Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Dodgers Claimed Matt Angle

The Dodgers Claimed Matt Angle

PostPost #1 by ofahn » February 23rd, 2012, 1:50 pm

The Dodgers have claimed outfielder Matt Angle off of waivers, Steve Melewski of MASNsports.com tweets. The Orioles designated Angle for assignment to create roster space for Luis Ayala approximately two weeks ago.

Angle debuted with the 2011 Orioles, playing all three outfield positions, and posting a .559 OPS in 95 plate appearances. The 26-year-old spent most of the season at Triple-A, where he posted a .271/.347/.344 line in 489 plate appearances. He hit his first big league home run off of Justin Verlander in Detroit as the right-hander attempted to win his 25th game of the season.

I wish we would have been able to hold on to him. I was really disappointed when then designated him for assignment. I felt there were others that we could have chosen before him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/d ... angle.html
Last edited by ofahn on February 23rd, 2012, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: The Dodgers Claimed Matt Angle

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » February 23rd, 2012, 1:56 pm

I am not surprised he was claimed. Decent 4th OF option with some speed off the bench that can play CF.
That being said, He went untouched until the Dodgers, which says a lot for how teams viewed him.

I wish him the best of luck in LA. He shouldn't have a problem sticking with the Dodgers as a 4th OF imo.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by Zach » February 23rd, 2012, 2:41 pm

While I'm not torn up over losing Angle, I still question how much better Jai Miller will be over him. They both seem to be 4th outfielder material and with Angle under team control and cheaper I don't understand the signing.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by A_K » February 23rd, 2012, 3:17 pm

I'd put the chances of Matt Angle becoming a relevant major leaguer at roughly .001 percent.

But that's technically higher than the zero percent chance that the same thing happens for Jai Miller.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » February 23rd, 2012, 4:14 pm

Zach wrote:While I'm not torn up over losing Angle, I still question how much better Jai Miller will be over him. They both seem to be 4th outfielder material and with Angle under team control and cheaper I don't understand the signing.

If I'm not mistaken, Miller had decent power numbers in the minors. How this plays out on the MLB level, who knows?? I think the Orioles knew what they would have with Angle (ok glove, speed and no power). Miller, I'm guessing in their minds, has more of an upside. Time will tell I guess 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by osforlife » February 23rd, 2012, 5:02 pm

A_K wrote:I'd put the chances of Matt Angle becoming a relevant major leaguer at roughly .001 percent.

Why do you say that? He gets on base a decent amount, he knows how to bunt, he's good with the glove, he steals bases at a crazy rate. Sure, he will never become at superstar, but I see know reason why he wouldn't be a solid 4th outfielder off the bench.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by osforlife » February 23rd, 2012, 5:04 pm

Upset that we let Angle AND Hudson go. Both could be decent 4th outfielders.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by A_K » February 23rd, 2012, 5:33 pm

Guys who "could be decent 4th outfielders" are hardly a scarce quantity. If one of the worst farm systems in baseball lost two without much resistance in just one offseason, obviously they're not hard to find. I said he wouldn't become a relevant major leaguer because "decent 4th outfielders" are largely irrelevant.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by osforlife » February 23rd, 2012, 6:26 pm

A_K wrote:Guys who "could be decent 4th outfielders" are hardly a scarce quantity. If one of the worst farm systems in baseball lost two without much resistance in just one offseason, obviously they're not hard to find. I said he wouldn't become a relevant major leaguer because "decent 4th outfielders" are largely irrelevant.

Is Gerardo Parra is not revelant?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by A_K » February 23rd, 2012, 6:45 pm

You're mistaking circumstance with ability. Parra would be a starting LF for this team. In AZ he's a 4th OF. His true ability is better than 4th OF.

Matt Angle's absolute best case scenario is as a true 4th OF. Like Corey Patterson or Felix Pie.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by osforlife » February 23rd, 2012, 8:57 pm

A_K wrote:Matt Angle's absolute best case scenario is as a true 4th OF. Like Corey Patterson or Felix Pie.

Says who? Your crystal ball? The dude has had 79 at-bats in the majors. He knows the fundamentals. He could contribute in alot of categories besides slugging percentage/homeruns/RBI's.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Zach » February 23rd, 2012, 9:06 pm

What could he contribute in? I don't want someone to be an everyday part of my outfield because they know how to bunt. His stat line throughout the minors is solid but nothing impressive. Batting average is another key thing. He doesn't have the power to play a corner outfield position regularly and doesn't have the average to play center regularly. He is the quintessential 4th outfielder.
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by osforlife » February 23rd, 2012, 9:13 pm

Zach wrote:What could he contribute in? I don't want someone to be an everyday part of my outfield because they know how to bunt. His stat line throughout the minors is solid but nothing impressive. Batting average is another key thing. He doesn't have the power to play a corner outfield position regularly and doesn't have the average to play center regularly. He is the quintessential 4th outfielder.

Steals, good defense, ability to bunt, hustle. Batting average is simply a componet of OBP and Angle has a good OBP throughout the minors. Declining, but still solid. Who's to say he couldn't get a .350+ OBP in the majors?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Zach » February 23rd, 2012, 9:34 pm

Steals and hustle don't matter if you can't get on base. He hadn't posted a .350+ OBP in two years at the AAA level. Plus if that is all we are hoping for in this organization we are going to some rough years in front of us. He is not the solution as an everyday starter in the major leagues.
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Shorebirdfan » February 23rd, 2012, 9:47 pm

I'm not upset the Orioles moved Matt Angle. I'm not upset the Orioles moved Kyle Hudson. I'm not upset the Orioles moved Pedro Florimon. I'm not upset the Orioles moved Greg Miclat. I'm not upset the Orioles moved Randy Henry. I'm not upset the Orioles moved Rick VandenHurk. I'm not upset the Orioles moved Clay Rapada, I'm not upset the Orioles moved Brandon Snyder. I'm not upset the Orioles moved Jarrett Martin. I'm not upset the Orioles moved Tyler Henson. I'm not upset the Orioles moved Justin Turner. I'm not upset the Orioles moved Pedro Beato.

I'm upset the Orioles moved Matt Angle, Kyle Hudson, Pedro Florimon, Greg Miclat, Randy Henry, Rick VandenHurk, Clay Rapada, Bandon Snyder, Jarrett MArtin, Tyler Henson, Justin Turner and Pedro Beato and got NOTHING to show for it. This is a team that needs to be looking to 2014-2015 as the timeline to contend, and NO ONE that they have gotten back in all these moves will be a part of the team at that time. The list above instead includes 1 possible 2, long shot three players who could have contributed come that time frame as part of the 25 man roster.

Majors roles? Most likely not, but the Giants didn't expect Cody Ross to play a major part in 2010 (since he was claimed off waivers late in the season), nor did the Cardinals expect Alan Craig to play a major part last season.

I just feel like you have a better chance of catching lightning with a group of kids trying to be all they can be than you do with a group of older kids who already have proven all that they can be.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles