Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Law and Goldstein Orioles Top 100 Prospects

Law and Goldstein Orioles Top 100 Prospects

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » February 13th, 2012, 10:47 am

Law:

#4 Manny Machado
#11 Dylan Bundy
#56 Jonathan Schoop

Goldstein:

#6 Dylan Bundy
#8 Manny Machado
#85 Jonathan Schoop

A few things stick out to me:

-KG presumably has Machado lower because he does not think he sticks at SS. I get that impression from listening to his podcast. He still loves him obviously, but I think that probably factored in.
-Goldstein loves Dylan Bundy
-Law loves Schoop, perhaps more than any other person who is not an Orioles fan. By far the highest rating of him. I agree with KG's assessment and ranking of Schoop more.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Law and Goldstein Orioles Top 100 Prospects

PostPost #2 by ofahn » February 13th, 2012, 2:03 pm

What strikes me most about these rankings is that Machado and Bundy are there PRIMARILY because of their draft ranking, and not because of any development on the part of the team. You could argue that Schoop is a development success, but I see him as a talent that's developing DESPITE our "development program", not because of it.

There's a lot of talent in our organization that has yet to be properly instructed or prepared. I honestly think that next year's ranking will be substantially different as some of these kids are FINALLY brought along the right way.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Zach » February 13th, 2012, 10:02 pm

I think that Machado held his own last year and deserves the ranking on more than just his draft ranking. He was an 18 year old kid holding his own in high A ball. Bundy you can make the argument about draft rankings, but the Orioles also have not had the chance yet to develop him so that can't be held against them already.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by ofahn » February 13th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Zach wrote:I think that Machado held his own last year and deserves the ranking on more than just his draft ranking. He was an 18 year old kid holding his own in high A ball. Bundy you can make the argument about draft rankings, but the Orioles also have not had the chance yet to develop him so that can't be held against them already.

That's why I qualified my statement with primarily. No arguments that Machado earned some respect by reaching Frederick at his age BUT if he had been any other prospect his numbers would not have him in the top 10.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Zach » February 13th, 2012, 11:01 pm

Not many 18 year olds could put up those numbers in high a ball. plus you have to look at the overall package. These aren't the 100 best players right now, but rather the 100 best prospects. He is a ss, a valuable commodity who has been very impressive in his brief career. His potential is through the roof. He isn't just any other prospect and that is why he is on that list...
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » February 14th, 2012, 5:24 pm

I listen to "Up and In" podcast as well, I seem to recall Machado sticking at SS being 50/50. Realistically his value plummets if he shifts to 3rd base at some point though he should still be a solid bat for the position. It would hardly be shocking if the team decides to draft a top SS this season because of it too. I also would be disappointed, but depth up the middle is too important to ignore.

As for Dylan Bundy, I do not know that it's completely draft status that he's so well thought of. Every scouting report on the internet regarding him makes you excited. The good news is in a few short months we will have seen something of him professionally to judge him on.

Lastly for Jonathan Schoop, the team needs him at one position. Not moving him around based on who else they have. If he can excel at 2B then that is outstanding! So far it's one great season, not a success story yet.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by ofahn » February 14th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:As for Dylan Bundy, I do not know that it's completely draft status that he's so well thought of. Every scouting report on the internet regarding him makes you excited. The good news is in a few short months we will have seen something of him professionally to judge him on.

My point was that Bundy is rated in the top ten DESPITE never having thrown a professional pitch. That's undeniable and is PRIMARILY based upon reputation and skill set.

I just hope that he is rated that high or higher after his first season. The we will REALLY have something to be excited about.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues