Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Former players on radio

Former players on radio

PostPost #1 by DougDE » September 22nd, 2010, 11:50 pm

I have to listen to the weeknight games on the radio while at work and I just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed when they've had the former players guest commentating. Ben McDonald was on again tonight and he was really enjoyable as were the others, including Eddie Murray, Mike Boddicker, and Brady Anderson. I am no fan of Joe Angel and could take or leave Fred Manfra. I would love it if they would hire any combination of the players listed above as the full time play by play men. Or even just have 1 of them on for all the games. They really added to the radio experience.
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Former players on radio

PostPost #2 by BuckMagic » September 23rd, 2010, 9:42 pm

DougDE wrote:I have to listen to the weeknight games on the radio while at work and I just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed when they've had the former players guest commentating. Ben McDonald was on again tonight and he was really enjoyable as were the others, including Eddie Murray, Mike Boddicker, and Brady Anderson. I am no fan of Joe Angel and could take or leave Fred Manfra. I would love it if they would hire any combination of the players listed above as the full time play by play men. Or even just have 1 of them on for all the games. They really added to the radio experience.

Couldn't agree more. Some of the players you mentioned above occasionally broadcast a game on MASN and they bring a lot to the booth. Anderson breaks down a lot of swings and I come away with a lot more knowledge than when Gary Thorne is in the booth.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by Don » September 24th, 2010, 9:37 am

I have known Ben for a long time. On a personal level, this guy is Southern style friendly to everyone. The classic Good Old Boy. I wish they allowed him more play by play airtime in the booth, but Gary Thorne is one of the better guys in the buisness and his voice simply takes over.

It was a nice touch this season to see the older Orioles rotate the 3rd man color commentator. I especially took notice that none were true "homers", but fair and honest.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by allstar1579 » September 24th, 2010, 10:42 am

Don wrote:I have known Ben for a long time. On a personal level, this guy is Southern style friendly to everyone. The classic Good Old Boy. I wish they allowed him more play by play airtime in the booth, but Gary Thorne is one of the better guys in the buisness and his voice simply takes over.

It was a nice touch this season to see the older Orioles rotate the 3rd man color commentator. I especially took notice that none were true "homers", but fair and honest.

Love hearing that about Ben, he was my favorite O for years. Don't agree about Thorne though. He is a hockey guy, he is still learning baseball, and it shows in his coverage, when he tries to explain why people are doing certain things and he has NO idea what he is talking about.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Don » September 24th, 2010, 11:25 am

I am simply refering to his voice and command in any booth. He has a bit of John Miller command. He is one of my two favorite hockey play-by-play guys, the other one being Joe Beninati.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Traveldawg69 » September 27th, 2010, 9:11 pm

I enjoyed Ben on the broadcasts this year....although I lost my butt buying every Ben rookie card I could get my hands on years ago...lol

On the other hand, I really had a hard time listening to Brady. I'm not sure what it was, but he was difficult for me.
Traveldawg69
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles