Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Looks like #4

Re: Looks like #4

PostPost #16 by Matt P » January 7th, 2012, 3:57 pm

The farm system is lacking in talent. It doesn't matter what position players play it just matters we add the most talent we can when we make our pick.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by Tucker Blair » January 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Matt P wrote:The farm system is lacking in talent. It doesn't matter what position players play it just matters we add the most talent we can when we make our pick.
yup, draft best player available
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #18 by ofahn » January 7th, 2012, 4:19 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Matt P wrote:The farm system is lacking in talent. It doesn't matter what position players play it just matters we add the most talent we can when we make our pick.
yup, draft best player available

Maybe (I hope) with some good trades and better development this season our draft outlook will be different this season. Of course, you ALWAYS want premium pitching (and LOTS of it) but I would also like to see them add a couple of OFs and a 1B with real power potential. If they invest in Cespedes and Soler that would resolve the OF need, and some of the free agent Cuban pitchers might fill the lower minors with pitching depth as the Classes of 2009 and 2010 (IMO, two GREATLY UNDER RATED pitching drafts) move up through the system.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would prefer to see our talent shortage abated with the prudent investment of money BEFORE draft day.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by Don » February 2nd, 2012, 12:22 pm

Four rules of thumb....

1. You can never have enough pitching.

2. You can never have enough shortstops.

3. You can never have enough power.

4. You can never have enough speed.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #20 by ofahn » February 3rd, 2012, 11:03 am

Don wrote:Four rules of thumb....

1. You can never have enough pitching.

2. You can never have enough shortstops.

3. You can never have enough power.

4. You can never have enough speed.

5. You can never have enough wisdom to follow One through Four.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Don » February 28th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Seeing Lucas Giolito hit 100 mph and just a future 4 pitch mix, the top prospect on my board will not slot to 1:4 as it did last season with teams passing on Dylan Bundy.

I hope I am wrong for the fans of the Orioles, but I do not see him slipping past the Twins. His mother is originally from Minnesota and may be the icing on the top to convince the Twins to tab him, if Houston passes on him.

I would not worry too much because there is enough talent in the this class to get a good player at 1:4.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #22 by Tucker Blair » February 29th, 2012, 11:29 pm

I hope so Don. I honestly was shocked that Bundy fell to the Orioles last season.

Nabbing Giolito and Bundy in consecutive years would almost not be fair! But The Orioles need SOMETHING in that aspect to happen for them. They need as many breaks as possible. But like you said, I just don't see Houston or Minn passing on him honestly.

How do you feel about Appel? I have heard mixed reviews on him (all think he is a top guy, but some think he is a little overrated)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #23 by Don » March 1st, 2012, 8:54 am

Mark Appel is a quality pitcher with a good selection of pitches that should have at least 4 MLB quality pitches in his pocket. He may still have an extra gear to sustain his pitches longer with some added strength and bulk.

What keeps him knocked down is the lack of a killer instinct, which may be more about the programs philosophy over his ability. He needs to sharpen the breaking ball and turn it into a true out pitch. His fastball, both 2S and 4S, are both quality and he might have the best change up in this class (Wacha is the only other one with that mix as well).

By all means guys, ask questions if you have any. I will be submitting to Jordan my mid-march 50 to give the college guys a full month. I plan to try and update one or two more times along the way.

I do not know how Jordan will do his top ten or top five, but he will let everyone know shortly.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #24 by A_K » March 1st, 2012, 12:51 pm

I realize that in our current position, we don't have the luxury of targeting positional need, and instead need to take the best player available at all times.

That said, I'm curious, Don, if you currently see any college position players that appear viable options at 1:4?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #25 by Tucker Blair » March 1st, 2012, 12:54 pm

A_K wrote:I realize that in our current position, we don't have the luxury of targeting positional need, and instead need to take the best player available at all times.

That said, I'm curious, Don, if you currently see any college position players that appear viable options at 1:4?

do you read minds or something?
I was literally about to ask him that LOL.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #26 by Don » March 1st, 2012, 12:57 pm

Depends on what the team values with the new scouting heads and chief in charge.

Zunino - He has clearly re-established himself as the best position player from College. Even being a catcher, it should not deter the Orioles with Matt in fold and they would be foolish to pass if his value on there board was high enough to justify it.

Marrero - It depends how the Gary and Danny project his bat. His defense at SS will easily stick and he could be one of the top defensive shortstops in 5 years. The bat is contact driven and it is a matter if they think the aggressiveness irons out and he was just pressing too much.

Zimmer and Wacha are the to other arms that stick out from College other than Appel. Some teams are higher on Zimmer, but all three seem to grade out early on in the top half of round 1.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #27 by Rising O's » March 6th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Once the HS guys start in earnest I will pick a guy to follow for us to draft at #4. Right now I might go with Gausman.

BTW Victor Roache is out for the year already. Some say he may not get drafted until the 2nd round. I'd love to have him at that spot.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #28 by Shorebirdfan » March 6th, 2012, 8:50 pm

I'd like to see the team go college this year. I think with an eye on 2014 you need some who is closer to MLB ready.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #29 by Tucker Blair » March 7th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Looks like Lucas Giolito is out for the season, thus shaking up the draft board TREMENDOUSLY. It will be interesting to see how this affects the Orioles at 4.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #30 by ofahn » March 7th, 2012, 2:42 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Looks like Lucas Giolito is out for the season, thus shaking up the draft board TREMENDOUSLY. It will be interesting to see how this affects the Orioles at 4.

What happened to Giolito? Is it so bad that the team shouldn't consider him a later round gamble? If he's not drafted he can be signed as a free agent without a dollar limit, right?

With the new CBA it might be better for this kid to take a scholarship and wait until he's draft eligible again.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to MLB Draft