Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Giolito hurt, O's work out Buxton

Giolito hurt, O's work out Buxton

PostPost #1 by docjj » March 12th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Lucas Giolito the California RHP with the 100 MPH fastball and excellent secondary pitches strained his UCL and is reportedly out for the season.

I suspect this will hurt his draft stock. He was once a lock for the top 4, but now it's more up in the air. Would you gamble on him at 4?

The Orioles worked out Byron Buxton today at Sarasota, but I suspect he'll go to Seattle at #3.
Gausman has been outstanding so far, and I'd consider the LSU righty at #4.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Giolito hurt, O's work out Buxton

PostPost #2 by CSPitt17130 » March 12th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Who are you projecting to go #1 and #2 on March 12th?
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by docjj » March 13th, 2012, 8:36 pm

Obviously, it's quite early and things can change dramatically.

Appel
Giolito
Buxton
Gausman
Zunino

prior to season's start.

I think Zunino is one heck of a hitter. He'd be tempting, even with Wieters at Catcher.
But I've always been a fan of Gausman and I hope he's there when we pick.
docjj
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » March 14th, 2012, 11:56 am

As said above it's still way too early to project a top 5 or top 10.

But I keep thinking with questions as to whether or not Machado sticks at SS can the team pass on this years top SS? There is also conjecture with Schoop sticking at 2B. Depth and talent up the middle is a must. Does the team really feel strongly that these guys stay where they are now?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by CSPitt17130 » March 14th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:As said above it's still way too early to project a top 5 or top 10.

But I keep thinking with questions as to whether or not Machado sticks at SS can the team pass on this years top SS? There is also conjecture with Schoop sticking at 2B. Depth and talent up the middle is a must. Does the team really feel strongly that these guys stay where they are now?

You never draft for need. Best player available should be the only concern, especially at #4.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by docjj » March 14th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Agreed. The baseball draft is not at all like other sports' draft. You don't really factor in need. If you have your pick narrowed down to 2 equal choices and you have a glaring need at one of them, then maybe that can be used as tie-breaker.

Gausman has been absolutely terrific in the early going this year. Buxton is tempting based on his immense talent and athleticism and high ceiling. Appel will probably be gone at 1 or 2. Buxton may go to the Mariners. Those would be my top 3, now that Giolito is hurt. I'm not sure who I'd take if they were all off the board. I'd consider Giolito, and I'd be real tempted to take Zunino, even though we're solid at catcher.
docjj
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by CSPitt17130 » March 14th, 2012, 4:22 pm

I'm really hoping Giolito bounces back quickly after his rehab. He was definitely someone I was excited about the Orioles drafting (and I'd still want the Orioles to draft him now if he's available, regardless of the injury), or to at least add another player to the pool the O's would consider with their pick.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Don » March 14th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Leave the I pick this player over that player, etc... until May. I mean high school has not even gotten to full swing across the country. There are plenty of high school kids that could progress to the point.

I mean Walker Weickel hastaken huge steps. Kyle Zimmer shows better than any college pitcher sometimes. Matt Smoral could jump up into the discussion. Max Fried is higher than most on teams boards right now.

All I can say is that it is a long season, enjoy the ride....
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by Rising O's » March 16th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Giolito's injury can put him in the mix at #4, something that was unlikely at the start of the year. That's a good thing for us. With the slotting system in place the Orioles can afford to take the risk. Similar to last year's draft it should be a fun one.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » March 16th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Rising O's wrote:Giolito's injury can put him in the mix at #4, something that was unlikely at the start of the year. That's a good thing for us. With the slotting system in place the Orioles can afford to take the risk. Similar to last year's draft it should be a fun one.

What concerns me about ANY HS pick is that their agent might suggest they wait until they become eligible again in three years to see if MLB and the Players Association have decided to allow teams with chronically losing records (like us) to budget some extra money for the draft.

Right now, college players don't have the time or leverage to wait, but HS players may think they do. That's why, if you can't see daylight in talent between the two players we have an interest in, I would choose the college player over a HS one. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2012 draft doesn't have the largest number of unsigned HS players that we've seen in years.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #11 by Rising O's » March 18th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Baseball is slow to change and they may be waiting in vein for this Bud Selig creation to draw its last breath. It could make for an interesting 2nd round pick if some of these HSers price themselves out of some organization's budgets.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Rising O's » March 21st, 2012, 3:30 pm

Some early news on Giolito is promising.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » March 26th, 2012, 2:19 pm

docjj wrote:Giolito

Short of his arm falling off, if Giolito is there at #4, he's my pick. Whatever ails him, TJS can cure it. I would wait for him. He's that good
8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to MLB Draft