Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Trading Jim Johnson

Re: Trading Jim Johnson

PostPost #16 by birdwatcher55 » February 23rd, 2012, 12:40 pm

Koji for JJ would be disaster for us. I can't imagine DD being that stupid 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #17 by ofahn » February 23rd, 2012, 1:46 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Koji for JJ would be disaster for us. I can't imagine DD being that stupid 8-)

I believe you may misunderstand. No one is suggesting a Koji for JJ trade. They're suggesting getting the same kind of RETURN for a JJ trade as we got for Koji. I agree with the crowd that says THAT wouldn't be enough and we should look for what the Padres got for Mike Adams.

To me, that justifies trading JJ and NOTHING less.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by Ampontan » February 24th, 2012, 12:12 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I still am perplexed as to why the Orioles thought trading Jarred Martin and Randy Henry was a good idea. They could have easily been bullpen arms in the next year or two.

"Easily"? Martin had a 4.96 ERA last year in Delmarva, 1.55 WHIP, and had a BB/9 ratio over 5. He'll be lucky to make it past AA, ever, much less to the majors. Henry was better, but he's had arm problems and hasn't spent a full season at High A. They obviously thought Schrader, Ryan Berry, and several others, including all those college pitchers they drafted last year, were better bets.

In return, we got a backup catcher for the major league roster right now who Showalter specifically asked for, and who will be under our control for several more years.

That was a good trade, and the only way it turns out bad is if Teagarden is a total bust and Henry turns into JJohnson. Unlikely, I think.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #19 by Ampontan » February 24th, 2012, 12:16 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:the Rotation currently looks to be completely inconsistent and troublesome. Even if 2 of the 5 turn into good starters, the Orioles would still be well below the pack. I just think the Orioles would be better off trading him for prospects rather than waiting on the SP to turn into something that they haven't even proved yet.

That's why we've got 10 legit candidates instead of five. Two of them were the first game starting pitchers in the Japan Series last year.

None of them might be Cy Young, but I bet they won't be Jo-Jo Reyes either. (Or Bergesen the last couple of years.)
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #20 by Oriole85 » February 24th, 2012, 1:45 am

No player on the 40 man with the possible of exceptions of Bundy/Machado are completely untradeable. So sure if another team really wanted a reliever like JJ, sure why not? If somehow he could start and make a CJ Wilson-like transformation, he becomes much more valuable.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles