Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2007 draft class - Best Ever for Orioles

2007 draft class - Best Ever for Orioles

PostPost #1 by Don » September 23rd, 2010, 10:32 am

There was a nice piece this morning from from Dan and Jeff in the Sun. It specifcially was highlighting the 2007 draft class and wondering out loud if it were the best draft from the Orioles.

Matt Wieters and Jake Arrieta are already up and look to be long term guys. Maybe neither become the All-Star's that were invisioned, but two locks of 10 year type players in one draft class is a huge WIN for Joe Jordan.

Joe Mahoney and Matt Angle could be situational role player at the very least. I think people are selling Mahoney short because of his size, athletism, drooling raw power tool could make him a strong power hitter. Both guys need to make another jump to be considered everyday type players. I remember people saying the same exact sentence for Brian Roberts and this turned out fairly well.

Brandon Cooney should be a lock for the 7th inning role one day. Say what you will, but this is high praise for an after thought 30th round selection.

Tim Bascom may not be the future starter I once thought in 2008, but he could be a long arm out of the pen and you never know. The talent is in his arm to be a back of the rotation guy. Still way too young to give up on his potential.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: 2007 draft class - Best Ever for Orioles

PostPost #2 by THECavalry » September 24th, 2010, 8:39 pm

What about the 2008 draft?

Brian Matusz struggled this year but should be a solid #2 going forward. Xavier Avery looks like a very good prospect in should be a starting CF someday, whether it's in an Orioles uniform or not is the only question. LJ Hoes looks like a guy who could play average defense at 2B and post .400 OBP% seasons.
THECavalry
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by DougDE » September 25th, 2010, 4:38 am

What were some previous drafts pre 2007 that they were comparing it to?
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Don » September 25th, 2010, 9:19 am

They really did not say, but off the top of my head I can think of three since 1975 that could make a running.

1978 Draft - This produced one hall of famer and two other pieces that were solid players for the Orioles in Larry Sheets and Mike Boddiker.

1988 Draft - It produced Gregg Olson and Arthur Rhodes for longer stints with Orioles and major leagues. Ricky Gutierrez was a AAAA vagabond for a number of teams and played until 2006 season. All first four picks at least made the majors and played extensively in minor roles.

1997 Draft - This would have been higher if the guys stayed with the Orioles, but at least the scouts were right about Jayson Werth and Darnell McDonald, it jsut took them to 30 to reach there potential. Matt Riley, Rick Bauer, and Jerry Hariston played multiple season with Orioles and other organizations.

I think 1978 in body of work is the best at this time. A HOF position player that changed the way baseball looks at larger, more athletic players of todays game. It also had a pitcher that was considered one of the better ones in his generation. If they find two guys that could be long term local stars or All-Stars and two or three others make in roads for the Orioles over years, the sheer number could make it a very good class. If Matt Wieters can turn into the player everone thinks and the class still produces, this is better than 1978 by a long shot. Catcher is one of the hardest positions to fill and to fill with a potential HOF player, he jumps to the top of the heap.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by DougDE » September 25th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Just goes to show what a crapshoot the baseball draft is. If you get 2 regulars out of a draft, that draft can be considered one of the better ones all time for a team.
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to MLB Draft