Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Rosenthal on Jones: "Orioles have options with Jones"

Rosenthal on Jones: "Orioles have options with Jones"

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » February 16th, 2012, 11:45 am

Have the Baltimore Orioles already blown it with center fielder Adam Jones?

Not if they grant Jones a long-term extension, a possibility that the team has started to explore.

But if the Orioles fail to sign Jones, then try to trade him, they indeed could be in a bind.

Jones, 26, agreed to a one-year, $6.15 contract Tuesday night, avoiding arbitration. He is eligible for arbitration one more time before hitting the free-agent market.

For Jones to agree to an extension, the Orioles would need to offer him at least five years, according to major-league sources.

And if such a deal is to occur, it probably would behoove the Orioles to get it done before Opening Day.

.... http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbb ... es/9941353

Jones need to go!
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Rosenthal on Jones: "Orioles have options with Jones"

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » February 16th, 2012, 12:53 pm

I am in the "trade Jones" camp.

I just think that the Orioles are in position to get young talent back, that is going to help us in the future. Jones might honestly help the Orioles get to .500 and that is it. It may break a ton of fans' hearts, but I think it should be done if the right deal is offered.

I don't want them to sign him to an extension and have him become the next Brian Roberts, or Nick Markakis.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » February 16th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Here is an earlier string with 193 posts regarding whether Jones should be traded. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=539

I thought Jones should have been traded during the winter but the market for him may open up even more over the next six weeks. There are at least four NL teams that need a CF (Atlanta, Miami, San Francisco, and Washington) that think they are legitimate playoff teams this year. All of them have enough quality prospects to make a trade with us a win = win possibility.

I think that the decision to keep Jones or trade him comes down to how you evaluate him. If he's an impact player you pay the price to sign him. If he's a complementary player you convert him into future wins. I see him as a complementary player that has enough untapped potential at a premium position to bring a substantial return. That makes the decision to trade him as an easy one.

I would not be surprised to see him moved before opening day.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by osforlife » February 16th, 2012, 3:30 pm

ofahn wrote:Here is an earlier string with 193 posts regarding whether Jones should be traded. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=539

I thought Jones should have been traded during the winter but the market for him may open up even more over the next six weeks. There are at least four NL teams that need a CF (Atlanta, Miami, San Francisco, and Washington) that think they are legitimate playoff teams this year.

I never quite understood the Jones trade talks with Atlanta. Don't the braves have Michael Bourn?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by ofahn » February 16th, 2012, 3:36 pm

osforlife wrote:I never quite understood the Jones trade talks with Atlanta. Don't the braves have Michael Bourn?

The Braves would use him in LF.

This trade makes sense for Atlanta. They need a bat and they would prefer it to be RH. Also, Bourn will be a free agent after the season so the Jones would give them some security for 2013 along with a legitimate CF if Bourn leaves.

As long as Atlanta doesn't give up any key pieces for their 2012 team in a trade for Jones, making this deal could make a big difference for them.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by osforlife » February 16th, 2012, 6:47 pm

ofahn wrote:
osforlife wrote:I never quite understood the Jones trade talks with Atlanta. Don't the braves have Michael Bourn?

The Braves would use him in LF.

This trade makes sense for Atlanta. They need a bat and they would prefer it to be RH. Also, Bourn will be a free agent after the season so the Jones would give them some security for 2013 along with a legitimate CF if Bourn leaves.

As long as Atlanta doesn't give up any key pieces for their 2012 team in a trade for Jones, making this deal could make a big difference for them.

oh okay, thanks.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » February 16th, 2012, 8:43 pm

I predict Jones is moved by June if he doesn't sign an extension. DD doesn't seem bashful (in the case of Guthrie) moving pieces that don't fit here long term 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles