Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matusz

Matusz

PostPost #1 by Zach » March 10th, 2012, 4:13 pm

I saw that he pitched 4 scoreless innings, but was wondering if anyone had any idea what his velocity was like in the game?
Zach
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 227
Joined: June 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: Matusz

PostPost #2 by ofahn » March 10th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Zach wrote:I saw that he pitched 4 scoreless innings, but was wondering if anyone had any idea what his velocity was like in the game?


Many scouts had Brian Matusz's fastball in the 90-91 mph range today, but at least one scout clocked him at 93-94 mph. I guess it depends on the gun.

"I didn't know that," he said, his eyes widening and a smile creasing his face. "I felt like it was coming out pretty good. I wasn't sure exactly how hard it was, but it felt like it was coming out effortlessly. Nice explosion."

Matusz shut out the Phillies on three hits over four innings, with no walks and four strikeouts. He's the first Orioles pitcher to go four innings this spring.

"It felt good to be able to go out there and go four innings and keep the pitch count down, and being to get four ups. Just working quick and efficiently," Matusz said.

"It helped with all the nice plays by the outfielders and (Matt) Antonelli there at second, (Ryan) Flaherty at short. The defense made some really nice plays.

"That's a tough lineup, especially at home in Clearwater. It felt nice to be able to go out there against a top-notch lineup and be able to attack the zone like that."

It's apparent that Matusz is in better physical condition this spring.

"Absolutely," he said. "Getting stronger physically in the weight room as well with the long toss and refining the mechanics. I feel I was powerful out there today, powerful and explosive."

Catcher Matt Wieters sees big differences in Matusz from 2011 to this spring.

"He's throwing all his pitches for strikes, and two-strike put-aways," Wieters said. "He was able to have command in Monday's outing but he wasn't able to throw the two-strike pitches where he wanted to. He was able to throw both today, get ahead off-speed as well as put-away off-speed.

"It's a different guy from last year. I think he realizes that last year he had a tough year, but now he's back to being the Brian we know he is."


http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... eters.html
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Matusz

PostPost #3 by Zach » March 10th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Thanks!
Zach
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 227
Joined: June 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: Matusz

PostPost #4 by thezeroes » March 10th, 2012, 11:38 pm

Matusz had his first start and looked like he did in most of 2011. He now has his second start and looks like September 2010. His next start will tell us if he is progressing into the pitcher the Orioles need and expect.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 251
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 38

Re: Matusz

PostPost #5 by CSPitt17130 » March 11th, 2012, 1:29 am

thezeroes wrote:Matusz had his first start and looked like he did in most of 2011. He now has his second start and looks like September 2010. His next start will tell us if he is progressing into the pitcher the Orioles need and expect.


Maybe it's just me, but other than the box score and maybe an uptick in velocity in today's start, his two spring starts didn't look that different. He still didn't look to have the control that gave him the success in August and September in 2010. Did you see anything different, or are you just looking at the box score?
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 181
Joined: December 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Matusz

PostPost #6 by DougDE » March 11th, 2012, 6:14 am

I didnt see the game myself but read in Roch's blog that he thought Matusz made huge strides from his first start to second in terms of command
DougDE
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 376
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Matusz

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » March 11th, 2012, 7:16 am

If he ends up making the rotation out of the gate then I hope it's because he has all of his velocity, command and he's ready. I do not want hype or former status as a top prospect having anything to do with it. Frankly I'm terrified the big rush to get him to the ML has hurt the guy.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 778
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: Matusz

PostPost #8 by ofahn » March 11th, 2012, 9:13 am

CSPitt17130 wrote:
thezeroes wrote:Matusz had his first start and looked like he did in most of 2011. He now has his second start and looks like September 2010. His next start will tell us if he is progressing into the pitcher the Orioles need and expect.


Maybe it's just me, but other than the box score and maybe an uptick in velocity in today's start, his two spring starts didn't look that different. He still didn't look to have the control that gave him the success in August and September in 2010. Did you see anything different, or are you just looking at the box score?


I watched the game. What I found encouraging is that he had good enough control to put batters away when he got two strikes on them. That's been one of his biggest problems in the past.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Matusz

PostPost #9 by thezeroes » March 11th, 2012, 9:42 am

ofahn wrote:
CSPitt17130 wrote:
thezeroes wrote:Matusz had his first start and looked like he did in most of 2011. He now has his second start and looks like September 2010. His next start will tell us if he is progressing into the pitcher the Orioles need and expect.


Maybe it's just me, but other than the box score and maybe an uptick in velocity in today's start, his two spring starts didn't look that different. He still didn't look to have the control that gave him the success in August and September in 2010. Did you see anything different, or are you just looking at the box score?[/quot

I watched the game. What I found encouraging is that he had good enough control to put batters away when he got two strikes on them. That's been one of his biggest problems in the past.


This is it in a nutshell. In September of 2010 he was "Putting Away" 2 strike batters. Last year the two strike batters were "Putting Him Away". He controlled his pitch count enough to garner a fourth inning that equals control. Wieters stated that he could throw any of his pitches in any count for "Quality" strikes. Major improvement. I await the next start to see him maintain that level of improvement.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 251
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 38

Re: Matusz

PostPost #10 by osforlife » March 11th, 2012, 10:29 am

Old Sneakers wrote:If he ends up making the rotation out of the gate then I hope it's because he has all of his velocity, command and he's ready. I do not want hype or former status as a top prospect having anything to do with it. Frankly I'm terrified the big rush to get him to the ML has hurt the guy.

I seriously doubt Matusz makes the rotation right out of the gate.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Matusz

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » March 16th, 2012, 11:53 am

So Matusz was apparently even more impressive last night, pitching 4 innings of scoreless ball with 6 K's.
he allowed 2 hits, one which was a soft 2-out blooper to Delmon Young.

Is it possible that Matusz is truly back to his "old" form?

I am curious to see what happens in that 5th and 6th inning
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: Matusz

PostPost #12 by Rising O's » March 16th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Great news. We need him in the most desperate of terms.

Watching what the great genius Ireland did in trading Marshall the other day has left me even more discouraged about my favorite two teams.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Matusz

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » March 19th, 2012, 11:52 am

I believe I read somewhere that Matusz was hitting 93-95 on the gun. With Britton probably headed for the DL and maybe surgery, it would be a huge lift to see both Matusz and Arrieta find their potential 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Matusz

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » March 19th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Bah, what the hell happened to Britton? :oops:
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Matusz

PostPost #15 by ofahn » March 19th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Rising O's wrote:Bah, what the hell happened to Britton? :oops:


SARASOTA, Fla. - Orioles pitcher Zach Britton has been scratched from Monday afternoon's start at the minor league complex because of a sore left shoulder.

Britton was supposed to go three innings in a Single-A game at Twin Lakes Park, but he's bothered by inflammation in the shoulder. Team orthopedist Dr. John Wilckens examined him today.

The Orioles will know more about Britton's condition and future availability on Tuesday.

Britton threw two innings and 31 pitches Thursday in a game against the Boston Red Sox's Single-A team. He threw four more pitches in the bullpen and showed up the next day without any health issues. However, the shoulder began aching yesterday.

"He was a little sore today," manager Buck Showalter said. "We'll see where we are with him on Tuesday. He threw in the game, felt great, took his work day, felt good, but I think he called Richie (Bancells) last night. We were waiting to see what it was like today. It was a little sore and Dr. Wilckens looked at him. We may have to make some adjustments there.

"Dr. Wilckens doesn't think it's anything serious. Just something we've got to manage and try to get it quieted down. It could be Tuesday. I don't know. But I would have liked to see him recover from his outing a little better than that."

Britton still hasn't pitched in a Grapefruit League game, and it's become increasingly likely that he won't be ready when the Orioles break camp.

"Let's see where we are on Tuesday. I'm not going to jump the gun on it," Showalter said.


http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... start.html
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85


Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron