Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Players Who Are Out Of Options

Orioles Players Who Are Out Of Options

PostPost #1 by ofahn » February 1st, 2012, 3:25 pm

MLB Trade Rumors has published the following list of Orioles who are out of options. Which ones do you see making the team and which players that won't do you see passing through waivers and accepting an assignment to AAA. Please explain why.

Robert Andino, Chris Davis, Dana Eveland, Jim Johnson, Jai Miller, Troy Patton, Clay Rapada, Nolan Reimold, Alfredo Simon, Pedro Strop, and Taylor Teagarden.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Players Who Are Out Of Options

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » February 1st, 2012, 3:34 pm

Make Team:

Andino- Obviously he either plays 2nd or is the UTIL guy.
Davis- Current DH or 1st option for the Orioles
Eveland- I think he makes the club as the long man. They did give up an actual prospect for him so it's probably forced.
Johnson- Duh
Patton- He most likely makes the team as a Long man/middle reliever
Reimold- another Duh, but I think he easily makes the club and takes over LF.
Simon- His arm is too good to let go. He makes the club in my opinion or is traded if not.
Strop- Same as Simon, although I doubt they trade him even if he struggles a little. I am high on Strop
Teagarden- They traded for him to be the backup C, they won't get rid of him just like that.

Do Not Make Team:

Jai Miller- I want him to make the team, but as of now I think he has a tough shot with the current roster outlook. Chavez is the 4th OF essentially, and you still have Betemit/Davis, Teagarden and probably Antonelli on the bench.
Rapada- I just think he is out of luck. There is a lot of competition this season and what help is a LOOGY when your SP can't get past 6 innings.

This is with the current roster. Maybe a guy like Patton or Eveland get bumped if another trade or pickup happens. Also guys like Neshek, or a SP converting to RP, could force them out.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by ofahn » February 1st, 2012, 5:02 pm

Make Team:

Andino- Obviously he either plays 2nd or is the UTIL guy. AGREED
Davis- Current DH or 1st option for the Orioles AGREED
Eveland- If he has a good spring I can see him bumping one of the kids back to AAA. If he pitches well but one of the kids pitches so well that he forces himself into the rotation I can see Eveland traded for a prospect.
Johnson- Duh AGREED
Patton- He most likely makes the team as a Long man/middle reliever AGREED
Reimold- another Duh, but I think he easily makes the club and takes over LF. AGREED
Simon- His arm is too good to let go. He makes the club in my opinion or is traded if not. AGREED - probably as a short guy.
Strop- Same as Simon, although I doubt they trade him even if he struggles a little. I am high on Strop AGREED - I think he becomes a dominant short guy and see him as a potential closer. This is EXACTLY the kind of guy that Tampa and San Diego constantly build their effective bullpens around.
Teagarden- They traded for him to be the backup C, they won't get rid of him just like that. AGREED

Do Not Make Team:

Jai Miller- I want him to make the team, but as of now I think he has a tough shot with the current roster outlook. Chavez is the 4th OF essentially, and you still have Betemit/Davis, Teagarden and probably Antonelli on the bench. AGREED

Rapada- I just think he is out of luck. There is a lot of competition this season and what help is a LOOGY when your SP can't get past 6 innings. AGREED - I can see him as being traded for a prospect. Phillips may end up being the late inning lefty.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 1st, 2012, 5:07 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Make Team:

Andino- Obviously he either plays 2nd or is the UTIL guy.
Davis- Current DH or 1st option for the Orioles
Eveland- I think he makes the club as the long man. They did give up an actual prospect for him so it's probably forced.
Johnson- Duh
Patton- He most likely makes the team as a Long man/middle reliever
Reimold- another Duh, but I think he easily makes the club and takes over LF.
Simon- His arm is too good to let go. He makes the club in my opinion or is traded if not.
Strop- Same as Simon, although I doubt they trade him even if he struggles a little. I am high on Strop
Teagarden- They traded for him to be the backup C, they won't get rid of him just like that.

Do Not Make Team:

Jai Miller- I want him to make the team, but as of now I think he has a tough shot with the current roster outlook. Chavez is the 4th OF essentially, and you still have Betemit/Davis, Teagarden and probably Antonelli on the bench.
Rapada- I just think he is out of luck. There is a lot of competition this season and what help is a LOOGY when your SP can't get past 6 innings.

This is with the current roster. Maybe a guy like Patton or Eveland get bumped if another trade or pickup happens. Also guys like Neshek, or a SP converting to RP, could force them out.

Completely agree with all of this.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Zach » February 1st, 2012, 5:17 pm

It is time for Rapada to finally go. He has proven he just doesn't belong at the major league level
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by osforlife » February 1st, 2012, 5:56 pm

Andino as second base or utility guy.
Davis as 1st basmen.
I don't think Eveland makes the team which is pretty weird since we gave up two prospects for him.
Jm Johnson as the closer.
They say Markakis will be ready by opening day, but if he isn't, I don't think Miller is gonna let his roster spot go.
Patton as long relief along with Wada.
LOOGY will be a battle between Phillips and Rapada, I think their chances will come down to if the O's are going to have a 7 or 8 man bullpen.
Reimold as left fielder.
Simon and Strop will be a shutdown 7th and 8th inning combo.
Teagarden as back-up.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #7 by ofahn » February 1st, 2012, 6:40 pm

osforlife wrote:I think their chances will come down to if the O's are going to have a 7 or 8 man bullpen.

I'm just amazed that we even need to consider such a travesty. If our starters could average just five and two thirds innings a start it would equal about 925 innings for the season out of the normal 1450. That leaves 525 for one long guy (about 125), four short guys (about 85 each), and a closer for the last 60. That's the way bullpens USED to be set up. Eleven pitchers with the relievers pitching as much as three innings an appearance. If they are in good shape and don't take everyone to a 3 and 2 count (sound like anyone you know?) then 85 innings is not a stretch.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by CSPitt17130 » February 1st, 2012, 6:55 pm

Zach wrote:It is time for Rapada to finally go. He has proven he just doesn't belong at the major league level

That's a pretty broad statement. On a team that can afford to have a LOOGY in their bullpen, Rapada would be fine in that role. He was dominant against lefties. He just shouldn't ever be asked to face a righty.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » February 1st, 2012, 6:57 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:
Zach wrote:It is time for Rapada to finally go. He has proven he just doesn't belong at the major league level

That's a pretty broad statement. On a team that can afford to have a LOOGY in their bullpen, Rapada would be fine in that role. He was dominant against lefties. He just shouldn't ever be asked to face a righty.

I think he could be a trade piece if he doesn't make the club. I mean, the Orioles got Rick Vandenhurkfor Will Ohman, who was pretty much the same thing (a little better and more polished though)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

Return to Baltimore Orioles