Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What needs to happen for this season to be considered a "success"

What needs to happen for this season to be considered a "success"

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » February 19th, 2012, 2:31 pm

What needs to happen for this season to be considered a "success"?

Is there a particular player you are looking for a good season from? A certain number of wins?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: What needs to happen for this season to be considered a "success"

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 19th, 2012, 2:52 pm

I'm looking to determine which young pitchers are legit, whether they belong in the bullpen, if they need more time to develop etc.

I am obviously, like most, less concerned with wins this season and am looking more to see what we have in guys like Matusz, Britton, Reimold, Tillman, Arrieta, etc.

In the minors I am looking to see if they changes Duquette has made really improve the ability for this organization to develop their young players. That's what's most important to me.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Zach » February 19th, 2012, 3:37 pm

I think on top of all the things that Jordan said I think this is the season where we determine what pieces we are going to build around. I am looking to see if Weiters continues the development we have seen thus far and works closer to the Mauer comparison everyone was giving him. Also, I want to see the development of Adam Jones. This season will show whether he is going to take his game to the next level or whether we made a mistake in not trading him this offseason. While a winning season would be nice after 14 losing seasons (I think I counted right) it is not what I am most concerned about. I want to see the development of the organization in a direction where the future is legitimately evaluated and the proper decisions are made so we can start worrying about how many consecutive winning season we can get.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » February 19th, 2012, 4:23 pm

I am most interested in seeing the continued development of Weiters. Already near the top of the AL list of C, I think this has the potential to be the year he puts up the big numbers.

I agree with Jordan on the young pitchers. Key seasons for Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta and Britton. Their development will play a key role in determining if 2014 can be a year that this club truly contends.

In the minors, I think the big key if how quickly do the 2011 draftees progress. As an organization that has a history of rushing prospects, but has spent the off season building minor league depth and re-organizing its development team, the progression of Bundy, Esposito and Delmonico will play a big part in the timing of the teams potential return.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by Matt P » February 19th, 2012, 4:58 pm

A lot of things that are unlikely to happen :(
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by osforlife » February 19th, 2012, 5:51 pm

In a perfect world…
Davis and Reimold perform admirably in a full season at-bats.
Chen and Wada pitch decently despite all the new challenges facing them in America.
Johnson assumes the closer’s role as if it was his set-up role.
B-Rob’s replacements (Andino, Antonelli, Flaherty, and Adams) hold up to at least replacement level.
Adam Jones takes the next step and becomes a star.
Tillman, Bergesen, and Matusz pitch well in the minors and force their way onto the big league roster.
Machado and Schoop continue their development well.
Dylan and Bobby Bundy pitch well at Delmarva and Bowie, respectively.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by thezeroes » February 19th, 2012, 9:06 pm

The resources, both in management and players, that Dan Duquette has brought in improve the overall structure of the Orioles from rookie ball to the Major League squad. This will give the Orioles a chance to be part of the off-season moves needed to get the club into contention. In short, improved depth throughout the entire Oriole's system would make this season a success.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #8 by Tucker Blair » February 19th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Jordan pretty much covered my thoughts, but I just want to reiterate about the young pitching.

I NEED to see at least some form of prolonged success the entire season from at least two of them to deem this year a success. I essentially assume the offense will be decent enough this year. Nothing special, but not the reason the orioles are terrible.

Matusz
Britton
Arrieta
Bergesen
Tillman
Chen (He is only 26, as old as Arrieta and Bergesen will be this season)

If 2 of them can provide the Orioles with good to excellent seasons, then I will deem this year a success. Because based off of last year, that would be a blessing.

I could care less what Hammel, Hunter, Wada do. I don't see them as any more than stop gaps honestly. Any true competing team would not have them as their 2-3-4 starters in the rotation
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #9 by thezeroes » February 20th, 2012, 8:01 am

Hunter is younger than:
Jake Arrieta
Brad Bergesen
Troy Patton
Wi-Yen Chen
Pedro Strop
Jason Berken
Dane Eveland
Jim Johnson
Darren O`Day
Jason Hammel
Tsuyoshi Wada
Alfredo Simon
Matt Lindstrom
Kevin Gregg
Luis Ayala
Yet you do not care what he does. I would need to ask why???
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » February 20th, 2012, 9:34 am

I dont see hunter as anything more than a 4-5 starter honestly. His ceiling is not as high as the others in my opinion.
I obviously "care", I should have said It won't change my opinion on the season based off what he does.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #11 by thezeroes » February 20th, 2012, 9:44 am

Understood. I see him as a three and an "Innings Eater" so we differ on the outlook. (Kevin Millwood clone) If nothing else he may be a piece to trade in 2014 for parts needed.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Tucker Blair » February 20th, 2012, 10:38 am

thezeroes wrote:Understood. I see him as a three and an "Innings Eater" so we differ on the outlook. (Kevin Millwood clone) If nothing else he may be a piece to trade in 2014 for parts needed.

Yea I see him as an innings guy too. I just don't want to be overly optimistic about him. I think his good season in Texas, might have been his peak Which isn't a bad thing at all, but he was a very lucky pitcher that season. Hs FIP and xFIP were a run higher than his ERA. He got away with a lot in that 13-4 season, and had one of the best offenses in baseball to help him out.

He is a valuable piece to have on a club, but I don't think the Orioles should or could build around him.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » February 20th, 2012, 2:40 pm

I don't see more than 72-75 wins but if Matusz bounces back and the rest of The Cavalry shows good progress I would classify this season as a pleasant surprise 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #14 by Matt P » February 20th, 2012, 9:23 pm

So, it will be a success if the team fails to reach the playoffs as long as individuals progress?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 20th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Matt P wrote:So, it will be a success if the team fails to reach the playoffs as long as individuals progress?

Realistically, yes.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles