Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

do we want Edwin Jackson?

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #16 by ofahn » January 29th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Rising O's wrote:He won't come here but we have done a lot worse than him over the decade.


I'm not criticizing what you said but I would hope we have moved beyond using the "we've done a lot worse" standard for our future moves.

Rising O's wrote:It should open a clear path to trading Guthrie.


I think we have already gotten to that point without Guthrie and could far surpass it if we traded for Burnett at 5M a year. Let's face it; the ONLY reason Guthrie should be part of this team this year is that he is a proven innings eater and will provide some stability. We could trade for/sign another innings eater and get a decent return for Guthrie that could be part of a winning 2014 team and beyond.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #17 by EddieEddieEddie » January 29th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Of course we want Edwin Jackson. He's a better pitcher than what we have.

A lack of quality pitching is was has ailed this franchise for the last 2 decades. Compare the rotations of good past Orioles teams versus the recent teams. Dominant starting pitching wins championships. The starting pitcher is the most important player on the field with the most impact on whether the team wins or loses that day.

The O's stunk last year because of the terrible pitchers they ran out there and the retreads were really thin at the end of the year. Everyone knows this and if the front office and ignores this fact then there is truly no hope for the team or the fans. Our offense scored some runs last year but even the Yankees would have been double digits under 500 with our pitching staff. Talk all you want about whether Betemit is an upgrade over Vlad. I hardly matters compared to an upgrade of Simon or JoJo to Jackson.

Here is what we learn from playing and watching baseball over the years - The keys to success are dominating pitching, consistent defense, ability to get men on base, situational hitting, power and speed. You have to build from the pitching base.

The Edwin Jackson situation is a litmus test of the organization. The fans know how bad the pitching is. The org knows the fans know. What they do tells us about their commitment to the fans. They have a beautiful opportunity to make a statement to the fans and the rest of the team that they are committed to building a winner and winning back a dormant fan base.

Signing this guy is not going to break the bank or even the budget. It's not like signing Fielder or Cole Hamels. But it says the org does have someone smart enough to recognize the true needs of the team and the org has the brains to recognize decent risk/reward odds.

I believe that there is bottled-up enthusiasm for the O's in the region. Look at the way the Ravens are currently supported. This fan base is also the Orioles' fan base. Give that fan base some respect and a glimmer of hope and they will flood back and reverse the downward spiral of support (attendance, sales, revenue). I wonder, how many additional fans/game are needed to pay for Mr. Jackson's contract? I wonder if the O's have even calculated it.
EddieEddieEddie
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 2
Joined: December 2011
Reputation Score: 0

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #18 by ofahn » January 29th, 2012, 4:58 pm

EddieEddieEddie wrote:He's a better pitcher than what we have.


I disagree with that. IMO he's no better than Jeremy Guthrie and may perform worse than Guts in the AL East.

I also feel we have better TALENT in Britton, Arrieta, and Matusz. The fact that the development of those players has been botched horribly does not diminish their talent. Edwin Jackson is an overpriced mediocre talent and the rest of baseball knows it or he wouldn't still be on the market on January 29th.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » January 29th, 2012, 5:39 pm

I would be shocked if Jackson signs here. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #20 by Matt P » January 29th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Yeah, let's use the stats from 06-08 to judge how a pitcher currently is and will be in the future ... wow.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #21 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 29th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Matt P wrote:Yeah, let's use the stats from 06-08 to judge how a pitcher currently is and will be in the future ... wow.

He's simply putting out those numbers because they are from his time in the AL East. I don't think he's saying that's exactly what to expect or that he hasn't improved since then.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #22 by birdwatcher55 » February 1st, 2012, 2:22 pm

He wants four years from what I am reading. Most if not all teams are balking but I still think when push comes to shove, someone is going to cave in to his demands and either give him four years or a lot more money than is on the table for three... 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #23 by Zach » February 1st, 2012, 2:34 pm

Rumors actually seem to be saying that he will get a one-year deal rather than the multi-year deal he and Boras had desired.
Zach
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 227
Joined: June 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #24 by Tucker Blair » February 1st, 2012, 3:16 pm

Zach wrote:Rumors actually seem to be saying that he will get a one-year deal rather than the multi-year deal he and Boras had desired.

Which probably means that he has little chance at being on the Orioles.
They probably see no reason to sign him on a 1yr deal. I would have to agree.
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1601
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #25 by ofahn » February 1st, 2012, 3:34 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Zach wrote:Rumors actually seem to be saying that he will get a one-year deal rather than the multi-year deal he and Boras had desired.

Which probably means that he has little chance at being on the Orioles.
They probably see no reason to sign him on a 1yr deal. I would have to agree.


I doubt that Scot Boras would expose him to the AL East on a one year deal to "build value". Even if he would consider the Orioles for a one year contract Boras would INSIST on a no trade contract because the primary reason the Os would consider him for just one year would be to trade him in July.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #26 by jwmann2 » February 4th, 2012, 1:32 am

His numbers weren't overwhelming but the Yankees were seeking him out. That should tell you something. Great pitchers are hard to find in this league. Not too many Halladays and Oswalt's.
jwmann2
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 4
Joined: February 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Reputation Score: 0



Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #27 by Matt P » February 4th, 2012, 2:37 am

Supposedly he turned down a 3 year / 30 million offer because the team wasn't a contender. I wonder what team that was.

Natinals now have three starters better than any of ours, I hope Peter is happy.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #28 by Rising O's » February 5th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Signs with the Nationals...on a one year deal. That's a steal for them.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 993
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #29 by Zach » February 6th, 2012, 8:51 am

If we were going to get him I would have preferred a multi year deal not a one year deal like the Nats gave him. Boras is just posturing for next year.
Zach
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 227
Joined: June 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: do we want Edwin Jackson?

PostPost #30 by ofahn » February 6th, 2012, 9:04 am

Zach wrote:If we were going to get him I would have preferred a multi year deal not a one year deal like the Nats gave him. Boras is just posturing for next year.


I would have PREFERRED NOT to sign him BUT, if we had, I would have preferred the one year deal because I consider him a BIG risk long term. The one year would given us time to see what we have in our young pitchers.

I just think we dodged a bullet with him.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85


PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron