Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #43: Michael Ohlman

ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #43: Michael Ohlman

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 22nd, 2012, 10:01 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/02/22/to ... el-ohlman/

Michael Ohlman was drafted by the Orioles in the 11th round of the 2009 draft out of Lakewood Ranch HS (Florida). He made his pro debut in the GCL shortly after signing and registered 11 at-bats.

Ohlman’s struggled through what was a rough 2010. He opened the year with the Shorebirds, but suffered from the yips and was sent back to extended spring training. After a short stay in extended, Ohlman was sent to Bluefield. He returned to Delmarva to open 2011.

Full Top 50 List
43. Michael Ohlman
44. Brian Ward
45. Aaron Baker
46. Jesse Beal
47. Cole McCurry
48. Mark Blackmar
49. Wynn Pelzer
50. Sean Gleason
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #43: Michael Ohlman

PostPost #2 by ofahn » February 22nd, 2012, 10:36 am

This is a kid that was probably a failure of the "development system", or whatever that mess was. We made a 995K investment in him, and Joe Jordan seems to know talent, so you would think there's something there.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » February 22nd, 2012, 11:33 pm

I'm a firm believer that it is time to try a new position. I saw a lot of positive things with the bat last season compared to 2010 (when he looked really bad). He has a terrible time making the transition from glove to hand in trying to throw out runners. Does have a solid arm.

I would move him to LF where I think he could focus more on his hitting.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by Ampontan » February 22nd, 2012, 11:34 pm

ofahn wrote:This is a kid that was probably a failure of the "development system", or whatever that mess was. We made a 995K investment in him, and Joe Jordan seems to know talent, so you would think there's something there.

That's certainly possible, and the work DD seems to be doing in the minors will hopefully correct any problem with the system.

On the other hand, phenom flameouts are a part of baseball. And the more I think about Jordan --- Hudson in the fourth round? --- the more I start to wonder.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » February 22nd, 2012, 11:45 pm

Don or Jordan, when you mention the names nipping at his heels, I don't see Winston Sawyer on that list. Oversight or does Sawyer pass Michael and jump to Frederick?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by bird's fan » February 23rd, 2012, 8:03 am

This player is a perfect example of how bad our system is. How he is even listed as a prospect is a joke but not the only joke on the prospect list. It's not personal but business. The prospect list should be put on hold until the new regime gets into place and then they can ID top prospects. The O's have thrown so much money at players who will never make it and this guy is one of them. I've seen him behind the plate and it was embarrassing because his mechanics are awful and you could see pitcher's visibly upset with him. For him to drop and block a pitch just doesn't happen and his framing of pitches leaves a lot to be desired. His bat also leaves a lot to question about what anyone saw with his talent level.
bird's fan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by ofahn » February 23rd, 2012, 8:47 am

bird's fan wrote:The O's have thrown so much money at players who will never make it

What you say is true BUT it's unfortunately part of the game. I stopped complaining about individual bad amateur player investments a long time ago because I now believe that a draft should be evaluated on the number of players that make it to the ML, not how one player developed. The 2009 draft is a good example. IMO Hobgood was a poor choice for the first pick, but there's a lot of talent in that draft and I think we'll start to see some of it maturing this year. If we get three ML pitchers out of it the 40 some odd failures in that draft will be easier to forget.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Zach » February 23rd, 2012, 9:16 am

Every team in the majors has invested money in a draft pick that hasn't panned out. It is insane to say that a organization is a bust based on someone ranked as the 43 prospect being a bust.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 23rd, 2012, 9:52 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Don or Jordan, when you mention the names nipping at his heels, I don't see Winston Sawyer on that list. Oversight or does Sawyer pass Michael and jump to Frederick?

Sawyer is ahead of Ohlman on this list, so we simply overlooked him. Should have been listed there.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #10 by Ampontan » February 24th, 2012, 12:26 am

bird's fan wrote:I've seen him behind the plate and it was embarrassing because his mechanics are awful and you could see pitcher's visibly upset with him. For him to drop and block a pitch just doesn't happen and his framing of pitches leaves a lot to be desired.

Interesting observation. Just today I saw a spring training report that he caught a bullpen session, and as soon as the pitcher was done Chris Hoiles started giving Ohlman advice.

There's been speculation before that he should have a position switch.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #11 by Don » February 24th, 2012, 11:54 am

While he has issues framing, footwork movement a bit early, way he retracts the glove, and other minor issues, he has the athletic ability to iron them out with better instruction, or an instructor that is able to get through to him.

As with teachers, one may have the ability to reach to one kid and not the other, but if you went down the hall it could be the exact opposite. All it takes is one voice and maybe he can turn the corner.

Unfortunately there are multiple catchers that could easily jump him this spring. He was invited as a replacement over other because the Orioles want to get him additional work and the chance to get more instructors to get a look and see if they can iron out the wrinkles.

I get the Orioles fairly hard on the PD side because of the lack of instructors, not the ones in place. There are a few that do a very good job, but they need a handful more roving pitching instructors, hitting instructors, fielding instructors all preaching the same things, not everyone responds to the same people. If you double your staff or even add a 1/4 to the total, it increases the chances that 5 more prospects that have a better shot of reaching their potential.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #12 by bird's fan » February 24th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Don wrote:While he has issues framing, footwork movement a bit early, way he retracts the glove, and other minor issues, he has the athletic ability to iron them out with better instruction, or an instructor that is able to get through to him.

As with teachers, one may have the ability to reach to one kid and not the other, but if you went down the hall it could be the exact opposite. All it takes is one voice and maybe he can turn the corner.

Unfortunately there are multiple catchers that could easily jump him this spring. He was invited as a replacement over other because the Orioles want to get him additional work and the chance to get more instructors to get a look and see if they can iron out the wrinkles.

I get the Orioles fairly hard on the PD side because of the lack of instructors, not the ones in place. There are a few that do a very good job, but they need a handful more roving pitching instructors, hitting instructors, fielding instructors all preaching the same things, not everyone responds to the same people. If you double your staff or even add a 1/4 to the total, it increases the chances that 5 more prospects that have a better shot of reaching their potential.
Well put and it might work out for him. The O's development system has left a lot to be desired but , hopefully, that will change. Roving instructors are something that is sorely needed, especially roving pitching instructors.
bird's fan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #13 by Old Sneakers » March 3rd, 2012, 4:15 pm

I know it's a lot of work but please keep the prospect countdown coming. I come to the site to look for them five times per week.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Return to Minor Leagues