Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Brandon Snyder vs Joe Mahoney vs Tyler Townsend

Brandon Snyder vs Joe Mahoney vs Tyler Townsend

PostPost #1 by ZBall2131 » October 1st, 2010, 9:13 am

I go back and forth on this, but who is the Orioles first-baseman of the future?

My gut tells me that it's none of these guys, and the long-term answer will come from outside the organization, or maybe a new draft pick, but out of the guys that the O's have in the pipeline, who is the best and has the best shot to hold down first for the next three-to-five years.

I like Snyder, but he just doesn't seem to have that much offensive potential. I envision him as a .260-.275 hitter with 10-15 homers at the big league level, hardly the big power presence the Orioles lack.

Joe Mahoney on the other hand, seems to offer more power than anyone not named Brandon Waring in the system. It looks like he's finally figured out wooden bats, and he's definitely got the power-hitting body to go with his prodigious raw power. The real question is will he even hit for a decent average?

The guy I'm higher on than the rest, I think, is Tyler Townsend. He always hit for average at Florida International, including a school-record .434 in 2009. He got off to a rough start, enduring a couple of injuries, but when he was healthy he raked at Delmarva, and looked pretty good at Frederick. He hit for pretty good power during his last two years at FIU, and from what I've seen he plays pretty solid defense. He only made five errors this season in 450 total chances.

I think of the three, he offers the best all-around package of decent bat, good power, and solid defense.
ZBall2131
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Brandon Snyder vs Joe Mahoney vs Tyler Townsend

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2010, 2:25 pm

I'm highest on Townsend, too. He was never injured in college so I'd suspect we'll see these hamstring problems fade away soon. I want to see him put up good numbers over a longer period of time, but if he does he's definitely way above Snyder and Mahoney for me.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by DougDE » October 1st, 2010, 3:07 pm

Id like to see Townsend make it just for the fact that he's a local guy, kinda. He played his highschool ball down in Lewes DE, which for anyone who might not know, is just north of Ocean City and Rehobeth. It doesnt make a bit of difference in the win column but its neat to see local/regional guys wearing an O's uniform
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » October 1st, 2010, 9:35 pm

I too would say Townsend has the best shot long term. Mahoney had an outstanding season, but I think you've seen his high point. I love the discipline Townsend has at the plate and the way he drives the ball.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by BuckMagic » October 2nd, 2010, 9:35 pm

So did Mahoney have a breakout year that is also supposed to be his peak year?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Minor Leagues