Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's questions from Baseball America top 100 prospects chat

O's questions from Baseball America top 100 prospects chat

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 22nd, 2012, 9:46 am

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 13016.html

Scott (Pittsburgh): I know your publication ranked Bundy as the top arm available in last years draft and looking at the rankings then and now you list he and Bauer ahead of Cole in the rankings. Did the Pirates in your mind make a mistake with Cole over those two? Also, are Cole and Taillon your top duo of arms in the minors? Thanks

Jim Callis: I wouldn't say a mistake—all three of those guys were close and Cole has the most electric arm of that trio. I would have taken them in this order—Bundy, Bauer, Cole—but you can defend any order. I'd take Cole/Taillon, but our Top 100 would slightly prefer Bauer/Skaggs.

Lloyd (Lakewood): Dylan Bundy with an ETA of 2013? Is he THAT good?

Jim Callis: He's that good. I bet he's up before the end of 2013.

Randy (KC): I notice Shelby Miller and Dylan Bundy both have 2013 ETAs Which is later/earlier respectively than I would have anticipated. I realize that's just an estimation and things can change quickly, but do you stand by that assessment?

John Manuel: Those ETAs would not be the same if they were in different organizations. The Cardinals have pretty good starting pitching depth and have handled Miller carefully to that point; that said, that was a conservative ETA. We hemmed and hawed on hit quite a bit, and if we're wrong and he establishes himself in 2012, I would not be shocked. Bundy ... he was the best pitcher in the 2011 draft, has uncommon polish for a prep product and is in a poor organization that likely will fast-track him. Hence they got the same ETAs, which I admit on the surface looks odd. If anything, I'd move Miller up to 2012, but it's likely he'll still be rookie-eligible for 2013 . . . in which case he should be in my previous answer about 2013 Top 100 guys who could rank No. 1.

Daniel (Montana): Thanks for the work guys. Regarding Bundy, does Baltimore's inability to develop pitchers through the Major Leagues worry you? Or is he just too good to be messed up?

J.J. Cooper: No one is too good to be messed up, and the Orioles' track record with pitching prospects is troubling. But Bundy's talent is immense, and not every O's pitching prospect flames out, so you have to like his chances.

Brian (NY): Who do you feel moves up this list significantly in 2013? For example, Skaggs was #82 in 2011, #13 this year; Profar was #74 in 2011, #7 this year.

John Manuel: We talked about this in today's podcast as well; two of my picks to click were 2011 draftees Daniel Norris and Taylor Guerrieri. JJ Cooper's included Cheslor Cuthbert and Jonathan Schoop. I'll let you listen to the podcast to hear Jim Callis'.

Jeff (Baltimore): Do you see Jon Schoop at 3B or 2B long term?

J.J. Cooper: I'd say 2B, but I've talked to scouts who disagree and think he should be an third baseman, where they see all-star potential.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: O's questions from Baseball America top 100 prospects chat

PostPost #2 by ofahn » February 22nd, 2012, 10:25 am

I feel better about our chances of developing these guys now that we're making a real investment in our minor league system.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » March 14th, 2012, 11:43 am

ofahn wrote:I feel better about our chances of developing these guys now that we're making a real investment in our minor league system.

Honest I don't think the issue was before was that they weren't making the investment. I think they completely cocked-up in 2009 by rushing Matusz to the majors. Also kept bringing Tillman back to the majors before he was truly ready. A few draft flops aside they've been making the proper investment the past few years. The 2009 Draft class hasn't been impressive but apart from that Joe Jordan was good. New draft rules now so the team will have to be really astute. Same as before though the team needs as many quality bodies as it can get.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #4 by ofahn » March 14th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Honest I don't think the issue was before was that they weren't making the investment. I think they completely cocked-up in 2009 by rushing Matusz to the majors. Also kept bringing Tillman back to the majors before he was truly ready. A few draft flops aside they've been making the proper investment the past few years. The 2009 Draft class hasn't been impressive but apart from that Joe Jordan was good. New draft rules now so the team will have to be really astute. Same as before though the team needs as many quality bodies as it can get.

The investment I was referring to was for instructors. They have almost doubled the roving instructors.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » March 15th, 2012, 7:52 pm

ofahn wrote:The investment I was referring to was for instructors. They have almost doubled the roving instructors.

OK. I can understand and agree with that.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Return to Minor Leagues