Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

what do you expect from Wei-Yin Chen?

what do you expect from Wei-Yin Chen?

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » February 18th, 2012, 12:38 pm

some quotes today from Roch's blog got me thinking about Wei-Yin Chen
http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... ls-up.html

"I feel really good here," he said. "It's a beautiful ballpark and I'm really excited to be here. Especially I like the ballpark very much. It's so beautiful here. Everything's great. The weather in Florida is beautiful. Not like in Japan because it's so cold over there right now. I feel very comfortable to be here."
Chen said he lifted weights over the winter to get stronger.
"I did a lot of early preparation in Arizona because I know American baseball is totally different than Japan. I did a lot to prepare for that," he said. "I will be ready before the season starts and I hope I can get in the rotation. I hope I can be here at least 10 years or longer. When I was in high school, a lot of my classmates and teammates went to the states to play baseball, so that's always been my dream to play in the MLB."

Looks like he is really prepared and ready to go. I'm excited to see him go. I certainly think he'll grab a spot in the rotation. Maybe 150 innings with a 4.00? What are you expecting?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: what do you expect from Wei-Yin Chen?

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » February 18th, 2012, 1:01 pm

I expect him to initially struggle honestly. I could see him end up with a 4.50 ERA and 150 IP by years end though, I think he will have adjusting to do, but he should be alright.

I am more confident in Chen over Wada.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » February 18th, 2012, 1:15 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I expect him to initially struggle honestly.

I was thinking he might do well in April and early May. Basically, the first time around the league. Usually, when the parties don't know each other, pitching is ahead of hitting. When the hitters start making some adjustments I would expect some struggles. What happens after that will determine whether we got a nugget or a factory second.

What I'll be watching for is whether he can get outs with at least three of his pitches. If he can then I think he'll be OK in the long run.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » February 18th, 2012, 1:18 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:I expect him to initially struggle honestly.

I was thinking he might do well in April and early May. Basically, the first time around the league. Usually, when the parties don't know each other, pitching is ahead of hitting. When the hitters start making some adjustments I would expect some struggles. What happens after that will determine whether we got a nugget or a factory second.

What I'll be watching for is whether he can get outs with at least three of his pitches. If he can then I think he'll be OK in the long run.

That is a good point.
It's tough to really say though until I actually see him pitch.
Either way I expect him to end the season with decent numbers, nothing great. I don't think he will be a complete failure, but nothing to get overly excited about
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 18th, 2012, 2:28 pm

After this topic was posted on Twitter I got a response saying "Yin-Sanity!!!!!" Thought that was worth sharing.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by osforlife » February 18th, 2012, 4:32 pm

I could see him putting up similar numbers to Guthrie's 2011 season. Not as many innings though. Really looking forward to see if Chen and Wada can pan out!
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » February 18th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Jordan wrote:After this topic was posted on Twitter I got a response saying "Yin-Sanity!!!!!" Thought that was worth sharing.

LOL
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » February 18th, 2012, 11:47 pm

If he stays healthy and manages 150innings pitched and does not exceed 4.90 ERA on the season. I would consider it a major coup for the team.

If he gets 125innings and keeps his ERA below 5.00 then I consider it a very solid return.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 8th, 2012, 2:16 am

To say Chen has exceeded all of our expectations would be an understatement.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #10 by mikezpen » August 8th, 2012, 6:44 am

Looks like you called it right.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by ofahn » August 8th, 2012, 6:48 am

ofahn wrote:I was thinking he might do well in April and early May. Basically, the first time around the league. Usually, when the parties don't know each other, pitching is ahead of hitting. When the hitters start making some adjustments I would expect some struggles. What happens after that will determine whether we got a nugget or a factory second.

I wrote this in mid February. He did struggle a bit just before the All Star break but has made the adjustments. His last month has been worthy of Cy Young votes.

We really "caught lightening in a bottle" with this one.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles