Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles' new pitching program

Orioles' new pitching program

PostPost #1 by Ampontan » March 14th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Get ready for it: The Orioles may be radically ahead of the curve with their new system-wide pitching program. Here's an article from Brittany Ghiroli
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120314&content_id=27280316&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

I've never been at a place that focuses that much on an actual throwing program and the mechanics of it," said Stu Pomeranz, a Minor League veteran who spent time in three other organizations as well as a stint in independent ball. "I think it's great. The things [Peterson] talked about will really help people that obviously need it [in their deliveries], and even guys that don't need it."

And an interview with Peterson in Biglead Sports
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/03/14/talking-the-business-of-baseball-with-rick-peterson/

With the support of Dan and Buck, we have brought in the American Sports Medicine Institute, spearheaded by Dr. James Andrews, to help us evaluate the mechanics of all our pitchers in the organization. By working with ASMI, we are creating a great footprint from which to build our programs from. It is the first time anyone is using this approach across the organization from such an early stage.

This could lead to a lot of fun for Orioles fans, perhaps even this year.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Orioles' new pitching program

PostPost #2 by TrapezoidConspiracy » March 14th, 2012, 11:40 pm

Peterson is an impressive fellow.

For a fascinating, albeit lengthy (1 hour), look at Peterson's approach, check out this presentation he gave last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M4Q6u7dujw8

It's unusually in-depth material. Viewer questions start around 30 minutes.

Last season, Buck made some decisions that led me to wonder if I, or other casual fans, could do his job better than him (e.g. often giving Nolan Reimold's playing time to Felix Pie). By contrast, Rick Peterson really knows his stuff. DD brought in a genuine expert.
TrapezoidConspiracy
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » March 15th, 2012, 11:14 am

Thanks for sharing that Trapezoid. I'll certainly give it a look when I get the time.

I am happy to see that they have SOME form of program established. I'll refrain from true judgment until I see some results, but it sounds like they are headed in the right direction.

By the way, Stu Pomeranz sounds like he could be a sleeper this season. He has talent (2nd rd pick), and his brother is pretty darn good himself
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by Ampontan » March 15th, 2012, 8:25 pm

DD's MO seems to be to bring in so many sleepers his nickname might be Pullman.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » March 15th, 2012, 11:49 pm

I LOVE this program. Peterson knows his stuff, his program is legit and I am very excited to see the results from the Orioles' major and minor league pitching staffs.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » March 16th, 2012, 10:14 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I LOVE this program. Peterson knows his stuff, his program is legit and I am very excited to see the results from the Orioles' major and minor league pitching staffs.

I am happy Peterson was brought in. For once they at least have SOMEONE down there whom they can lean on, pick their brain, etc.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » March 16th, 2012, 1:50 pm

This is great news. One of the great turnaround in sports has been the Texas Rangers who under Nolan Ryan has emphasized pitching and routines like the long toss. They went from an organization that was consistently at the bottom of the league to being one of the best the last two years. Its no coincidence they have been to the World Series two years in a row.

I'm unsure of Peterson though given his short stints in a lot of organizations. It looks like DD has bought in so maybe we have found the guy to finally turn this thing around.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » March 19th, 2012, 11:48 am

When I first saw Peterson and the Orioles talking this offseason I thought it was one big pipe dream. Obviously he is a man with a plan. I could see him moving up to pitching coach by next season 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles