Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What Move Would Grind Your Gears The Most?

What Move Would Grind Your Gears The Most?

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » February 1st, 2012, 7:48 pm

What Orioles move would make you the angriest?

A trade?
A signing?
A demotion?

If I had to choose one thing as of now that would make me livid, I would choose this:

Not giving Nolan Reimold a chance in 2012.

It is now or never for Reimold, and it would shock me if they didn't let him prove his worth. I would be furious if they toyed with him again this season.

let me hear yours!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: What Move Would Grind Your Gears The Most?

PostPost #2 by thezeroes » February 1st, 2012, 8:35 pm

Nolan Reimold not getting 500 At Bats, if healthy is my first "Gear Grinder". I would immediately follow that with Chris Davis not getting 500 At Bats. If at First, Third or DH I think it would be in the Orioles best interest to see what they have with both Nolan and Chris.

Tommy Hunter should also get 25+ starts, if healthy. His stuff should play well in the AL East. His body type should garner a 200 Inning performance. To relegate him to the bullpen for the entire season or Norfolk would be a waste of his talent.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 2nd, 2012, 12:10 pm

Not just Reimold not getting a lot of at-bats, but if it's Chavez taking those at-bats away from him.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by ljmillar22 » February 2nd, 2012, 5:09 pm

Trading Wieters, seeing AJ having a shocking year only to hit FA and us not get anything for him, matusz taking another step back and britton having a bad year.
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by osforlife » February 2nd, 2012, 6:02 pm

Matusz making the rotation. Honestly, I don't care how well he does in Spring Training. ST stats mean basically nothing. Remember Jake Fox? Matusz was the worst qualifying pitcher in baseball history EVER. He needs to go to Norfolk, fix any mechanical problems he has, regain whatever confidence he has left, and FORCE HIS WAY UP. I would also be pretty p'oed if Reimold and Davis don't get 500 at-bats each not barring injuries unless they were doing Adam Dunn bad(exaggerating a little bit of course).
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by ofahn » February 3rd, 2012, 10:44 am

I agree with those readers that feel NOT giving Reimold and Davis at least 500 ABs this year would be a waste of a season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Why Not? » February 3rd, 2012, 10:59 am

I sorta share that sentiment about Reimold and Davis. But what if both are just horrific? If Reimold hovers at .200 through 200 ABs and continues to be a hack in LF and Chris Davis channels Garrett Atkins, can we just continue to trot them out there? For 500 ABs?

I like these guys' potential, but I think we have to be fully prepared for the possibility that they will never hit enough to stay in MLB. They both have to RAKE because neither contributes on defense.
Why Not?
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by ofahn » February 3rd, 2012, 11:01 am

Why Not? wrote:I sorta share that sentiment about Reimold and Davis. But what if both are just horrific? If Reimold hovers at .200 through 200 ABs and continues to be a hack in LF and Chris Davis channels Garrett Atkins, can we just continue to trot them out there? For 500 ABs?

I like these guys' potential, but I think we have to be fully prepared for the possibility that they will never hit enough to stay in MLB. They both have to RAKE because neither contributes on defense.

Take a look at Cal Ripken's and Nick Markakis' starts. I'm not comparing them to those players but a young guy needs to believe that he will be given an opportunity to show what he can do.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by Why Not? » February 3rd, 2012, 12:53 pm

Chris Davis has had 1000 MLB at-bats; Reimold 750. They've gotten a pretty good opportunity. Moreso than many players with similar minor league resumes.

I understand the comparison to Markakis and Ripken, but those two were significantly younger than Reimold/Davis. More importantly, if Reimold and Davis are really scuffling at the plate it's a disaster since they are so poor on defense. Even when they struggled at the outset, Cal and Markakis were positives on defense.

I agree they should get a good long look, but they need to prove something by midseason.
Why Not?
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » February 3rd, 2012, 1:59 pm

In my eyes, Reimold has SHOWN that he is very capable of taking it and running away with it.
The Orioles left a lot of AB away from him last season in my eyes. 175 AB to Pie was dreadful enough

Davis will need to earn more than Reimold in my opinion. Although he could end up getting more playing time due to the lack of 1B options the orioles have!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » February 3rd, 2012, 2:36 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:What Orioles move would make you the angriest?

A trade?
A signing?
A demotion?

If I had to choose one thing as of now that would make me livid, I would choose this:

Not giving Nolan Reimold a chance in 2012.

It is now or never for Reimold, and it would shock me if they didn't let him prove his worth. I would be furious if they toyed with him again this season.

let me hear yours!

I've been following the Orioles for 50 years. Nothing surprises me or upsets me too much anymore. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly and the last 14 years have been UGLY. I guess seeing Angelos leave by whatever means would make me do a backflip however :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #12 by Why Not? » February 3rd, 2012, 6:55 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:In my eyes, Reimold has SHOWN that he is very capable of taking it and running away with it.
The Orioles left a lot of AB away from him last season in my eyes. 175 AB to Pie was dreadful enough

Davis will need to earn more than Reimold in my opinion. Although he could end up getting more playing time due to the lack of 1B options the orioles have!

As bad as Pie was last year, Reimold was just as bad in 2010. I don't know what to make of Reimold, but I think there are couple of things we should remember. As a poor-fielding LF, he's got to hit significantly better than he has so far (even if you take away the injury-marred 2010) to be even an average LF. Secondly, he's in his prime RIGHT NOW, so I don't see him improving much.
Why Not?
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » February 3rd, 2012, 11:45 pm

Why Not? wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:In my eyes, Reimold has SHOWN that he is very capable of taking it and running away with it.

As bad as Pie was last year, Reimold was just as bad in 2010. I don't know what to make of Reimold, but I think there are couple of things we should remember.As a poor-fielding LF, he's got to hit significantly better than he has so far (even if you take away the injury-marred 2010) to be even an average LF. Secondly, he's in his prime RIGHT NOW, so I don't see him improving much.

I think that is why the orioles didnt play him as much. you nailed it with that comment.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #14 by jwmann2 » February 4th, 2012, 1:29 am

Trading Adam Jones. He's a spark plug in the outfield. The front office has made it clear that they won't be doing that but can you trust them? Never.
jwmann2
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Matt P » February 4th, 2012, 2:36 am

Signing a DH like a Damon, Matsui, or even re-signing Vlad.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles