accuracy inside the strike zone. He obviously has many problems that I seriously doubt will all get solved this season. I'am not saying transitioning to a reliever will solve all of his problems, but I definitly think he would be more successful in one inning stints. He should start the season as a starter and needs to prove he can go 7innings everytime out. Or else he becomes the next David hernandez like ofahn said.

But why does he need to figure all that out this season? He doesn't. He's going to be 24 all season. If he figures some of that this season and then most or the rest of it next season, he'll end up a very good starter which is much, much more valuable than if he just makes the transition to the bullpen now. Both of you are suggesting (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) that a transition to the bullpen will make him much more successful right away or very soon. If that's the case, let him take all the time he possibly has to try to make it as a starter before deciding that a move to the bullpen is necessary and then do that.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #55 by osforlife » March 24th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Transitioning to a reliever will solve some of his problems right away IMO. He won't have to be SO careful about placement when he's throwing 96mph rather than 89mph. Throwing one inning means he won't have to throw SO many of his below average(I think we can all face that fact) breaking ball pitches. Plus he won't have to come in with different techniques (which he doesn't have) after once through the order. He could then come right at three hitters with his best stuff.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #56 by OriolesRedskins28 » March 24th, 2012, 11:56 pm

osforlife wrote:Transitioning to a reliever will solve some of his problems right away IMO. He won't have to be SO careful about placement when he's throwing 96mph rather than 89mph. Throwing one inning means he won't have to throw SO many of his below average(I think we can all face that fact) breaking ball pitches. Plus he won't have to come in with different techniques (which he doesn't have) after once through the order. He could then come right at three hitters with his best stuff.

Reports are that he his velocity is up (91-94) as a starter this year. With increased velocity and more focus I think he deserves one more year to prove he can be a MLB starter. What good is it to put him in the bullpen this year anyway? It's not like the Orioles are one good reliever away from making the playoffs. He would be much more valuable in the long run as a starter. Start him at AAA and give him the chance to make some of the adjustments he needs to make to be successful. If it doesn't work out then shift him to the bullpen next year (or deal him).
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #57 by Matt P » March 25th, 2012, 1:26 am

osforlife wrote:Transitioning to a reliever will solve some of his problems right away IMO. He won't have to be SO careful about placement when he's throwing 96mph rather than 89mph. Throwing one inning means he won't have to throw SO many of his below average(I think we can all face that fact) breaking ball pitches. Plus he won't have to come in with different techniques (which he doesn't have) after once through the order. He could then come right at three hitters with his best stuff.

I don't think his curve ball is below average.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #58 by osforlife » March 25th, 2012, 10:25 am

Matt P wrote:

I don't think his curve ball is below average.

From what i've seen; it has 12-6 bite but can't throw it for a strike, when it is a strike it is up, and isn't a put-away pitch.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #59 by osforlife » March 25th, 2012, 10:27 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:

Reports are that he his velocity is up (91-94) as a starter this year. With increased velocity and more focus I think he deserves one more year to prove he can be a MLB starter. What good is it to put him in the bullpen this year anyway? It's not like the Orioles are one good reliever away from making the playoffs. He would be much more valuable in the long run as a starter. Start him at AAA and give him the chance to make some of the adjustments he needs to make to be successful. If it doesn't work out then shift him to the bullpen next year (or deal him).

If you read my earlier post, you'll read that i do think Tillman should start the year as a starter. But if he doensn't make any new adjustments, then it'll be time for the transisiton.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #60 by OriolesRedskins28 » March 25th, 2012, 10:36 pm

osforlife wrote:
OriolesRedskins28 wrote:

If you read my earlier post, you'll read that i do think Tillman should start the year as a starter. But if he doensn't make any new adjustments, then it'll be time for the transisiton.

OK so we're in agreement. I apologize for my laziness.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles