Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Anderson: Matusz is 'a different human'

Anderson: Matusz is 'a different human'

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » January 29th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Some very encouraging Matusz updates: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-0 ... lete-train


I am thinking his velocity and mind will be back after reading that.

Orioles Hall of Famer Brady Anderson, making his first appearance since being appointed special assistant to executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette, said today at FanFest that the difference between Brian Matusz a year ago at this time and Brian Matusz today is the difference between night and day."He's like a different human as far as his mentality and his dedication and the raw numbers, what type of athlete he is, he's not the same,'' Anderson said of the left-hander.By most accounts, Matusz arrived at spring training last year in less than optimum condition and started the season on the disabled list with an intercostal strain. He never really recovered and ended up back in the minor leagues for part of the season. Clearly, his confidence was bruised and he never really recovered the velocity or command he exhibited during a 7-1 finish in 2010.Anderson said that getting the conditioning back on track also will help Matusz get back into a winning frame of mind."That's one of the additional benefits. When they are not prepared, they know it. When you're not performing because you're not prepared, mentally, it's a drag. So that's another thing. We call it 'spiraling ever-downward,' and that's one of the things you take care of when you condition, when you train, when you feel strong. Also, if you're not strong mechanically, you're going to break down. Think about what they do for a living. Think about what pro athletes do for a living. You can't do average things and expect to be extraordinary.""You're asking a guy who's 6-2, 190 pounds who throws the ball 190 miles per hour. You're talking about very, very elite people and you train like an elite athlete."
User avatar
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 323
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Anderson: Matusz is 'a different human'

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 29th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Thank you for posting that.

I'm both amazed and disgusted that Matusz was allowed to reach the majors without being in proper shape.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Anderson: Matusz is 'a different human'

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » January 29th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Nothing would make more excited than seeing a fully prepped and healthy Matusz this season.
I hope he comes into camp and proves all doubters wrong. He has the ability to do so. Let's hope he worked at it this off-season
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Anderson: Matusz is 'a different human'

PostPost #4 by Matt P » January 29th, 2012, 11:50 pm

Hopefully he is a different pitcher than last year.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Anderson: Matusz is 'a different human'

PostPost #5 by Mike B » January 30th, 2012, 8:34 am

I know many are down on Matusz, but he is a talented guy who everything went wrong for last year. I expect him to start in Norfolk but force his way up. Sounds like Brady has him in shape. Hopefully, they allow him to be the guy who we drafted. I think if his velocity sits around 91 or so on the fastball he will re-establish the change as his out pitch and be fine. A change at 83 is useless if your fastball sits at 87
Mike B
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 6
Joined: December 2011
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Anderson: Matusz is 'a different human'

PostPost #6 by ofahn » January 30th, 2012, 11:23 am

Mike B wrote:I know many are down on Matusz, but he is a talented guy who everything went wrong for last year. I expect him to start in Norfolk but force his way up. Sounds like Brady has him in shape. Hopefully, they allow him to be the guy who we drafted. I think if his velocity sits around 91 or so on the fastball he will re-establish the change as his out pitch and be fine. A change at 83 is useless if your fastball sits at 87


I agree with everything you said BUT....good pitchers learn how to adjust when they don't have their best stuff. I think that Matusz could stand some education.

IMO it would be in the best interests of the team and the players if ALL of our young pitchers started out the year at AAA. Maybe they can get the developmental skills that they obviously haven't had so far.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Anderson: Matusz is 'a different human'

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » February 1st, 2012, 2:19 pm

Not to poke a hole in this balloon but realistically can you put much stock into what Brady Anderson is saying with his questionable PED background??? To go further, I'm not sure this is the kind of guy I would want to direct my top prospects to in an effort to get bigger, stronger and in better shape. Watch out for those power shakes LOL :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Anderson: Matusz is 'a different human'

PostPost #8 by Tucker Blair » February 1st, 2012, 3:18 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Not to poke a hole in this balloon but realistically can you put much stock into what Brady Anderson is saying with his questionable PED background??? To go further, I'm not sure this is the kind of guy I would want to direct my top prospects to in an effort to get bigger, stronger and in better shape. Watch out for those power shakes LOL :lol:


Say what you want about Brady, but he was one of the hardest working players during his time.
Even if he did use PED, I am going to take the assumption that he is not dumb enough to taint young players.

Brady joining the club (technically last year) is only an added plus
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Anderson: Matusz is 'a different human'

PostPost #9 by ofahn » February 1st, 2012, 3:30 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:Not to poke a hole in this balloon but realistically can you put much stock into what Brady Anderson is saying with his questionable PED background??? To go further, I'm not sure this is the kind of guy I would want to direct my top prospects to in an effort to get bigger, stronger and in better shape. Watch out for those power shakes LOL :lol:


Say what you want about Brady, but he was one of the hardest working players during his time.
Even if he did use PED, I am going to take the assumption that he is not dumb enough to taint young players.

Brady joining the club (technically last year) is only an added plus


I was just getting ready to post about the same thing when you beat me to it.

Birdwatcher, what makes you believe Brady used PEDs? He was an OBSESSIVE workout fanatic during his entire professional career. His ripped body didn't just show up one spring like so many other. In fact, I remember somewhere reading that he felt his weight lifting had hurt him during his early career and he had to learn the hard way which exercises were beneficial for baseball activities and which ones weren't.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron