Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Which young pitcher is going to step up?

Which young pitcher is going to step up?

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » February 20th, 2012, 1:09 pm

With Hunter, Wada, Chen, and Hammel essentially locks, there is going to be a battle for that last spot.

You have to think that one of the younger pitchers is really going to step up, pitch well, and get a handle on that last rotation spot. (I hope!) :D

Which young pitcher do you think will be it? I would go with Britton obviously landing it out of spring training but I think when an injury happens that Matusz will come up and really surprise everyone.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Which young pitcher is going to step up?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » February 20th, 2012, 1:13 pm

I think Matusz will be the pleasant surprise of the Spring but I still see him starting in AAA. I honestly think that DD wants the vets to pitch well enough to justify opening the season with them and then start bringing up the kids starting in May, if they earn it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by BuckMagic » February 20th, 2012, 1:16 pm

ofahn wrote:I think Matusz will be the pleasant surprise of the Spring but I still see him starting in AAA. I honestly think that DD wants the vets to pitch well enough to justify opening the season with them and then start bringing up the kids starting in May, if they earn it.

I agree with that. As I said I think Britton will be the only young pitcher in the rotation when camp breaks. But when the first youngin is called from AAA I expect it to be Matusz and I expect him to perform well. :D
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by ofahn » February 20th, 2012, 1:24 pm

BuckMagic wrote:I think Britton will be the only young pitcher in the rotation

IF the vets pitch well I can see even Britton starting the season in AAA.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Zach » February 20th, 2012, 2:20 pm

I hate the idea of a lock for the rotation. I think it should truly be an open competition for the rotation. Guts was the only one who had earned the right to be a lock regardless of performance in ST and I think that we should go with the best 5.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » February 20th, 2012, 2:38 pm

I'm going long and deep on this one and predict it will be Tillman. Just gut feeling I have. I think he forces someone out of the rotation and into the bullpen 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by osforlife » February 20th, 2012, 6:18 pm

BuckMagic wrote:
ofahn wrote:I think Matusz will be the pleasant surprise of the Spring but I still see him starting in AAA. I honestly think that DD wants the vets to pitch well enough to justify opening the season with them and then start bringing up the kids starting in May, if they earn it.

I agree with that. As I said I think Britton will be the only young pitcher in the rotation when camp breaks. But when the first youngin is called from AAA I expect it to be Matusz and I expect him to perform well. :D

Is Hunter not considered young? He's younger than Matusz and Arrieta. Matusz had a 10.69 ERA last year. Why would the WORST PITCHER OF ALL TIME make the rotation? He's NOT GOING TO MAKE IT. I can guarantee that.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by CSPitt17130 » February 20th, 2012, 6:30 pm

osforlife wrote:Is Hunter not considered young? He's younger than Matusz and Arrieta. Matusz had a 10.69 ERA last year. Why would the WORST PITCHER OF ALL TIME make the rotation? He's NOT GOING TO MAKE IT. I can guarantee that.

First, he's not younger than Matusz and Arrieta is older by 4 months so the age difference is negligible. He doesn't have the upside that the future of this team is relying on that Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, and Tillman have. That means it doesn't really matter in the long run whether Hunter is fully developed or not, which is why Duquette wants the other guys back in AAA.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by osforlife » February 20th, 2012, 7:29 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:
osforlife wrote:Is Hunter not considered young? He's younger than Matusz and Arrieta. Matusz had a 10.69 ERA last year. Why would the WORST PITCHER OF ALL TIME make the rotation? He's NOT GOING TO MAKE IT. I can guarantee that.

First, he's not younger than Matusz and Arrieta is older by 4 months so the age difference is negligible. He doesn't have the upside that the future of this team is relying on that Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, and Tillman have. That means it doesn't really matter in the long run whether Hunter is fully developed or not, which is why Duquette wants the other guys back in AAA.

okay, my mistake on matusz. But he's only 25, which makes him young. I'd rather have results than upside. Tommy Hunter has about 1 and a third seasons (2009 and 2010 starts) under his belt that were more successful than any of the calvary. Tillman has proved nothing at the major league level and showed that he can't dominate at AAA, or even compete (5.19 2011 AAA ERA) Sure, that number has something to do with shuttling back and forth from Balitmore and Norfolk, but my point is, I'd much rather have Hunter over Tillman, and possibly Matusz. Britton and Arrieta have shown some success in MLB AND their upside is high, so I'd probably take them over Hunter, But you get my point.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Zach » February 20th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Hunter was more successful playing for a team with a legitimate offensive attack. He also did not have the pressure on him of being considered a saving force for an organization. Matusz has also shown us success at a major league level and has much more potential than Hunter. Even Tillman has had moments where it looked like it was going to click. The Texas game a few years ago and in a few games this year he has shown his potential. Hunter has been a solid pitcher, but won't rise up from what he has done this far.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #11 by osforlife » February 20th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Zach wrote:Hunter was more successful playing for a team with a legitimate offensive attack. He also did not have the pressure on him of being considered a saving force for an organization. Matusz has also shown us success at a major league level and has much more potential than Hunter. Even Tillman has had moments where it looked like it was going to click. The Texas game a few years ago and in a few games this year he has shown his potential. Hunter has been a solid pitcher, but won't rise up from what he has done this far.

So Tillman's had a few good games out of 36. Who wouldn't have a few good games? He's good pretty good stuff, but he doesn't know how to pitch. Matusz has shown he can be pretty decent, he has also shown he can be the worst pitcher of all time. If he's not being considering part of the calvary, why would he think he is a saving force for this organization?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Matt P » February 20th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Yeah, I don't really get why nobody cares for Hunter. He pitched well in Texas before last season and last season he was hurt and pitching out of the bullpen before he came over to Baltimore. He's done more than any of the "cavalry" has so far in his career that's for sure.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #13 by Don » February 20th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Almost anyone outside of Jamie Moyer is young to me these days.

I think Chen will surprise a few people this year. His pitches move, good mix, and a nice idea of setting up hitters. He is a blend of power and pitchability out of the left side. If he can hit the low 90's on a 4 days of rest, he could be a nice addition to the pen. At 26 yrs of age, he should be lumped into the "young pitcher" conversation.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #14 by dan72 » February 21st, 2012, 7:58 am

Any pitcher from outside our organization is ahead of the game. Our pitchers are BB machines. If someone could get through to them it would be nice.
I like Hunter and I agree that he is an innnings eater, and he will keep you in games.
Having said that I think Matusz has the most potential.
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Beaker » April 25th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Jake Arrieta has been the biggest surprise of the young starters so far.
Beaker
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles