Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Tillman

Re: Tillman

PostPost #31 by birdwatcher55 » February 1st, 2012, 4:06 pm

Just my two cents: Arrieta might be better suited to close games 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #32 by birdwatcher55 » February 1st, 2012, 4:09 pm

ofahn wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:He's gone through two or three pitching coaches during that span. I wonder if someone tinkered with his delivery and in the process messed him up. What I did see last year briefly was improvement after Griffin worked with him in Norfolk. I'm not sure what his future is in Baltimore, if any, but he certainly has a lot to prove 8-)

I see Tillman's problem as a failure by our development staff to require him to become a legitimate starting pitcher. By that I mean that he was never required to learn how to get past the sixth inning, or even get that far when he didn't have his best stuff. He was also never required to get into the kind of shape that would allow him to have something left in the tank after 100 pitches.

Look at Tillman's stats when we got him and last year at AAA. He's still a 5 and 2/3 inning pitcher. That's a DEVELOPMENT Issue.

Not going to argue with you on this matter. Bottom line: he needs to throw strikes and trust his stuff. You think coming through the Seattle system he would have learned all of that before coming to Baltimore. I think somewhere after he arrived in Baltimore, he suffered a setback. Perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised this year. One can only hope 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #33 by ofahn » February 1st, 2012, 4:23 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Just my two cents: Arrieta might be better suited to close games 8-)

Why do you say that? When he has been around the plate he has at least shown an ability to get into the seventh or longer. To me, TILLMAN is a guy who has closer stuff. I'm not so sure about the head................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #34 by ofahn » February 1st, 2012, 4:25 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:You think coming through the Seattle system he would have learned all of that before coming to Baltimore.

I think Seattle had some doubts about his mental makeup and dedication to conditioning. That's why they were willing to let him go. Remember, they have a GOOD record of developing pitchers.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #35 by Tucker Blair » February 1st, 2012, 5:29 pm

I was thinking about Tillman, and honestly the best thing for him may be to spend an entire year or TWO down in AAA mastering his game.

Like mentioned above by ofahn, he needs to learn how to be a 7-8-9 inning pitcher, and not a 5 2/3 pitcher.
It's easier said than done, but the Orioles have the luxury of doing that this year after bringing in a gazillion starters
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #36 by Tucker Blair » March 12th, 2012, 11:30 pm

Bumping this thread.

Tillman looked really good in his last outing (aired on TV). I came away fairly impressed by his stuff. His fastball looked much more crisp, and he was hitting 95 occasionally. Perhaps more impressive were the amount of ground balls and lazy fly balls that he was getting. Of course it was only two innings, but any improvement should be noted.

I wonder what would happen if he pitched like this the entire spring. Does he still get sent to the minors?
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #37 by Matt P » March 13th, 2012, 12:57 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I wonder what would happen if he pitched like this the entire spring. Does he still get sent to the minors?

If he is one of the Orioles top 5 starters throughout ST he should be on the club.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #38 by ofahn » March 13th, 2012, 7:19 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Bumping this thread.

Tillman looked really good in his last outing (aired on TV). I came away fairly impressed by his stuff. His fastball looked much more crisp, and he was hitting 95 occasionally. Perhaps more impressive were the amount of ground balls and lazy fly balls that he was getting. Of course it was only two innings, but any improvement should be noted.

I wonder what would happen if he pitched like this the entire spring. Does he still get sent to the minors?

I still think that DD would prefer the veterans step up this spring which would allow the club to send the kids to AAA to start the year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #39 by Don » March 13th, 2012, 7:54 am

It is still rather flat without movement and you have to wonder if that second time around the order poses issues. He is still posing a collapsing delivery off to the glove side, which is a great timing mechanism that has to be perfect to maintain command and control of his pitches.

Fine that he is strong enough to reach those speeds, but without out constant movement and location it may not help in a starter role.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #40 by Tucker Blair » March 13th, 2012, 10:22 am

Don wrote:It is still rather flat without movement and you have to wonder if that second time around the order poses issues. He is still posing a collapsing delivery off to the glove side, which is a great timing mechanism that has to be perfect to maintain command and control of his pitches.

Fine that he is strong enough to reach those speeds, but without out constant movement and location it may not help in a starter role.

Palmer mentioned the exact same thing about collapsing delivery.
I also was wondering about the second time around the lineup. I think we will learn much more once we see him get that second an third time through a lineup, which is why I still think he should be headed to AAA.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #41 by Old Sneakers » March 14th, 2012, 11:51 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Just my two cents: Arrieta might be better suited to close games 8-)

Completely disagree here. Arrieta is likely the most talented of all the young guys including Matusz and Britton. When he's "On" he's everything you want in a starter. Only trick is when he has command issues.

ofahn wrote:

Why do you say that? When he has been around the plate he has at least shown an ability to get into the seventh or longer. To me, TILLMAN is a guy who has closer stuff. I'm not so sure about the head................

Honestly I think Tillman is a starter. He's just not ready yet.

With Tillman I agree with the others. Rely on the veterans early and give him time in AAA. It's not like he's 28 he's the youngest of all the young guys on the threshold. Give him some time to prove he's ready and not going to flop. The team is going to need guys to come up from AAA and I just hope that he Matusz and Britton are ready when that time comes. I know know I do not want to see these guys brought up again only to fail.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #42 by Don » March 14th, 2012, 7:11 pm

I would reserve any Jake to the closer role until he proves the bone spur and spur development since TCU is the blame for his command.

I think it was in poor taste for both local and national media to pigeon hole the kid into any role with an arsenal that could sit a top of many rotations. I would not sip their Kool-aid until every single option is exhausted.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #43 by Tucker Blair » March 15th, 2012, 11:12 am

Don wrote:I would reserve any Jake to the closer role until he proves the bone spur and spur development since TCU is the blame for his command.

I think it was in poor taste for both local and national media to pigeon hole the kid into any role with an arsenal that could sit a top of many rotations. I would not sip their Kool-aid until every single option is exhausted.

I agree. They need to give him every opportunity to be a starter in the future. If he then fails, you consider the move to the pen.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #44 by birdwatcher55 » March 15th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Don wrote:I would reserve any Jake to the closer role until he proves the bone spur and spur development since TCU is the blame for his command.

With all due respect, I'm not sure he is TOR material right now. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #45 by CSPitt17130 » March 15th, 2012, 2:28 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:With all due respect, I'm not sure he is TOR material right now. 8-)

Why do you think this?
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles