Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Angelos Shopping Orioles???

Angelos Shopping Orioles???

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » February 14th, 2012, 1:44 pm

EBJunkies Eric Bickel on 106.7 The Fan in DC:
FWIW I heard the Orioles r being quietly shopped by Peter Angelos. Good news 4 O's fans. Bad news is asking price isn't enticing 4 buyers.

What do you think???
8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Angelos Shopping Orioles???

PostPost #2 by ofahn » February 14th, 2012, 1:56 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:EBJunkies Eric Bickel on 106.7 The Fan in DC:
FWIW I heard the Orioles r being quietly shopped by Peter Angelos. Good news 4 O's fans. Bad news is asking price isn't enticing 4 buyers.

What do you think???
8-)

I won't become optimistic until I hear the same thing from an additional reliable source.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Zach » February 14th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Also, he in essence said nothing. Being shopped could be anything. Now if they do get sold he looks like a genius and if they don't it was because " the asking price was too high".
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by hsbaseballcoach » February 14th, 2012, 3:33 pm

The best off-season move for the O's would be to get a new owner. He is too heavily involved and knows next to nothing about the game. He is one of the worst owners in sports....definitely in the conversation.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by osforlife » February 14th, 2012, 3:52 pm

it would be pretty sad, but our attendance would probably spike if angels sold the team haha. I have no doubt that this is just a rumor though.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by A_K » February 14th, 2012, 4:15 pm

I don't think the attendance would change if Angelos sold the team, with the exception of maybe a slight bump to begin the season due to increased attention along with curiosity and excitement. Ultimately though if they didn't experience sustained winning, that bump would go away. One thing and one thing only affects attendance: Ws.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by ofahn » February 14th, 2012, 4:23 pm

A_K wrote:I don't think the attendance would change if Angelos sold the team, with the exception of maybe a slight bump to begin the season due to increased attention along with curiosity and excitement. Ultimately though if they didn't experience sustained winning, that bump would go away. One thing and one thing only affects attendance: Ws.

I think any attendance bump from PA announcing a deal to sell would be affected by WHOM he was going to sell it to. If someone like Cal Jr. was the front man then I think you would see a ground swell of excitement that would flow through the clubhouse into the stands. Of course, winning will be the ultimate draw but just the news that PA may be sailing down the Chesapeake may be the best news to hit Baltimore since they woke up one morning and found the flag still flying.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Don » February 14th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Believe me when I say this

No, there is no truth and someone is trying to make a highlight for themselves.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » February 14th, 2012, 6:40 pm

This is the first Birds on the Block rumor since Chip Mason four or five years ago. Angelos is 83. This is starting to make sense IMHO 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Don » February 14th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Again trust me...there is absolutely no truth to whatever was hashed out in the back room of a radio studio.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #11 by Rising O's » February 14th, 2012, 7:40 pm

I'm smiling. :D
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » February 16th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Don wrote:Again trust me...there is absolutely no truth to whatever was hashed out in the back room of a radio studio.

Two which I counter: how many 83 year old owners are there in Major League Baseball?? Something has to give here soon in my opinion 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by thezeroes » February 16th, 2012, 10:55 pm

As was the ownership of the NY Yankees so is the ownership o the Orioles.... Angelos has sons and they will become the managing general partners by default as they will hold the majority shares.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #14 by Zach » February 17th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Interesting list of potential buyers if Angelos does decide to sell the team, not that I am saying i per se believe the rumor yet... http://ihatejjr.com/content/next-owner-orioles
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » February 17th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Would totally LOVE Cuban taking charge here but right now that is a pipe dream. I can see Angelos' sons assuming control but I don't feel they will stay in control long, opting to sell out in the big picture. I don't think Biscuit would be interested at all. Why would he being in the position he is with one of the top franchises in the NFL??? Ripken seems underfinanced. If Angelos elects to sell, I'm sure you will see some unknown figures and groups emerging. They always do 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles