Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Roberts in Sarasota, worked out at Ed Smith Stadium complex

Roberts in Sarasota, worked out at Ed Smith Stadium complex

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 20th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts worked out at the team’s Spring Training Complex in Sarasota on Monday afternoon, taking swings in the covered batting cages and throwing with shortstop J.J. Hardy.

Roberts has also been doing tee work and short toss hitting drills, according to manager Buck Showalter, who said the infielder has also been getting work done at the team’s Minor League facility at Twin Lakes Park. Roberts is recovering from a concussion and has been sidelined for most of the past two seasons with his recovery and rehab updates sporadic at best.

Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette did say Monday that the second baseman is on a “physical progression” although he acknowledged that the organization still doesn’t know if Roberts will have the tolerance and capability to do certain things.

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/2012/02 ... m-complex/

Very good news. Not expecting him to be ready for games anytime soon, but it's very encouraging considering just about a month ago the doctors instructed him to skip FanFest.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Roberts in Sarasota, worked out at Ed Smith Stadium complex

PostPost #2 by ofahn » February 20th, 2012, 4:42 pm

I don't want to be the wet blanket at this party BUT I'll be more optimistic when he's successfully completing in games.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » February 20th, 2012, 5:05 pm

ofahn wrote:I don't want to be the wet blanket at this party BUT I'll be more optimistic when he's successfully completing in games.

Agree. But glad to see Brian getting back in action.

Unfortunately, I think as an organization they are better off moving on from him and giving those AB to antonelli and Andino.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by Matt P » February 20th, 2012, 9:24 pm

I wish he would just retire instead of stealing money that could be spent on other players.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by thezeroes » February 20th, 2012, 10:57 pm

Matt P wrote:I wish he would just retire instead of stealing money that could be spent on other players.

His contract for the next two years is set at $10 Million per year. Only an idiot would retire and throw that type of money away.

Having said that, I do believe that at the very earliest convenience to the ball club, Brian Roberts will placed on the 60 Day Disabled List. This will free up a Forty-Man roster spot which will probably go to Nick Johnson if he can stay healthy.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #6 by OriolesRedskins28 » February 21st, 2012, 12:31 am

Awww man Roberts is gonna be healthy and the O's are going to greatly outperform expectations.

Why do I do this to myself every year...
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by dan72 » February 21st, 2012, 7:05 am

I have heard many baseball experts predict that Roberts has played his last game. As much as I'd like to see him back, I seriously doubt that will happen. I wish the media would stop covering him, all it does is frustrate me. Casual fans are waiting his return while all I see is money down the drain. Lets move on
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by Matt P » February 21st, 2012, 9:09 pm

thezeroes wrote:
Matt P wrote:I wish he would just retire instead of stealing money that could be spent on other players.

His contract for the next two years is set at $10 Million per year. Only an idiot would retire and throw that type of money away.

Having said that, I do believe that at the very earliest convenience to the ball club, Brian Roberts will placed on the 60 Day Disabled List. This will free up a Forty-Man roster spot which will probably go to Nick Johnson if he can stay healthy.

Yeah, I know. That's why I said I wish he would. He brought all of this on himself so I really don't have any sympathy for him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by Oriole85 » February 24th, 2012, 1:55 am

Matt P wrote:
thezeroes wrote:

Yeah, I know. That's why I said I wish he would. He brought all of this on himself so I really don't have any sympathy for him.

I think technically speaking the Orioles could try to insist he just get severance pay because of the self-inflicted injury. Maybe not entirely, but they could try to recoup some of it. Speaking of which, maybe the Orioles will pursue some sort of buyout with him.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #10 by Zach » February 24th, 2012, 9:07 am

How was this a self-inflicted injury? If I remember correctly he got the concussions while playing. A buyout is an option the orioles have, but should only pursue if they think there is no chance of him coming back. He was rushed back last year and that could have put us in the situation we have now by doing further damage.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #11 by A_K » February 24th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Roberts' concussion issues began when he hit himself in the head with a bat. The nature of the injury is that it becomes progressively easier to be concussed, and the effects become more severe, with each successive injury. So, it becomes more understandable how a knee to the head while sliding into second could keep a player out for a full calendar year when you consider that he first beat himself in the head with a thick, blunt instrument.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » February 27th, 2012, 11:38 am

Over-under he hits the DL by April 15???? :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #13 by DougDE » February 27th, 2012, 6:37 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Over-under he hits the DL by April 15???? :lol:

I'll take the under on that. I think he's done. Reports are his weight is way down and he doesnt even look like a pro athlete any more. He said in an interview he wakes up each day and prays that that day will be a good one. When the brain is injured that badly I just dont believe it ever gets back to where it was preinjury. Even if he does make it back, the BRob we know is most likely long gone
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » March 2nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

He wakes up and prays? If that is true, my question is why is he even in spring training at all. Just stay away and let others get the time.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #15 by CSPitt17130 » March 2nd, 2012, 8:50 pm

Rising O's wrote:He wakes up and prays? If that is true, my question is why is he even in spring training at all. Just stay away and let others get the time.

I don't think he specifically prays for a good day with regards to his concussion. He seems like a pretty religious guy, so it's most likely something that he'd do anyway.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles