Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chen and Wada "'contractually' figure to be in rotation"

Re: Chen and Wada "'contractually' figure to be in rotation"

PostPost #16 by ofahn » February 8th, 2012, 2:29 pm

A_K wrote:I agree that there's no combination of 25 players that will make us relevant this year. That's why I believe our outlook should be on what will make us relevant 2-3 years into the future. I didn't in any way mean to sound combative about how one could rationally think sending Matusz/Britton/Arrieta to the minors would be beneficial for the team. I was just saying that the logical extension of a) the group of veterans being irrelevant filler with no upside, and b) the team being destined for a last place finish means c) the only way supporting a) makes any sense is if you believe the young kids can still improve in the minors. If that's what you think-- and like I said, I recognize that it is an entirely reasonable opinion-- then the offseason acquisitions certainly make a lot of sense. Since I personally don't think Matusz/Britton/Arrieta have any reason to pitch in the minors anymore, the moves make very little sense to me.

My initial post merely meant to isolate the primary point of contention: whether the young pitchers have any improvement left to make in the minors. Everything else, I presume, are things we agree upon.

I didn't see it as combative. I think sometimes we agree on an issue but from differing points of view. Frankly, I enjoy reading your posts because I always see some thread of logic in them. I don't always agree with your POV but I come away re evaluating my own POV and remember that, sometimes when you come to a fork in the road, both ways will get you where you want to go.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by thezeroes » February 8th, 2012, 9:46 pm

To rationalize the move of Matusz and Arrieta to the Minors is that both are coming off Injuries.

To rationalize Britton headed down for 6 to 8 weeks is the Arbitration Clock and Super Two Status ($$$)

To rationalize sending Tillman down would be his inability to get past five innings without using 100 pitches. Its just to many Balls and Walks to play at the MLB Level.

Bergesen has an option remaining because of his injury two years ago when he hurt his leg and did the stupid MASN thing. Is he better than Hunter, Chen, Hammel, Wada, Eveland or just another 4/5 starter???

If Dan Duquette feels the players he has traded for or signed are capable of being "Place-holders" until the aforementioned players prove the ability to stay when recalled from AAA and remain on the 25 Man Roster for years to come, then I will go with that.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #18 by Matt P » February 8th, 2012, 11:02 pm

Why would one need to rationalize sending Matusz to the minors by using his injury as an excuse? He was the worst pitcher of all time last season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #19 by thezeroes » February 9th, 2012, 7:44 pm

The rational was in reference to Matusz being comparable statistically to Hunter, Chen, Hammel, Wada, and Eveland during spring training then because of the injury issue, which also brought about "He was the worst pitcher of all time last season", then send him to AAA.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles