Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Scott Beerer anyone?

Scott Beerer anyone?

PostPost #1 by docjj » March 16th, 2012, 3:17 pm

I've always been intrigued by players who switch from position player to pitcher and vice versa. Beerer was a 2nd round draft pick in 2003 as a pitcher. He retired from the game for 2 seasons, then decided to try to comeback as a position player. He really was starting to come on last year. He's 29, so he can't be considered a young prospect.

I noticed he has another hit today in the Spring Training game. He's an intriguing one to follow. I don't think he stands a chance to make the team, because the O's seem enamoured with strikeout machine Miller and weak hitting Endy Chavez.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Scott Beerer anyone?

PostPost #2 by osforlife » March 16th, 2012, 8:04 pm

He definitly is intriguing. Cool story too. I say he will be assigned to Norfolk and eventually get some at-bats with the O's. He put some good numbers in the minors last year. Provides good Depth.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Ampontan » March 17th, 2012, 6:51 am

docjj wrote:I don't think he stands a chance to make the team, because the O's seem enamoured with strikeout machine Miller and weak hitting Endy Chavez.

I'd like to see him succeed with us too, but to be fair Chavez is there because he can play all outfield positions and is dependable for the bench. Miller also has some ML experience, and hits home runs. Beerer will get a chance to show what he can do at Norfolk.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by thezeroes » March 17th, 2012, 7:46 am

Ampontan wrote:
docjj wrote:I don't think he stands a chance to make the team, because the O's seem enamoured with strikeout machine Miller and weak hitting Endy Chavez.

I'd like to see him succeed with us too, but to be fair Chavez is there because he can play all outfield positions and is dependable for the bench. Miller also has some ML experience, and hits home runs. Beerer will get a chance to show what he can do at Norfolk.

Beerer is still a "Work in Progress" and needs to have the experience of AAA for at least 250 to 300 at bats to see the direction that he is headed. If he is knocking down the door at that point then cut somebody, demote somebody on the 25/40 to make room for him. He was signed as a "Project" with upside and is basically in his third year of development. He is also on a shorter curve because of age, this may very well be his shot.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » March 19th, 2012, 11:46 am

Pass. Not MLB material to put it flatly 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles