Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Angels Have Potential Trade Pieces

Angels Have Potential Trade Pieces

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » February 18th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Jon Morosi tweeted this a moment ago:
It wouldn’t shock me if #Angels made 2 trades before end of spring training. Lots of redundancy: Morales, Trumbo, Wells, Abreu, Izturis.

It got me thinking, could the Orioles be interested in any of these players?

Morales and Trumbo would be very interesting options for 1B/DH, but you would probably have to give up something decent in return. Chris Davis could also end up being just as good with playing time (Not saying he is, but COULD). Morales is 28, Trumbo is 26.

Wells and Abreu I would stay far away from. They are the typical Orioles move over the past 15 years.

Izturis is an interesting option if he was indeed available. I think he is better than Andino, Antonelli, etc. But does he require giving up something good? He also is 31 already. But that being said, Andino will be turning 28 in April. Antonelli is 27 in April.

I know none of these guys are ideal, but I am thinking from the Orioles perspective, and what they feel could be upgrades. If they come at a good price, I would be fine with the Orioles getting Morales, or Izturis. I am not a fan of Trumbo honestly.

Another way to look at acquiring ANY of these guys would be the "living in the middle" aspect. Do they want to rebuild or not? trading for any of them would probably mean they are still in that middle stage
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Angels Have Potential Trade Pieces

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 18th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Morales is the only guy I would really target even if the O's had no options at 1B. But since Davis is already there I'm not really interested.

A trade with the Angels I would have liked to see would have involved Guthrie going to them. They had interest in AJ, so I imagine they would have been interested in Guthrie.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » February 18th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Jordan wrote:Morales is the only guy I would really target even if the O's had no options at 1B. But since Davis is already there I'm not really interested.

A trade with the Angels I would have liked to see would have involved Guthrie going to them. They had interest in AJ, so I imagine they would have been interested in Guthrie.

Kendry Morales would have much greater upside than Chris Davis. I know he's 28 but he has posted a 3+ WAR season in the majors, while Chris Davis has struggled in his Major League at bats. I would love to see Morales as an Oriole for the right price.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by osforlife » February 18th, 2012, 4:54 pm

How about a recap?
1. Not a big fan of Trumbo. We have power, need OBP. Trumbo's .291 OBP is not what the Orioles need.

2. Izturis is staying put IMO. Trading M.Izzy wouldn't really free up any spots for them since he is not a starter. He'll most likely be their infield utility guy.

3. Torri Hunter is still pretty valuable but is very expensive. Not what the Orioles need.

4. I'd bang my head against the wall until it bled if we traded for Vernon Wells. And i don't even need to explain.

5. Abreu still can get on base, and suprisingly steal 20+ bases, but he's that declining one-dimensional DH that we need to stay away from.

6. Callaspo is similair to Betemit. Trading for him would create a logjam. But so would any trade if you think about it.

7. Morales provides a pretty good wildcard. Risky, but potentially valuable.

All in all, the Angels will need to make at least one trade but I'm not so sure the Orioles are a PERFECT match.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by TrapezoidConspiracy » February 18th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Morales would look great on our DL.
TrapezoidConspiracy
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » February 20th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Pass on all 8-)