Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why is Zach Britton not considered a "lock" for the rotation?

Why is Zach Britton not considered a "lock" for the rotation?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 2nd, 2012, 12:03 pm

Because the Orioles have so many rotation options, there is a lot of discussion about which players already have a spot, regardless of what happens in ST.

Something I've been wondering is why Zach Britton isn't being considered a lock for the rotation. From Roch's blog today:
Unless there's a trade, three spots in the rotation should go to Hunter, Jeremy Guthrie and Wei-Yin Chen.

After his performance last year, I think it's fair to say that Britton is 100% opening 2012 in the rotation assuming he's healthy.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Why is Zach Britton not considered a "lock" for the rotation?

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » February 2nd, 2012, 12:09 pm

I think we talked about this before, but the Orioles are probably telling EVERY young pitcher that there are no locks. They want the competition to be fierce and by saying that not one person is a lock (besides Guthrie/Chen obviously), it will make each pitcher work that much harder.

I agree with Guthrie/Chen/Hunter being locks essentially. I also agree with Britton essentially being a lock as well.
But it's good to have an open competition (at least in the players eyes).

I am pretty excited to see how this unfolds
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by Don » February 2nd, 2012, 12:11 pm

Jordan...I do not think you want to hand the keys over to anyone that has logged less than 200 innings in his young career. He needs to show that he can adjust once hitters finally get a read on him and an off-season worth of scouting reports that can be digested by ball clubs.

I hope he pulls another pitch out of his pocket to lean on other than the sinking 2S. He goes a bit too heavy that guys will start to lay off, even if he locates it in the zone. If this happened this winter, he can establish himself in the rotation, but I would agree that he must "earn" it.

It is good to keep the hunger and fire burning in the belly.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 2nd, 2012, 1:00 pm

I can understand Britton not being a lock from an organization standpoint. But, to a fan, Britton should be a lock.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » February 2nd, 2012, 3:50 pm

Britton is a lock. This talk is utterly foolish. The only questionmark in the rotation is at #5

The rotation; Guthrie, Chen, Britton, Arrieta, Hunter (to pen or starting staff??) Wild card: Matusz... 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Zach » February 2nd, 2012, 5:11 pm

I don't understand why Hunter should be considered a lock over Britton. Outside of Guthrie and Chen I don't think a rotation spot should be guaranteed to anyone. Some could be favorites to be in the rotation along with them, but the environment of competition is something that needs to be instilled in this organizations so we don't have any more cases like Matusz last year.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » February 2nd, 2012, 5:14 pm

Zach wrote:I don't understand why Hunter should be considered a lock over Britton. Outside of Guthrie and Chen I don't think a rotation spot should be guaranteed to anyone. Some could be favorites to be in the rotation along with them, but the environment of competition is something that needs to be instilled in this organizations so we don't have any more cases like Matusz last year.

The only reason I say he is a lock, is because Buck seems to be obsessed/love him, kind of like he is with Andino.
I agree with the general consensus that there should be no favorites, but we all pretty much know that they probably have some.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by Zach » February 2nd, 2012, 5:30 pm

No I understand. That was more venting frustration with the organization and Buck on that one. The complacent strategy of this organization is infuriating.
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » February 2nd, 2012, 5:32 pm

Zach wrote:No I understand. That was more venting frustration with the organization and Buck on that one. The complacent strategy of this organization is infuriating.

haha I understand.
I will refrain from total judgment until we really see how it unfolds, but like you said, it should be a total competition for every spot. Only Guthrie has truly earned anything
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by Matt P » February 3rd, 2012, 2:38 am

I'm one of the few that really likes Hunter and thinks he should be a favorite for a rotation spot. I wouldn't call him a lock or anything of that nature but I do think he should be the 3rd highest favorite after Guthrie and Chen. Also, from hearing Duquette talk about Wada since they signed him it seems like he really likes the guy. I wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at him to start the year in the rotation.

I don't know why but I have this feeling that Duquette wants all of the young pitchers to start in the minors and get some time in with his development staff. I really wouldn't be shocked if we start the season with a rotation of Guthrie, Chen, Hunter, Wada, Eveland or one of the other "depth" guys. I know it sounds crazy but it might be better for the franchise in the long run.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #11 by Zach » February 3rd, 2012, 9:12 am

Some of these prospects have proved themselves beyond a doubt at the AAA level and will learn and develop more at the Major League level. I think that Britton is one of those prospects. A pitching coach is supposed to help with the development at the Major League level. Development shouldn't be something that stops upon promotion to the big club.
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by ofahn » February 3rd, 2012, 10:36 am

Matt P wrote:I don't know why but I have this feeling that Duquette wants all of the young pitchers to start in the minors and get some time in with his development staff. I really wouldn't be shocked if we start the season with a rotation of Guthrie, Chen, Hunter, Wada, Eveland or one of the other "depth" guys.

I feel the same way and suggested exactly that in another post. Having Wada and Eveland pitch so well that the team feels comfortable breaking camp with them would only boost the level of talent on this team. As the younger pitchers at AAA convince the FO that they are ready to return to the majors we can trade Eveland for a modest return and Guthrie for a solid return. IMO part of any Guthrie trade should include a ML ready pitcher with remaining options that can placed at AAA. This team has little pitching depth at AA that's not at least two years away from the majors.

Wada may show he's a really a ML reliever which opens another spot in the rotation.

All of this would force Britton, Arrieta, Matusz, and Tillman to EARN their return to the majors. Maybe they will develop a whole new respect for that opportunity.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #13 by Zach » February 6th, 2012, 10:39 am

Does this move make Britton a lock for the rotation? Hammel should be viewed as a downgrade from Guthrie.
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by ofahn » February 6th, 2012, 10:52 am

Zach wrote:Does this move make Britton a lock for the rotation? Hammel should be viewed as a downgrade from Guthrie.

I think Hammel takes Guthrie's spot in the rotation unless he collapses in the spring exhibition games. I also think the team is planning on giving Wada a chance to prove he is or isn't a starter. That probably leaves Britton in AAA to start the year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #15 by osforlife » February 6th, 2012, 4:03 pm

ofahn wrote:
Zach wrote:Does this move make Britton a lock for the rotation? Hammel should be viewed as a downgrade from Guthrie.

I think Hammel takes Guthrie's spot in the rotation unless he collapses in the spring exhibition games. I also think the team is planning on giving Wada a chance to prove he is or isn't a starter. That probably leaves Britton in AAA to start the year.

I don't think this trade really effects Britton's chances of making the rotation as much as some people will think. I still think the rotation will come down to Chen-Hammel-Hunter-Britton/Arrieta/Wada.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles