Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Showalter Said 2-4 Moves Could Be Made

Showalter Said 2-4 Moves Could Be Made

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » February 27th, 2012, 11:04 am

Showalter has said that it is possible that 2-4 moves could be made in spring training based off of people not making the club, getting outplayed, not having enough room, etc.

Who do you think are the most likely candidates to get moved?
Veterans? Young guys without any options left?
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Showalter Said 2-4 Moves Could Be Made

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » February 27th, 2012, 11:37 am

Berkin ... backup IF, possibly Davis, Bell 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by ofahn » February 27th, 2012, 12:18 pm

One of the LHs. Eveland, Patton, or Phillips.

I'm still expecting Jones to be moved in late March; but if they don't get the offer they want, then in July.

I think the real wildcard here is whether they make a move for Kendry Morales. Switch hitting first basemen are not easy to come by and he would become the best 1B in our system that might be part of the 2014 team. If they add him then he and Davis would share 1B and DH duties with Betemit playing DH against the really tough left handers.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » February 27th, 2012, 1:50 pm

I agree with one of the LHP.

Eveland/Patton/Phillips all essentially do the same thing out of pen. Eveland and Patton probably provide more innings potential though I would assume. That makes them more valuable in my opinion (to keep or trade).

Kevin Gregg would be a great piece to move for the Orioles, but does anyone honestly think that someone would even take him off their hands? The Orioles would have to absorb a large portion of his contract, if not all of it. That probably makes him very tough to move.

I would be furious if they traded a guy like Simon or Strop, as I feel both have much more upside and impact potential than others.

I could see Bergesen or Berken or O'day getting moved though. They have some value (little, but still there).

Offensively, I don't see much roster movement besides guys maybe like Josh Bell, or Jai Miller. Getting Kendrys Morals (as Ofahn said) would be nice, but I wonder how much that would cost.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by Zach » February 27th, 2012, 2:21 pm

I am more sold on Strop then Simon. Strop really looked like he had the potential to be a stud. Until the organization decides what they want to do with Simon (rotation or bullpen) he won't be able to develop into a piece that we can really use. If we do make any move I feel like they would be very minor and no big names like Morales. Duquette seems to want to see what he has in place this year for a place and what pieces can be used for the future rather than overhauling immediately. Guts, while a great piece of this team was not really a long term piece of this team.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » February 27th, 2012, 2:29 pm

I would probably agree Zach on Strop over Simon.

But Simon did have a 4.64 ERA and 3.63 FIP in 21 innings of relief in 2011. in 2010 he had a 4.93 ERA 5.67 FIP with 17 saves. Of course he obviously should not have been a closer, but was forced into the role because there were no other options. It's essentially been the same thing with him as a SP.
I think Simon is largely underrated out of the pen, and could provide plenty of value this season if used correctly. The past 2 season he has not been used correctly.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #7 by ofahn » February 27th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Zach wrote:If we do make any move I feel like they would be very minor and no big names like Morales.

I don't see us getting into a bidding war for Morales but, IF the Angels find a limited market for him I can see some real interest on our part. The problem is that we would probably have to give up something that might hurt. Oliver Drake and a veteran RP come to mind. If that's the price I think we should seriously consider it. Guys like Morales don't come along everyday and even can be trade bait if Mahoney has a great season at AAA.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Zach » February 27th, 2012, 3:11 pm

I didn't mean to imply that I don't like Simon. I do, but I think that Strop will develop into a better player and quicker. Drake and an experienced RP would be a deal that we should jump on immediately. I don't think that the Angels would touch that deal though...
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » February 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Zach wrote:I didn't mean to imply that I don't like Simon. I do, but I think that Strop will develop into a better player and quicker. Drake and an experienced RP would be a deal that we should jump on immediately. I don't think that the Angels would touch that deal though...

ho, no I totally knew what you meant haha. I agree as well, just think Simon hasn't been helped too much by the Orioles because of their own needs.

And I agree that they should jump on that deal but it probably is not a likely offer.

I was just thinking, and it wouldn't shock me to see someone like Scotty Beerer come out of nowhere and force Jai Miller to be dealt off.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by ofahn » February 27th, 2012, 3:44 pm

I'm sure that Drake and a veteran RP is less than the Angels would hope for, but there's virtually no market for a 1B/DH left with any team the Angels would want to trade with. The Rays could use him but I don't think Anaheim would want to send him to a club that they might be fighting for a wild card spot. Every other AL club has either an established veteran or quality prospect at that position.

In the NL I could see the Pirates having an interest but I doubt they would give up any more in prospects than I suggested. MAYBE the Brewers. At this point the Angels are going to have to hope for an injury to get a better return.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by thezeroes » February 27th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Options on 12 pitchers for the coming year.

Here is a list of pitchers that have options:
Jake Arrieta
Zach Britton
Brian Matusz
Chris Tillman
Tsuyoshi Wada
Wei-Yin Chen
Matt Lindstrom
Luis Ayala
Brad Bergesen
Jason Berken
Darren O'Day
Zach Phillips

Maybe a Bergesen and Berken for Morales. Two players with options that Angels can put in the minors and await there need at the MLB Level. We get a first baseman and clear two for one on the Forty.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #12 by osforlife » February 27th, 2012, 5:11 pm

thezeroes wrote:Maybe a Bergesen and Berken for Morales. Two players with options that Angels can put in the minors and await there need at the MLB Level. We get a first baseman and clear two for one on the Forty.

I suggested Bergy, Berken, and Tillman for Morales on a different site and got blasted for it, mainly because they said the Angels wouldn't go near that deal. I did not think of it as that bad of a suggestion.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #13 by ofahn » February 27th, 2012, 5:19 pm

osforlife wrote:
thezeroes wrote:Maybe a Bergesen and Berken for Morales. Two players with options that Angels can put in the minors and await there need at the MLB Level. We get a first baseman and clear two for one on the Forty.

I suggested Bergy, Berken, and Tillman for Morales on a different site and got blasted for it, mainly because they said the Angels wouldn't go near that deal. I did not think of it as that bad of a suggestion.

If I were the Angels and I was offered Bergesen and Tillman for Morales I would jump ALL over it considering the market for 1B/DH. I could see the Orioles giving up both of those pitchers IF Chen, Hunter, and Hammel have strong springs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » February 27th, 2012, 5:21 pm

I honestly don't think we make more than 2 moves. Injuries will kill some potential deals.
Gregg with a big chunk of money could always be shipped off.
Jones' name might come up in another teams training camp if a CF goes down.
Miller could prove he can stick therefore having to move Chavez.
Ayala and Eveland might be traded if the younger ones show they can step up(Strop, Simon: even though he really isn't that young, Patton, Phillips)
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » February 27th, 2012, 5:24 pm

ofahn wrote:
osforlife wrote:

If I were the Angels and I was offered Bergesen and Tillman for Morales I would jump ALL over it considering the market for 1B/DH. I could see the Orioles giving up both of those pitchers IF Chen, Hunter, and Hammel have strong springs.

Certainly a possibility.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles