Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Potential 2011 coaching staff

Potential 2011 coaching staff

PostPost #1 by LukeScottsShotgun » October 5th, 2010, 1:17 pm

I think it goes without saying that next year's coaching staff could be completely different from this year's. Then again, it could be virtually the same. The only person who is definitely on his way out is Kranitz. Yes, Kranitz has done a good job under Buck, but Mark Connor is Buck's pitching coach in the same way that Duncan is Tony LaRussa's pitching coach. Everywhere Buck goes, Connor is there. Even in the two years in Texas when Connor wasn't the pitching coach for Buck, he was still the bullpen coach. My money is on Connor being the next pitching coach. It will be a welcome change, although Connor has NEVER worked with a pitching staff this young.
I think that Datz has done a respectable job in his first year as bench coach. With that said, Buck tends to go with more experienced guys, so I think this means that Datz is on his way out. With that said, if you look at Buck's history, he has kept bench coaches in the past, so Datz's departure is not a guarantee. A few guys who could replace him:
1. Jerry Manuel- He does have some very admirable qualities, and he is a very wise and experienced man. The thing with him is that if Randolph gets the manager job in Milwaukee, Manuel will almost indefinitely follow him and become his bench coach. But on the off chance that Randolph isn't hired, I would LOVE to have Manuel as our bench coach.
2. Don Wakamatsu- Was the Mariners' manager until he was fired this year. Buck and Don have history together, as Wakamatsu served as Buck's bench coach in Texas.
3. Gary Varsho- Formerly the Pirates bench coach. Buck and Varsho do not have a history together, but Varsho is very well-respected around the league. He'd be a good guy for Buck.

Buck doesn't have a set hitting coach, but it goes without saying that Crowley is probably on his way out. I personally would like to see a change here. Here are some guys I'd like to see as our hitting coach:
1. BJ Surhoff- BJ's a very smart man who was always a good hitter. He was a positive influence on the team and he is one of the most popular Orioles players of all time. I'd love to see him in this role.
2. Eddie Murray- If Buck wants to hire somebody to show the young players "the Oriole way", who better than the second most beloved Oriole of the past 30 years? Eddie's a great guy, and would be a great influence on our young players. Problem is, it's a known fact that Angelos and Murray are not friends.
3. Rick Down- Buck has a history with him, and he's well-respected around the league.
Keep in mind Buck has COUNTLESS options here. These are just three candidates.

It goes without saying that Brian Butterfield will be one of the base coaches for the Orioles in 2011 because of all the rumors and Buck's history with Butterfield. Best place to put him would be at third base. I don't really have any problems with T-Bone Shelby staying, the players seem to respect him a lot.

Thoughts on all of this?
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Potential 2011 coaching staff

PostPost #2 by DougDE » October 5th, 2010, 1:32 pm

I dont have strong opinions on the coaching staff other then I want Buck to have complete say over it, and I think he does. I do think it's probably time for a change and hitting coach and I like the Surhoff suggestion
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by LukeScottsShotgun » October 5th, 2010, 1:52 pm

DougDE wrote:I dont have strong opinions on the coaching staff other then I want Buck to have complete say over it, and I think he does. I do think it's probably time for a change and hitting coach and I like the Surhoff suggestion

It goes without saying that Buck will probably get whatever he wants as far as his coaching staff. We might as well just start fitting Mark Connor for an Orioles jersey soon. And Buck BETTER not fire Ronnie Deck. The man's a hero.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Don » October 5th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Pitching Coaches:

I would like to see Kranitz return becuase I think the limitations were the result of playing the matchup game with the manager and not the development of the young pitchers. He grabs their ears and they listen and work with him. What can truly be gained from one instructor to another. In reality and trust me, there is little differences between guys other than in between start regimens. But I will play along....

1. Chuck Hernandez - He has worked with youth in the past and seen good results with many teams. He is in the Phillies organization this season, but it would not surprise me one bit if he already landed another job. He is that good.

2. Dave Schmitt - A current roving instructor has worked with almost the entire staff for season and has a good knowledge base for the game. Former Oriole would work well for the crowd.

Bench Coach:

Datz is a solid guy, but as your bench coach he has to be the extension of the manager. They usually want someone rather close to them. I would not be surprised to see Wakamatsu because of the history. Wakamatsu may or may not be burned out be his stint with the Mariners and may take time from the game.

1. Dwanye Murphy - Good baseball mind that has solid experience as hitting coach, base coach, and years of roving instructor. He, along with Butterfield, were the first two coaches to join Buck. At the very least, he could be a guy for first base next season.

2. Butterfield - Again, history with Buck takes him to the top of the list.

What is nice is that bothguys come from winning staffs that know what it taeks for teams to reach the next level.

Hitting Coach:

Well I am a Crowley supporter, but I will play along.

1. Jaramillo - He is one of the better ones in the game and may not stick around with Cubs after this season.

2. Rick Dowd - Favorite of Buck and a former Orioles hitting coach when Davey was manager.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by 2131andBeyond » October 5th, 2010, 3:19 pm

My thought is to get rid of Kranny, Dats, and Crow. They may be respected, but Buck has connections for the best available.

Keep Alan Dunn and Ronnie Deck. If either leave, I will throw a fit.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by LukeScottsShotgun » October 6th, 2010, 8:30 am

Don wrote:Pitching Coaches:

I would like to see Kranitz return becuase I think the limitations were the result of playing the matchup game with the manager and not the development of the young pitchers. He grabs their ears and they listen and work with him. What can truly be gained from one instructor to another. In reality and trust me, there is little differences between guys other than in between start regimens. But I will play along....

1. Chuck Hernandez - He has worked with youth in the past and seen good results with many teams. He is in the Phillies organization this season, but it would not surprise me one bit if he already landed another job. He is that good.

2. Dave Schmitt - A current roving instructor has worked with almost the entire staff for season and has a good knowledge base for the game. Former Oriole would work well for the crowd.

Bench Coach:

Datz is a solid guy, but as your bench coach he has to be the extension of the manager. They usually want someone rather close to them. I would not be surprised to see Wakamatsu because of the history. Wakamatsu may or may not be burned out be his stint with the Mariners and may take time from the game.

1. Dwanye Murphy - Good baseball mind that has solid experience as hitting coach, base coach, and years of roving instructor. He, along with Butterfield, were the first two coaches to join Buck. At the very least, he could be a guy for first base next season.

2. Butterfield - Again, history with Buck takes him to the top of the list.

What is nice is that bothguys come from winning staffs that know what it taeks for teams to reach the next level.

Hitting Coach:

Well I am a Crowley supporter, but I will play along.

1. Jaramillo - He is one of the better ones in the game and may not stick around with Cubs after this season.

2. Rick Dowd - Favorite of Buck and a former Orioles hitting coach when Davey was manager.

On the off chance that Mark Connor isn't our new pitching coach, I would love to have Dave Schmitt. Heck, we might as well look at Mike Flannagan, I did like what he did as the pitching coach. Plus then we'd never have to hear his annoying voice in the broadcast booth. We might as well start fitting Connor for his Orioles jersey because I guarantee that he'll be involved in some way, even if it's not as the pitching coach. Connor is Buck's Dave Duncan (not as good mind you, but you catch my drift).

Bench coach, I think Buck would lean towards Wakamatsu simply because he was his bench coach with the Rangers and he and Buck are good friends. Butterfield would be my next bet. The ideal one for me would be Jerry Manuel, but since Randolph is probably getting the Brewers job, Manuel will follow Randolph and be his bench coach. A dark horse candidate: Gary Allenson. Very smart baseball man, and he's been around. He might be a mediocre third base coach, but I could definitely see him as a bench coach.

Hitting coach, again I'd LOVE to see a former Oriole here. Surhoff or Hoiles would make the most sense, I've always thought that both of them would make good coaches. Funny thing, Jaramillo was Buck's hitting coach in Texas so they do have a history.

Dunn's job is in question. If Connor isn't the new pitching coach, there's a very good chance that he'll simply be the new bullpen coach. I'd also like to see a former Oriole here.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles