Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #40: Mychal Givens

ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #40: Mychal Givens

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » March 20th, 2012, 12:41 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/03/20/to ... al-givens/
Mychal Givens was drafted by the Orioles in the 2nd round of the 2009 draft out of Plant HS (Tampa, FL). As both a pitching and infield prospect, the Orioles had the decision of choosing between one of the positions. They chose to make Givens an infielder; mainly a shortstop.

Full Top 50 List
40. Mychal Givens
41. Matt Hobgood
42. Matt Taylor
43. Michael Ohlman
44. Brian Ward
45. Aaron Baker
46. Jesse Beal
47. Cole McCurry
48. Mark Blackmar
49. Wynn Pelzer
50. Sean Gleason
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #40: Mychal Givens

PostPost #2 by ofahn » March 20th, 2012, 12:51 pm

IMO it would be in the best interests of this player and the organization if he was converted into a pitcher ASAP. Give Rick Peterson a chance to work with him and you could see Givens in Baltimore as early as late 2014.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » March 20th, 2012, 1:03 pm

ofahn wrote:IMO it would be in the best interests of this player and the organization if he was converted into a pitcher ASAP. Give Rick Peterson a chance to work with him and you could see Givens in Baltimore as early as late 2014.

I think they should let him stick at SS or 2B this season and see if he can figure out his bat. If he simply shows no improvement or even regresses, then you consider it. Like Don said, he would only be a Draft eligible Junior at age 21.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by ofahn » March 20th, 2012, 1:30 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I think they should let him stick at SS or 2B this season and see if he can figure out his bat. If he simply shows no improvement or even regresses, then you consider it. Like Don said, he would only be a Draft eligible Junior at age 21.

Yes, but his pro record would not have him in even the first ten rounds if he was a Junior. IMO, we have at best the choice of developing him into a ML utility infielder or a late inning reliever. I don't think another season in the minors will change that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » March 20th, 2012, 7:47 pm

ofahn wrote:IMO it would be in the best interests of this player and the organization if he was converted into a pitcher ASAP. Give Rick Peterson a chance to work with him and you could see Givens in Baltimore as early as late 2014.

Couldn't agree more. Had the chance to see him here on the shore quite a bit. Don't like the way he sits the bat on his shoulder. Seems to slow down his ability to begin his swing and has him late on just about everything. Didn't feel D was a strong suit either.

Like to see him spend some time on the mound.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by Ampontan » March 21st, 2012, 10:09 am

ofahn wrote:Yes, but his pro record would not have him in even the first ten rounds if he was a Junior. IMO, we have at best the choice of developing him into a ML utility infielder or a late inning reliever. I don't think another season in the minors will change that.

I wonder...he wasn't a reach in the second round, and he thought he was first round material. He hit OK the year before last in Aberdeen, but he seems to have trouble keeping his good habits. Is it that the Orioles need better development personnel, or is he just one of the many not capable of making the adjustments?

They got the new hitting instructor this year, so I'd give him another year at short to see what happens.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by ofahn » March 21st, 2012, 10:15 am

Ampontan wrote:Is it that the Orioles need better development personnel, or is he just one of the many not capable of making the adjustments?

They got the new hitting instructor this year, so I'd give him another year at short to see what happens.

I'd say a bit of both.

I agree with Shorebirdfan. This guy will never hit enough to be a ML regular, and he has a cannon for an arm. His real upside is on the mound. The faster we get him there the better it will be for him and the club.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » March 22nd, 2012, 5:13 am

It's disappointing to say the least. My understanding of it was that he was a huge projection at SS when drafted and that remains what he is. A gamble that hasn't paid off. I don't blame Matt Hobgood on Joe Jordan. I do wonder more about this selection though.

To my thinking when you select a player, particularly early in the draft the position he plays should not even be a question! :evil:

As good as the right up on Givens was, the truth is we still don't know what the team has in him.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #9 by ofahn » March 22nd, 2012, 6:50 am

Old Sneakers wrote:It's disappointing to say the least. My understanding of it was that he was a huge projection at SS when drafted and that remains what he is. A gamble that hasn't paid off. I don't blame Matt Hobgood on Joe Jordan. I do wonder more about this selection though.

To my thinking when you select a player, particularly early in the draft the position he plays should not even be a question! :evil:

As good as the right up on Givens was, the truth is we still don't know what the team has in him.

Keep in mind that the scouting director's (Jordan) job is to get the best talent. Then the "development department" takes over and is responsible for turning that player into a major leaguer. Perhaps Jordan drafted him with the intention of having him pitch, and the disaster we used to call the "development department" decided he was a SS.

Regardless, we now know his bat is not capable of ML play and we still have time to develop him as a pitcher. I'd like to see that happen RIGHT NOW.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues