Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

That Awkward Moment When They Sign an Expensive RP

Re: That Awkward Moment When They Sign an Expensive RP

PostPost #16 by ofahn » March 3rd, 2012, 1:29 pm

Ampontan wrote:Yeah, I guess the people drafting really screwed up by drafting people like Stahl, Erbe, Hobgood, Townsend, Smith, and Loewen who got injured after they were drafted.

Maybe they should have hired Carnak the Magnificent instead of Rajsich.

I considered most of those players to be development failures. Injuries are often a result of poor conditioning programs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by Ampontan » March 4th, 2012, 6:22 am

Fair enough. We'll see if the new emphasis on conditioning and development benefits Hobgood and Townsend. Steve Melewski recently had a post on the recovery of injured minor league pitchers in the system but didn't mention Hobgood. That could either mean Hobgood is past his injury, or is never going to be. We'll see shortly.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #18 by thezeroes » March 4th, 2012, 5:51 pm

The following was an article that Steve Melewski had placed on his blog on January 06. I believe it to be a good read for what has happened to Hobgood. As the article states, he is only 21 years of age.
http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... ahead.html

This may be considered a follow up to Steve's original article done on January 09
http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... ation.html
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » March 4th, 2012, 6:09 pm

ofahn wrote:
Ampontan wrote:Yeah, I guess the people drafting really screwed up by drafting people like Stahl, Erbe, Hobgood, Townsend, Smith, and Loewen who got injured after they were drafted.

Maybe they should have hired Carnak the Magnificent instead of Rajsich.

I considered most of those players to be development failures. Injuries are often a result of poor conditioning programs.

Yeah sure .. it's never about talent evaluation. :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » March 4th, 2012, 6:12 pm

ofahn wrote:
Snyder .. Rowell ... Stahl ... Erbe ... Hobgood ... Townsend .. Smith ... Loewen .. On and on the list of premium round busts goes on.. Still got no problem with "draft selection"????

Demacio and Jordan

Perhaps you could do some research and re post this.

Perhaps you need to take off your rose tinted glasses and see things for what they are: the above players are products of a flawed talent evaluation system perpetuated for many years by the likes of Demacio and Jordan 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #21 by ofahn » March 4th, 2012, 7:22 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Perhaps you need to take off your rose tinted glasses and see things for what they are: the above players are products of a flawed talent evaluation system perpetuated for many years by the likes of Demacio and Jordan

In...your...opinion.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #22 by Don » March 4th, 2012, 8:58 pm

I feel like I say this every couple of months. A good draft is when you have one pick make more than a 3 seasons on a big league club. A great draft is when you have one pick make an impact over 10 seasons on a big league club. If you find two players that fit that mold of 10 year types, you hit a goldmine.

The problem is when you pick in that top ten, you hope to get impact out of that class. I will tell you that every single guy they pick from the last few seasons were highly regarded. They may not have been one of the best ten players, but were 1st or 1st comp graded players.

Now saying this....you do not know enough of the background in the warehouse to say who falls on the blade because of budget concerns, telling an SD to take a college kid, this, that and everything in between.

I have a great deal of respect for most of the guys who lead the departments. Jordan has a good eye. There are a handful of quality scouts in that organization that I would work with or for in the future. There are some I do not care for, but this is the same with all 30 teams.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #23 by Rising O's » March 6th, 2012, 1:10 pm

Hobgood has had a busy offseason. He went to Oklahoma for a couple of weeks in October to work out with Dylan and Bobby Bundy. He is currently taking part in workouts at Athletes Performance Institute in Carson, Calif., and he has also spent some time training with Brady Anderson.

The good: working out with the Bundy boys. Its what I was hoping to hear about when they drafted Dylan.
The bad: working out with API. After last year the Orioles should have banned players from going to that "training"facility.
The ugly: still to be determined. Some would say his results so far. I say unless he retires without ever playing in the MLs we won't get to see this. I still have hope he can one day make it, and working out with the Bundy's giving him direction, will help him get there. Color me orange.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles