Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's/Duquette remain active in the international market

O's/Duquette remain active in the international market

PostPost #1 by docjj » March 6th, 2012, 1:14 pm

O's ink 19 yr old Taiwanese Lefty Yi-Hsiang Lin (no relation to Jeremy) to a $75,000 deal.

The following is a link to a video of him striking out the side in a Taiwanese game. Seems to have a nice sweeping breaking ball. He's 6'0 170 lbs. Tops out at 89 MPH.

http://taiwanbaseball.blogspot.com/2012 ... g-lin.html
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: O's/Duquette remain active in the international market

PostPost #2 by Ampontan » March 7th, 2012, 8:32 am

If that's the same video I saw somewhere else, he's got some interesting movement on the fastball too. Also likely to pick up some weight and a few MPH on the fastball as he gets older.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » March 7th, 2012, 2:08 pm

DD really seems to believe in international signings, that's for sure.

I have no problem with it (as long as it doesn't turn into the mess like Korea)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by ofahn » March 7th, 2012, 2:11 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:DD really seems to believe in international signings, that's for sure.

It's an additional way to add talent to the organization. We might as well get as many quality prospects into our almost barren system as possible before the rules change this summer.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » March 8th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Do these guys have any "game" or is this more or less a publicity stunt????? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by A_K » March 8th, 2012, 6:14 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Do these guys have any "game" or is this more or less a publicity stunt????? 8-)

None of the above. It's an inconsequential $75,000 signing.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by CSPitt17130 » March 8th, 2012, 7:47 pm

A_K wrote:None of the above. It's an inconsequential $75,000 signing.

You sure about this? Do you have a scouting report on this guy that no one else on the internet seems to have? Or are you just assuming based on signing bonus?
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by docjj » March 8th, 2012, 9:17 pm

I can only go by the video clip. He seems to have a nice sweeping curve. His fastball only goes 88 -89 MPH, but has some movement. I'm sure there are loads of guys like this around, but they're hoping he fills out a little and gains a few ticks on the radar gun.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #9 by ofahn » March 8th, 2012, 10:33 pm

docjj wrote:I can only go by the video clip. He seems to have a nice sweeping curve. His fastball only goes 88 -89 MPH, but has some movement. I'm sure there are loads of guys like this around, but they're hoping he fills out a little and gains a few ticks on the radar gun.

I'd be happy to sign a dozen guys like this every year and hope that even one of them pans out. In the long run it's a bargain.

Now, we just need another Rookie League team to house them.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by A_K » March 9th, 2012, 1:09 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:

You sure about this? Do you have a scouting report on this guy that no one else on the internet seems to have? Or are you just assuming based on signing bonus?

Based entirely on signing bonus.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #11 by CSPitt17130 » March 9th, 2012, 2:17 pm

A_K wrote:
CSPitt17130 wrote:

Based entirely on signing bonus.

Then you realize that making that assumption is stupid?
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » March 10th, 2012, 3:36 pm

If the kid was a hot commodity then we would all have heard so much hype that we would have demanded he be offered seven figures. I do not know that I would call it inconsequential though. The team has the task of signing talent it can develop into major league talent.

$75,000 may not be much in your household but it could be a huge opportunity for this kid and his family.

My guess is the team saw something worthwhile and thought it could better itself by signing him and got a deal done. Beyond that if he's still in the teams minor league system in two years and playing competitively then they got something at a bargain.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #13 by Ampontan » March 11th, 2012, 12:01 am

Inconsequential based on signing bonus? So, only Round 1 or 2 picks are consequential?

Putting overslot signings aside for this discussion, last year the Orioles signed their 9th round pick Devin Jones for $97,500. The 10th round pick was signed for $20,000, and the Royals, picking right after the Orioles, signed their 10th round pick for $75,000, the same as Lin got.

The Angels signed their 5th round pick for $80,000. Lin got more money than two sixth-round picks, and the Red Sox spent $85,000 for theirs.

Bonuses are all over the board due to drafting strategies and overslots, and people falling due to doubts about signability, but Lin's bonus is clearly Round 6-10 money.

That is not "inconsequential".
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by CSPitt17130 » March 11th, 2012, 1:33 am

I don't think you can use the signing bonus as an indication of the player's talent unless you know the situational details involved. Were we bidding against other teams? If not, was it because no one saw him or they just weren't interested? I'll wait for a scouting report before coming to any conclusions on how much of a prospect this kid is.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Ampontan » March 11th, 2012, 9:52 am

Regardless, that is how much the front office thought he was worth, and that is what that price buys in the amateur draft.

It is possible that no one else saw him, considering the recent Ferreira interview in the Sun in which he says scouts have to jump on guys they see in case someone else sees him. If no one else was interested, it might not have taken that much money.

Why spend that money on someone who is inconsequential when you can buy a 6-10 draft pick for the same amount?
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles