Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #44: Brian Ward

ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #44: Brian Ward

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 22nd, 2012, 9:49 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/02/22/to ... rian-ward/

Brian Ward was signed by the Orioles as a non-drafted free agent in 2009 out of Lewis-Clark (Idaho) State College.

He was sent to play with the IronBirds, where he immediately began to show off his patient approach at the plate and plus defensive skills — the two things that have carried him throughout his professional career. He posted 20 walks and struck out just 16 times in 137 plate appearances while throwing out 35% of base stealers.

Full Top 50 List
44. Brian Ward
45. Aaron Baker
46. Jesse Beal
47. Cole McCurry
48. Mark Blackmar
49. Wynn Pelzer
50. Sean Gleason
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #44: Brian Ward

PostPost #2 by ofahn » February 22nd, 2012, 10:31 am

I think his age and his skill set make his upside a back up catcher, BUT a very good backup catcher.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » February 22nd, 2012, 10:46 am

ofahn wrote:I think his age and his skill set make his upside a back up catcher, BUT a very good backup catcher.

I am really really rooting for him in the future. I know Don absolutely loves his defensive game. He seems like a nice guy with a level head as well though. Tough to not cheer for someone like this.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by ofahn » February 22nd, 2012, 11:18 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
ofahn wrote:I think his age and his skill set make his upside a back up catcher, BUT a very good backup catcher.

I am really really rooting for him in the future. I know Don absolutely loves his defensive game. He seems like a nice guy with a level head as well though. Tough to not cheer for someone like this.

Quite often, these kinds of players are the bedrock of a team. Particularly, in the clubhouse.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by osforlife » February 22nd, 2012, 3:11 pm

Is Caleb Joseph supposed to be the starting catcher for Norfolk at the beginning of the season? His stats tell me he should stay at Bowie and let John Hester get a full season of at-bats.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » February 22nd, 2012, 4:04 pm

osforlife wrote:Is Caleb Joseph supposed to be the starting catcher for Norfolk at the beginning of the season? His stats tell me he should stay at Bowie and let John Hester get a full season of at-bats.

I really have no clue how C is going to work in the minors.

AAA has Paulino and Hester. If Nick Johnson and Mahoney are at AAA too, then one of them will be DH...
Caleb Joseph is stuck in no-man land right now under my impression.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #7 by ofahn » February 22nd, 2012, 4:28 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Caleb Joseph is stuck in no-man land right now under my impression.

The club seems to have soured on him for some reason. He wasn't sent to the AFL last fall, he was exposed to the Rule 5 draft, and he wasn't invited to spring training.

Perplexing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » February 22nd, 2012, 11:38 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:Caleb Joseph is stuck in no-man land right now under my impression.

The club seems to have soured on him for some reason. He wasn't sent to the AFL last fall, he was exposed to the Rule 5 draft, and he wasn't invited to spring training.

Perplexing.

And it seemed like just a year earlier he was on the fast track to being Wieters back up. I know his offensive numbers really have not improved but you said it well. Perplexing.

On Ward, I am hoping to see a great season of progression from him and think he will at least get a short stint in Baltimore.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 23rd, 2012, 9:54 pm

osforlife wrote:Is Caleb Joseph supposed to be the starting catcher for Norfolk at the beginning of the season? His stats tell me he should stay at Bowie and let John Hester get a full season of at-bats.

I get the feeling Joseph is going to be playing OF/1B/DH wherever he goes. Ward should start at Bowie.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » February 23rd, 2012, 10:35 pm

Jordan wrote:

I get the feeling Joseph is going to be playing OF/1B/DH wherever he goes. Ward should start at Bowie.

yep. I can;t see any scenario where Ward is not Bowie's C.
It's unfortunate for Caleb, but he will have to find playing time now.
I personally think his bat is terrible for 1B, and maybe even OF
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Return to Minor Leagues